• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suggestions for a good multi-mineral supplement?

I'm new with all of this - SMP... It seems that people need to do some work on getting the minreals in order. Is there a good, all around multi-mineral supplement that's OK to take with the SMP?

Are there any specific things to avoid?

Sparrow

I've been using AOR Ortho-Minerals, and some specifically targeted extras. ...Though they all have their pluses and minuses, and I have yet to find a brand that's perfectly suited to our needs. In general, I've found the higher priced supplements generally much more absorbable and closer to what would be optimal. No use paying half price for something else and then getting much less than half of the value because it just goes straight through or the minerals compete with each other too much for uptake.

Things to look for:
Mostly I would suggest you pay attention to what each mineral is bound to (e.g. if it says "citrate", "malate", "glycinate", "aspartate", etc.). Cheap supplements will often use things like calcium carbonate or magnesium oxide, which are cheap but not generally well-absorbed. Certain ones can be a problem for some people (e.g. "aspartate" is listed as a no-no where possible according to Amy Yasko because it can be extra strain on an already over-excited brain; We are also often high in glycine already, so that may be one to limit if possible, though it does tend to absorb well). Malate will give you malic acid, which may have its own benefits for us (it's been studied in fibromyalgia patients, and may also have benefits against certain heavy metals and muscle issues), so I'm a fan of that one. Selenium in high quality supplements sometimes comes with methionine (a sulfur amino acid), which might be a plus or a minus depending on your view. Some of us have problems with too much sulfur, but we also don't tend to be great at methionine production. Plus, anything bound to an amino acid tends to be very well absorbed. I'm a fan of malate, krebs, and then citrate, followed by the amino acids (lycinate, glycinate, etc.) but that's just me personally. I seem to recall some people having other issues with citric acid.

Other things to watch for are the amount of iron, and possibly copper, depending on your needs. Those are two that people sometimes need to limit.

Hope that helps a little.

The company/product - AOR Ortho-Minerals - seems quite good. I was trying to place an order on a popular vitamin website & they didn't have it. I'm still looking... I see it's Canadian - I may have to get it separately.

Thanks!

Thanks, SOC. It has alot of other nutrients than just minerals. I'm not sure if it will interact with the simplified protocol. I appreciate your suggestion & I'll look into it further. It's a good price.

SOC

Thanks, SOC. It has alot of other nutrients than just minerals. I'm not sure if it will interact with the simplified protocol. I appreciate your suggestion & I'll look into it further. It's a good price.

Duh! Multi-mineral.Just when I think my cognitive ability is improving.... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I think it works with the methylation protocols, you just have to take into account the vitamins in it when you figure out your dosages.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, i use a multimineral spray, formulated by Dr Myhill, which is in a base of DMSO to enable it to be very well absorbed into the skin. I use this becuase i wasnt absorbing the minerals properly through the gut. I dont know if she sells it to non patients

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Transdermal_micronutrients

I do know that she changed the amount of selenium as early results showed that the 8mcg amount per shot wasnt being translated into a change in selenium status. I notice she hasnt put the updated amount on her website. As Selenium is so dangerous in overdose i have cut down the amount i use as it worries me slightly Although Dr M isnt concerned about it.
All the best, justy.

hixxy

I'd recommend against using a multi-mineral that contains 2:1 calcium:magnesium like that AOR. For a disease with a tendency towards magnesium deficiency, 1:1 or even a ratio in favour of magnesium is likely better. The best way to get around this is to take a trace mineral supplement then supplement calcium and magnesium separately.

I used to take Thorne - Pic-mins (best absorbed trace mineral caps around, except it has aspartic acid as a filler). I now take Thorne - Trace Minerals which are all citrates. Seems to still work okay. The Thorne supplements were the only decent trace mineral supplements I could find without having to go for a liquid supplement.

Sparrow

I'd recommend against using a multi-mineral that contains 2:1 calcium:magnesium like that AOR. For a disease with a tendency towards magnesium deficiency, 1:1 or even a ratio in favour of magnesium is likely better.

Good point. I take a lot of additional mineral support that I maybe should have mentioned as well. I agree completely in needing more magnesium. The multi-min without separate ca/mg is an option, like you mentioned, though much harder to find many options for. Doing the multi-min and then adding extra separate magnesium also works well. It seems like many doctors are recommending way higher doses of magnesium than could be obtained through a mixed supplement like that anyway (since the other minerals would end up in doses too high), so either method seems to work out better for us than the pre-made mixes out there on their own.