• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! Food sensitivites getting WORSE with methylation protocol

chilove

Hi all,

I've been on Fredd's protocol for about 2 months now and my food sensitivities are getting worse not better... I'm now reacting to foods that were "safe" for many years and that I ate just a few weeks ago with no problems.

Has anyone else experienced this or can someone help me figure out why?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Sparrow

Maybe your immune system in general is ramping up? Or freaking out a little because there are other toxins floating around now as your body systems start moving again and dealing with the backlog? It could be that part of your immune system was always way stronger than the other, but because both were so low you didn't really notice as much, I guess. Not sure.

Are you certain that the problem is allergy related, and not some other feature of certain foods, or something that happens at a particular time of day? I've had problems with foods before that turned out to instead be a non-allergy issue with something in them (sulfur, etc).

Quercetin can supposedly help to calm down allergies. ...Though you would probably still need time for those you have to fade enough for you to eat those foods again. Immune modulators might be something to try too, though you may not want to go with something too hardcore while you're also implementing the methylation stuff and not yet stable with it. Maybe something like astragalus? That's all I can think of right now.

Food allergies stink. Hope they calm down for you soon!

richvank

Hi all,

I've been on Fredd's protocol for about 2 months now and my food sensitivities are getting worse not better... I'm now reacting to foods that were "safe" for many years and that I ate just a few weeks ago with no problems.

Has anyone else experienced this or can someone help me figure out why?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Hi, Audrey.

Food sensitivities (if they are the IgG type) result from intestinal permeability ("leaky gut syndrome"). Protein fragments from food that have not been completely digested are able to pass from the gut into the blood, and the immune system sees them as foreign proteins and makes IgG antibodies against them. I don't think it's likely that Freddd's protocol would cause more intestinal permeability, so maybe Sparrow is right, and your immune system has become more sensitive.

You may need to work on your gut some, such as by running a comprehensive stool test to see what's going on there in terms of bacteria, yeast, and/or parasites, and treating what needs to be treated to lower the intestinal permeability. The Metametrix G.I. Function profile looks for all of these guys using DNA analysis. It can be ordered through some doctors, or from www.directlabs.com without a doctor's order.

In the meantime, you might consider rotating foods, like on one week and off one week.

Best regards,

Rich

undcvr

Stop the methylation protocol. Eat more fiber/pectin foods to move toxins out of your body. 3 apples a day for a week.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I was in a bad place a couple of weeks ago too, couldn't tolerate any form of protein after doing quite well for a couple of years, a kind person on PR told me about an a/histamine called Zirtek, the active ingredient is cetirizine hydrochloride, Piriteze is the same product too. I started with 1/2 a tablet and made sure someone was around when I took it, always best for those of us with severe allergies, apart from a dry mouth I was fine, and now take 1/2 twice a day, have been able to intoduce meat back into my diet slowly, I can tell my allergic responses are lessened in general. Its not a cure but if it helps get you over this blip then maybe think about trying this or another one, its one of the non sedating ones.
Also maybe lower the methylation doses too until you get to a plateau again?

nanonug

You might be one of those people with too much histamine running around. This person on curezone talks about the histamine issues and reacting badly to folic/mb12. http://curezone.com/forums/s.asp?f=762&c=0&ob=d&m=Laredo7

Isn't methylation necessary to metabolize histamine? If this is so, it would suggest that increasing methylation would lead to lessened allergic response. However, if the person is using folic acid, that could be the problem right there (I actually couldn't see the post on curezone, for some reason.)

Isn't methylation necessary to metabolize histamine? If this is so, it would suggest that increasing methylation would lead to lessened allergic response. However, if the person is using folic acid, that could be the problem right there (I actually couldn't see the post on curezone, for some reason.)

Which methylation steps should be increased?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Hi, Audrey.

Food sensitivities (if they are the IgG type) result from intestinal permeability ("leaky gut syndrome"). Protein fragments from food that have not been completely digested are able to pass from the gut into the blood, and the immune system sees them as foreign proteins and makes IgG antibodies against them. I don't think it's likely that Freddd's protocol would cause more intestinal permeability, so maybe Sparrow is right, and your immune system has become more sensitive.

You may need to work on your gut some, such as by running a comprehensive stool test to see what's going on there in terms of bacteria, yeast, and/or parasites, and treating what needs to be treated to lower the intestinal permeability. The Metametrix G.I. Function profile looks for all of these guys using DNA analysis. It can be ordered through some doctors, or from www.directlabs.com without a doctor's order.

In the meantime, you might consider rotating foods, like on one week and off one week.

Best regards,

Rich

YES! This is just what I would have said only with more detail. However I would go one further (and I don't know if this would work for everyone) but when I had gut permeability, it was cured by taking more ZINC. It takes zinc to make skin. If you do not have enough zinc, your skin will have larger pores as the body spreads out the zinc. Anyway, this is the explanation given for why zinc prevents colds and I figure the gut lining is ALSO SKIN. Anyway, it worked for me.

