• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tried sublingual cyanocobalamin?

Has anyone tried sublingual cyanocobalamin. If so did you find it drastically less effective per dosage compared to hydroxy or methyl?

I'm trying to find a formulation that is as pure as possible, and cyano might be easier to source. Though also unsure about the cyanide issue and how it compares to normal dietary exposure.

LisaGoddard

Hi, I accidently started using cyanocobalamin (thinking it was Methylb12) and had the normal increase of energy and need for potassium, and then it just stopped being effective ie. my energy levels stopped improving and no matter how much of the cyano that I took, my body stopped needing potassium (this went on for several months). I then realised my mistake and switched back to the methylb12 form and after a few weeks, my energy started to increase again and I started needing potassium and still do.
Rather long winded answer - sorry. Even though it helped to begin with, I think its usefulness is limited.
I also think it would be damaging longterm. I was horrified when I found that I had been taking it.

arx

Has anyone tried sublingual cyanocobalamin. If so did you find it drastically less effective per dosage compared to hydroxy or methyl?

I'm trying to find a formulation that is as pure as possible, and cyano might be easier to source. Though also unsure about the cyanide issue and how it compares to normal dietary exposure.

Yes,I've tried cyano B12. I did find it less effective than methyl. I wouldn't use cyano,but that's my personal choice. There are people on the PA facebook group who prefer cyano to methyl. They say that methyl gives them a bad reaction,but from what I've learnt,that bad reaction(detox/startup) is itself the indicator that methyl is more powerful.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Well, I was taking cyano my whole life. Didn't know better (no one did back then). I have had no effect from any of the B12. I finally dropped it and only take it in my Thorne Basic B complex as mB12. (I think I need more folate than B12 and the amount in the B complex 2x/day seems fine). My whole methylation protocol takes my homocysteine from high down to normal. If I skip the methylation protocol I get very painful joints within a few days and anxiety problems despite that DHEA lessens them. Also depression and schleppiness. Energy? Dunno. Too depressed to know?

antherder

I took sublingual cynano B12 every day for a few months--long before I knew anything about methylation--and it caused severe nausea. Took me a while to work out it was the culprit, of course. I don't tolerate any form of B12 well though.