• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Start-up With Hypokalemia and Paradoxical Folate Insufficiency

Hello Everyone,
I've lurked here for a long time without making significant progress.....until recently. I am quite sure that my methylation has finally kicked in as I feel better than I have for the past 5 years (length of my illness). Here's a quick run-down:

Phase 1: Low and slow titration of MB12 and Mfolate over a period of approximately 1 year eradicated neuropathy, but fatigue, low level mood, abdominal issues, insomnia, and supplement intolerance all continued.

Phase 2: Over a period of 1 year, I used supplements for microbial balance that resulted in incredible detox and small gains in energy and sleep. I continued with taking only MB12 and Mfolate.

Phase 3: I have spent this past year doing coffee enemas, which successfully cleared out a boatload of parasites, toxins, and sludge. I am now adding supplements without feeling like every cell in my body is being dragged down by a toxic load. Magnesium and potassium were the tipping points for methylation. Once I started taking doses throughout the day, my health made a drastic and dramatic turnaround. I feel like myself again (happy and peppy), I am sleeping better than I have for five years, and my energy is great! Being sympathetic nervous dominant, I have never had a time that energy AND sleep increased at the same time!

Phase 4: Yes, now I am dealing with mild hypokalemia as well as mild folate insufficiency. I am definitely one of the people who worsen when eating too many veggies (juicing sent me over the edge). So...........I have upped my methylfolate, stopped juicing, and the skin cracks have disappeared.

I have two questions at this time that I would like to post to this community.
1. Why would I suddenly get a broken blood vessel in my finger (never had one before). Too much magnesium?
2. Should I pursue adding the remaining two ingredients of the Deadlock Quartet, even if I continue feeling well? I realized that things may go out of balance soon.........

Here's my run-down of supplements:

1500 mcg Jarrow sublingual MB12 split into 2 doses
800 mcg Solgar methylfolate split into 2 doses
99 mg potassium citrate 3-4 times per day
150 mg magnesium citrate 3-4 times per day
500 mg. ester C
probiotics
400 iu Vitamin E succinate 2-3 times per week.

I've also been taking cranberry, olive leaf extract, and Candex to deal with viral/fungal issues.

helen1

Therron, way to go, such progress! And your progress is so encouraging to me as we have similar situations. Thanks for laying out your protocols so clearly. If I was you, I would consider increasing potassium. Also am wondering why you're not taking other Bs or omega3s? Are they supplements you still can't tolerate?

Victronix

Yes, good point Helen, it helps balance the Bs to have a B-multi. When I realized the whole thing about folic acid in B-Right I started taking a cheap drugstore one, just for the basics, that also doesn't have methylfolate -- http://www.naturemade.com/products/b-complex/b-complex-with-c . I also take a multi, zinc, Vit D and fish oil. Zinc made a difference. I'm sick far less often now. You also want to find a way to get adenosylcobalamin to work with mB-12.

I don't have any answers about the blood vessel. Maybe Fredd would have an idea.

I myself have not yet made it to the other parts of the Deadlock Quartet, so, also no advice there. Maybe if you think about what is still missing in terms of your health?

To some extent, people also need a mental break sometimes from the constant focus on symptoms, so sometimes just being somewhat healthy, if not fully, for awhile, is helpful, to do normal things and rebuild a social life, etc. But it depends on where you are. The downside of taking it slow is that things drag out that perhaps could have taken much less time . . . but I too get overwhelmed by symptoms, so, am stuck with things taking many months . .. slowly upping something, etc.

helen1

Good point about the problem with B complexes Victronix. I gave up on those and bought each B separately partly to avoid folic acid and also so I could get the amounts that worked for me from each. Therron, you might want to consider that too.

Thank you Helen and Victronix for replying.
Yes, I have had great difficulties with B vitamins in the past. Even a crumb of B complex (active only) made me so hyper! The overstimulation never settled down, and in fact, got progressively worse. I know that I need to try Bs again, but I will definitely add each one separately. I know that I have to limit B6 due to CBS. I think B1/2/3 might be the best place to start.
I'm also considering l-carntitine fumarate since my metabolic profile shows that I have a carnitine deficiency....also horrible mitochondrial function, glutathione deficiency, functional B12 deficiency, poor urea and citric acid cycles, lots of oxidative stress and free radical damage. CBS and SHMT are supposed to be priorities, but I'm not sure of the next step for these.
I forgot to mention that I take small doses of Bionativus minerals too and Molybdenum (to deal with periodic histamine uprisings).
So many things to consider. I hit a bit of a slowdown today.....think I did too much yesterday.....BUT I felt so good. Will have to proceed cautiously so as not to lose gains. Yes, I agree with Victronix that our brains need mental breaks from symptoms. I sometimes go months without looking at the internet, while trying to focus my mind on healing. I really believe that our thinking can help or hinder healing.

Freddd

Thank you Helen and Victronix for replying.
Yes, I have had great difficulties with B vitamins in the past. Even a crumb of B complex (active only) made me so hyper! The overstimulation never settled down, and in fact, got progressively worse. I know that I need to try Bs again, but I will definitely add each one separately. I know that I have to limit B6 due to CBS. I think B1/2/3 might be the best place to start.
I'm also considering l-carntitine fumarate since my metabolic profile shows that I have a carnitine deficiency....also horrible mitochondrial function, glutathione deficiency, functional B12 deficiency, poor urea and citric acid cycles, lots of oxidative stress and free radical damage. CBS and SHMT are supposed to be priorities, but I'm not sure of the next step for these.
I forgot to mention that I take small doses of Bionativus minerals too and Molybdenum (to deal with periodic histamine uprisings).
So many things to consider. I hit a bit of a slowdown today.....think I did too much yesterday.....BUT I felt so good. Will have to proceed cautiously so as not to lose gains. Yes, I agree with Victronix that our brains need mental breaks from symptoms. I sometimes go months without looking at the internet, while trying to focus my mind on healing. I really believe that our thinking can help or hinder healing.

Hi Theron,

I would suggest that you go into the extensive "levels of methylation" thread and read the half a dozen posts that are the various supplements mostly of the Deadlock Quartet and shows which ones were helped by which items. I expect it will be meaningful in understanding what the benefits are of bringing perhaps 3 or 4 levels of healing back on line. TI suspect that in avoiding "overstimulation" you are also avoiding most of the healing. It might further interest you to know that Jarrow is vastly inferior to what it used to be. Right now the only brand I can suggest for neurological and better physical healing is Enzymatic Therapy. It is likely to be far more powerful in effect than the Jarrow. Good luck.

Thanks Freddd. I'll check into Enzymatic Therapy. I have stayed off of Internet research for about the past 6 months, so I'm a bit behind. As you know, I always proceed verrrrryyyyyy slowly, so you are right about my healing being delayed. I do know my body,however, and if I push supplements that cause overstimulation, the train just keeps pushing faster and faster. Not sleeping...EVER....is a ticket to insanity, unemployment, and worsening health for me. With that said, I do know that my gut clearing protocol over the past year has put me in a prime position to make progress with additional methylation supplements. I look forward to consulting with you and the rest of the helpful members here in the coming months. My biggest goal is to increase energy while retaining sleep, and start building muscle strength and endurance so that I can get back to long distance hiking and biking.

Lou

Hi therron,

Are you back to long hikes and distance biking? Hope so. Of the main things you tried which do you feel was more key to your amazing turnaround; methylation, Candex or the enemas? Thanks.