Take care
Triffid

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
You might be one of those people with too much histamine running around. This person on curezone talks about the histamine issues and reacting badly to folic/mb12. http://curezone.com/forums/s.asp?f=762&c=0&ob=d&m=Laredo7

This may be true for this person, but I will tell you that *I* always have too much histamine and neither more nor less methylation does anything for it. The only thing that methylation does for me allergy wise is stop insect bites from itching. I still get horrific spring and fall allergies. I do not have appreciable food allergies (but I used to have a bad one to wheat and I *knew* I could cure it because I hadn't always had it....zinc is what did it for me). I would say I am still allergic to wheat but that I am mostly desensitized to it (what I mean is that with stress or poor diet the allergy will spring right back). Also I want to point out that allergies are cumulative so (and this is not a cure but a management strategy) if you elminate any other allergens and if that is not enough STOP whatever food item is bothering you for 1 week or so, you can usually go right back to your (bad) habits until next time (which may be only 2 weeks away, but - hey - you've had a normal life for 2 weeks on then not-so-normal for 1 week, a 66% improvement).

Triffid

This may be true for this person, but I will tell you that *I* always have too much histamine and neither more nor less methylation does anything for it. The only thing that methylation does for me allergy wise is stop insect bites from itching. I still get horrific spring and fall allergies. I do not have appreciable food allergies (but I used to have a bad one to wheat and I *knew* I could cure it because I hadn't always had it....zinc is what did it for me). I would say I am still allergic to wheat but that I am mostly desensitized to it (what I mean is that with stress or poor diet the allergy will spring right back). Also I want to point out that allergies are cumulative so (and this is not a cure but a management strategy) if you elminate any other allergens and if that is not enough STOP whatever food item is bothering you for 1 week or so, you can usually go right back to your (bad) habits until next time (which may be only 2 weeks away, but - hey - you've had a normal life for 2 weeks on then not-so-normal for 1 week, a 66% improvement).

When you said more or less methylation, which steps specifically are you referring to? Because methylation has many steps that you can manipulate.

nanonug

So you are saying that supplementing methylfolate should reduce histamine levels?

I am saying that if there are methylation issues due to MTHFR mutations, supplementing with methylfolate instead of folic acid, in appropriate amounts, has a good chance of dealing with excess histamine.

adreno

PR activist
I am saying that if there are methylation issues due to MTHFR mutations, supplementing with methylfolate instead of folic acid, in appropriate amounts, has a good chance of dealing with excess histamine.

But the OP is already supplementing methylfolate, which has only increased histamine (which is why this thread was started).

richvank

Hi, all.

A couple of points:

It's important to distinguish between food allergies (which involve IgE antibodies and histamine produced in the body, and are often permanent) and food sensitivities (which involve "leaky gut" and IgG antibodies and are temporary, so that they go away when the provocative food is withheld). There are also food sensitivities to foods that contain histamine themselves.

Histamine is metabolized intracellularly by a reaction that requires methylation. Extracellularly, which is particularly important for controlling symptoms, histamine is normally metabolized by diamine oxidase, which requires P5P and copper. There is an over-the-counter product called Histame (or Daosin) which augments the action of diamine oxidase and may help with food reactions that involve histamine for people who do not have sufficient diamine oxidase function.

Best regards,

Rich

chilove

That's what I thought! I'm not taking any form of folic acid.. only methyl folate.

chilove

I was also suspecting the immune system being overburdened with increased detoxification theory.. I just don't know for sure though...

chilove

"Well, if the person has certain MTHFR mutations, the use of folic acid would be a mistake. Methylfolate would have to be taken instead. "

I do have MTHFR mutations and am only taking methyfolate.

chilove

Hi, all.

A couple of points:

It's important to distinguish between food allergies (which involve IgE antibodies and histamine produced in the body, and are often permanent) and food sensitivities (which involve "leaky gut" and IgG antibodies and are temporary, so that they go away when the provocative food is withheld). There are also food sensitivities to foods that contain histamine themselves.

Histamine is metabolized intracellularly by a reaction that requires methylation. Extracellularly, which is particularly important for controlling symptoms, histamine is normally metabolized by diamine oxidase, which requires P5P and copper. There is an over-the-counter product called Histame (or Daosin) which augments the action of diamine oxidase and may help with food reactions that involve histamine for people who do not have sufficient diamine oxidase function.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi all

Thanks so much for the responses.

I tested very high in copper and low in zinc. I agree with Rich that it could be leaky gut as I've suspected that in the past but I can't seem to fix it. I've tried several products for it already in the past. I've been taking 30mg of zinc per day for about the last two months.. Maybe I need more

I'm seriously about to go crazy with the sensitivities... I already had a very limited diet (raw fruits and some veggies) and now I'm reacting to any fruit that is brightly colored so I'm suspecting its something to do with the colors...

I'm underweight and have adrenal issues and need to support my body with more nutrition but I have no idea what to try to eat that wont make me feel horrible.

I'm curious to try the Zyrtec for a temporary respite.. I'll also check out the Histame Rich...

Thanks so much!

Audrey