• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Not absorbing B12

Uno

Has anyone here had a problem with the absorption of B12 via injection form.

The patient in question has been having B12 injections for several months but they are not being absorbed by the body and the B12 levels still remain low.

Anyone have a clue or have a link to some papers where this is a problem? Fredd or someone, be much appreciated x

Red04

My wife had cyanocobalamin injections (every other day) for a month and her b12 levels dropped from around 300 to 250. The doctor was puzzled and didn't believe she was injecting properly. Thats how I found the misdiagnosis forum and then eventually found freddds protocol.

If her b12 had gone up, I probably never would have kept looking and she would still be ill. Part of me wanted to thank the doctor for finding this and part of me wanted to smack him for not wanting to look any further. I came back to him with all the misdiagnosis forum and freddds info and some of the literature and he just brushed it off and wouldn't recognize different types of b12, etc....

Ever since being on sublingual ad12 and mb12, she has registered above the maximum values on the blood tests.

PointsNorth

Paulo
I inject every 72 hours and my serum b12 level is high but due to lack of symptom relief I suspect malabsorption. Trying to find a doctor/naturopath who can troubleshoot my problems but this is proving difficult.

PN

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I inject every 72 hours and my serum b12 level is high but due to lack of symptom relief I suspect malabsorption. Trying to find a doctor/naturopath who can troubleshoot my problems but this is proving difficult.

PN

They type of 12 matters hugely--cyanocobalamin is not an active form. Also serum B12 does not measure the B12 that is actually active and of use to the B12. It lumps inactive together with active and is not a very good measure of anything.

Sushi

PointsNorth

Paulo
Thanks Sushi,

I've ordered some methylcob as a nasal spray so hopefully I will see a difference over cyno. I've found methyl sub-lingual not very effective.

PN

dannybex

They type of 12 matters hugely--cyanocobalamin is not an active form. Also serum B12 does not measure the B12 that is actually active and of use to the B12. It lumps inactive together with active and is not a very good measure of anything.

Sushi
I agree with Sushi.

I think Rich used to say that even if one's levels are high, they could be 'functionally inactive', due to low glutathione levels (is that right Sushi?)...

Also, some folks have to use much larger doses (usually of methylcobalamin) to get the levels up. There's a good book on the subject, with lots of case histories:

http://www.amazon.com/Could-It-Be-B12-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884956467

...which of course you could get at your library...no need to pay for it. :)

Gavman

Uno, the main factors would be:
1) basic blood tests are not an accurate measure of b12. If you absorb a nutrient well, it may actually look depleted in serum.
2) that hair mineral analysis is a better diagnostic tool for b12. It shows up as cobalt and if low then check lithium which is required to absorb b12.
3) folate deficiency can impact b12 levels.. some people have a gene that will prevent turning folic acid into its usable form.
4) Various virus/bacterial loads will utilise b12. As it seems vital for detox mechanisms.

Out of that I'd say a hair mineral analysis would be a decent first step.