• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doing the dishes

I have a high computer chair(the comfy padded kind..haha) I use to wash dishes, cook, and fold clothes in. Makes a woorrrlldd of difference for me. I can't cook dinner if I have to stand, but I got that chair and I'm back to cooking and baking and loving it. Its a rolly kind, so I can scoot around the kitchen(I know..sounds hilarious but it works!). Though I do cheat because my roommate puts them up for me when I'm feeling particularly puny.

SOC

I didn't know that - I don't want to take this thread off-topic but can you point me at some info about that, SOC? I'm sure I have OI but with delayed symptoms. I've been laughed out of two cardiologists' offices because I don't collapse to the floor within seconds of standing up. But on a 30-min poor man's tilt test, my HR goes up a beat a minute (it would still probably be going up if I was still standing :aghhh:). I can't sit with my feet up for more than 45 mins or so before I have to lie down and I only get an hour a day sitting or standing or walking normally, at most.

Maybe we should start a new thread or you could PM me?

Let's start a new thread. I'm pretty new at this OI thing. I'm sure there are people who know more than I do, so it would be helpful to have more people with experience able to chime in with their knowledge.

alex3619

Aluminium and heat is less of a problem than aluminium and acid. Acidic food will dissolve aluminium and increase absorption, especially under heat. This includes lemon juice and tomato for sure, and probably vinegar.

alex3619

I have a high computer chair(the comfy padded kind..haha) I use to wash dishes, cook, and fold clothes in. Makes a woorrrlldd of difference for me. I can't cook dinner if I have to stand, but I got that chair and I'm back to cooking and baking and loving it. Its a rolly kind, so I can scoot around the kitchen(I know..sounds hilarious but it works!). Though I do cheat because my roommate puts them up for me when I'm feeling particularly puny.

I did my share of scooting around in my computer chair this year. Its our version of roller skating?

My only dishwasher is me. I do it like I do cooking - a minute up, a whole lot of time sitting down. So the first thing I do is soak the dish/es. Rest. Then I clean. Rest. Then I rinse and put in a rack. Rest. All of this with only a few items of course.

I also limit my utensils, cooking gear and plates, like SilverbladeTE . Sadly though there is usually one dirty plate and a cup and something that just sits there like a permanent fixture in the kitchen.