• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

visit to doctor - discussion of nickel DNA adduct results

globalpilot

Hi Rich and group,

I saw my CFS doctor yesterday. We discussed chelation due to the nickel DNA adduct found on my mitochondrial superoide enzyme DNA as well as on my mitochondiral translocater protein.

He said it doesn't necessarily mean elevated body burden of mercury. He said it couldmean either it is elevated or that there is inflammation causing the mercury to stick to the adduct.

Also, I was wondering myself how well you can translate the results of a small blood sample tothe entire body ? That is, if a molecule of nickel shows up in the sample, could that just be coincidence ? How do we know the metals adducted tothe DNA in my case and to the translocator protein are an issue throughout the body ?

Does anyone have any insights on this.

Regards,
GlobalPilot

richvank

Hi Rich and group,

I saw my CFS doctor yesterday. We discussed chelation due to the nickel DNA adduct found on my mitochondrial superoide enzyme DNA as well as on my mitochondiral translocater protein.

He said it doesn't necessarily mean elevated body burden of mercury. He said it couldmean either it is elevated or that there is inflammation causing the mercury to stick to the adduct.

Also, I was wondering myself how well you can translate the results of a small blood sample tothe entire body ? That is, if a molecule of nickel shows up in the sample, could that just be coincidence ? How do we know the metals adducted tothe DNA in my case and to the translocator protein are an issue throughout the body ?

Does anyone have any insights on this.

Regards,
GlobalPilot

Hi, globalpilot.

(I'm assuming you meant to discuss nickel throughout your post, and that you didn't mean to switch to mercury in your second paragraph.)

I suspect that having nickel bound to DNA and the mito translocator protein in your neutrophils does mean that you have an elevated body burden of nickel. Inflammation could contribute to causing a higher body burden of nickel, in that inflammation involves production of oxidative stress, oxidative stress places a demand on glutathione, tending to lower it, and low glutathione would allow buildup of nickel if you were exposed to it, such as from stainless steel food processing equipment and cookware.

The reason why a blood sample is representative of the body as a whole is that the blood is constantly circulating, and all the cells of the body communicate with it via the extracellular fluid and the lymph system. In addition, there is the dynamic equilibrium concept in chemistry, in which molecules are continually forming bonds and breaking them, so that on the average, what is in the blood will represent what is in the tissue cells fairly well. There are some components that are not evaluated well by blood samples, however, such as magnesium. Most of the magnesium in the body is in the bones and in the tissue cells. Blood serum and even red blood cell testing does not represent the body's magnesium status well. Another one is mercury. Mercury stays in the blood for several weeks, but after that, it is sequestered in the tissues, especially in the kidneys, so blood testing will not give a good indication of the body burden of mercury from chronic exposure. But in the case of nickel, blood testing should be pretty good, because nickel does not get strongly sequestered, as far as I know. The neutrophils have a lifetime of only a few days, so the testing done by AcumenLab on neutrophils should reflect the current levels of nickel.

Best regards,

Rich

aquariusgirl

i think poster carolxyz said she got her nickel down by taking 500mg of methionine.
this is what john mclaren howard recommends.
pls double check the dosage.. I am speaking from memory.

globalpilot

Hi Rich,

Thank you for this explanation.

I am confused by one thing. In your second paragraph you state you think the test may indicate an elevated body burden. But in the last you indicate the testing done by Acumen reflects current levels. Do you mean current exposure ? These seem to be contradictory issues. Am I reading this incorrectly ?

Regards,
GP