• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cofactors & Their Necessity: A Dicussion

I detailed in my first thread how I came down with severe ME/CFS symptoms starting in November 2022 which for the next year or so would continuously evolve in intensity to the point of me being relieved of most of my major bodily functions by summer 2023.

I however found a lifeline solution in December 2023 which sort of came as a culmination of all my research on bodily functions, nutrients, co factors, etc. A large part of that research coming from posts on this forum during the time I was lurking.

I tried many solutions, ranging from basic vitamins to chelation to amino acids, etc. I used the entire kitchen sink in an effort to save myself. But nothing worked until recently, which left me in a reduced state of health. Even basic breathing was starting to become incredibly laborious despite me just being 22 years old and for the majority of this crisis, 21.

The solution that would come to help me was b6 and magnesium, which is most likely down to me having a b6 deficiency. A deficiency induced by excessive folate, biotin and thiamine usage in 2023, alongside usage of metformin in 2022.

But b6 on the many occasions I would use it prior to my recent discovery would give me the most intense neuropathy and brain fog, alongside cracking tinnitus in my ear. I tried p5p but it wasn’t pushing the needle on addressing my symptoms. In-fact, Pyridoxine HCL was more effective in addressing my b6 deficiency symptoms, probably due to it being dosed higher.

The point of this thread however isn’t really just b6, or magnesium. It’s co-factors and the delicate relationship they have with each other. I spent a year reading threads on this website from people desperately trying to seek a fix and one thing which pretty much all their plans lacked was a consideration for co-factors.

For example, if you take b12, or folate, you will have increased demand for potassium. But your body needs magnesium in order to hold onto potassium. Meaning that a cofactor for potassium is magnesium. This alone is what I suspect to be causing the “insatiable hypokalemia” that many people on this forum have during methylation protocols.

You however cannot absorb magnesium without b6, as the homocysteine to cysteine, and furthermore the cysteine to taurine pathway are b6 dependant. Meaning that to solve the magnesium issue needed for solving the potassium issue, you need b6.

A lot of people here would say but you need b2 for b6. Whilst this is true, it’s only half the story. Your body actually uses b6 for the usage and transport of selenium in the body. Selenium is vital for the thyroid hormone necessary to properly convert and utilize B2. Which means that b2 technically is B6 dependant, alongside b6 being b2 dependant.

To absorb B6 in the first place however, regardless of it being pyridoxine, or Pyridoxial-5-phosphate, one needs zinc. Without zinc your body cannot engage in the uptake of b6, as Pyridoxial kinase is zinc dependant.

This is probably why so many people either get little effect from p5p, or negative effects from b6. The threshold for actual b6 toxicity is very high. Iirc it is upwards of 1000mg daily for toxicity to become relevant.

Despite this, people get toxicity on doses as low as 4mg a day. This obviously indicates a co-factor problem, as high blood levels due to your body not being able to engage in uptake of said vitamin, will mimic the symptoms of your blood stream being saturated from extremely high doses of said vitamin being taken, or in other words toxicity.

You also need zinc for riboflavin usage and uptake, as riboflavin kinase is also zinc dependant. Meaning that without zinc you will not absorb b2, b6, and by extension, magnesium, potassium, b12, folate, etc.

Folate also increases the need for b6 alongside b6 increasing the need for folate. They are interdependent in the context of needing each other in order to avert a deficiency.

This is probably one of the reasons why many get depression or other negative symptoms from high doses of methylfolate. You are basically depleting your b6 through increased need, leading to magnesium and therefore potassium deficiency. b2 will also shut down due to the b6 dependant selenium step mentioned before.

Another reason is copper, as you need copper for the conversion of folate to its end products.

Those who take chelation drugs here, like alpha lipoic acid, are also in a world of hurt when it comes to this. I myself took large amounts of alpha lipoic acid towards the end of 2022 which not only depleted many necessary metals like copper, or zinc, or manganese, it also outright depletes Biotin, molybdenum, iodine, etc.

Molybdenum and iodine are necessary cofactors for b2. A deficiency of either leads to b2 shut down and therefore lack of ability to convert most of the B vitamins. Biotin is necessary for the cycling and creation of Adenosylcobalamin, which is the critical form of b12 used in many of the bodies cells. This means Alpha lipoic acid through biotin deficiency can cause functional b12 deficiency.

If you however use biotin however, it can compete with not only Pantothenic acid but also B6 through depletion of lysine. Lysine is important for both the transport and utilization of b6 and b7. If biotin depletes lysine then b6 cannot be transported adequately which leads to b6 toxicity-like symptoms.

B6 through its magnesium absorption effect therefore allows you to absorb both b1 and vitamin D. Which means that you cannot fix either a b1 or vitamin D deficiency without vitamin B6 being adequate. It was listed in studies how b6 deficient groups took longer to correct vitamin D deficiency, which probably is due to lower ability to actually absorb and utilize magnesium.

B1 can also compete with and deplete b6. B6 can deplete b1. Excess b6 will cause beriberi, excess b1 will cause b6 deficiency and magnesium depletion which only means you will be less able to actually utilize b1 in future supplementation.

Folate apparently lowers zinc absorption, which is probably one of the ways it depletes b6 and by extension b2.

B12, without the selenium transport and therefore thyroid hormone effect of b6 activating b2 cannot itself be used. Meaning b6 deficiency will cause functional b12 deficiency.

Taking manganese can possibly deplete your b6 through increased alkaline phosphatase activity which will use up your b6, which should be a worry to those supplementing manganese and riboflavin together.

Copper deficiency will increase need for vitamin D, albeit I’ve yet to discover exactly how.

B6 as mentioned before is necessary for vitamin D. This means that vitamin b6 deficiency by proxy will lead to calcium and phosphorus deficiency.

B1 is also important for thyroid hormone production which is vital to b2.

Niacin, which many people here take, is a vitamin that in excess depletes b6 and b12. By extension from that b6 depletion you will deplete b2.

Depletion of b2 means you will not be able to properly convert niacin. You also need b6 to convert tryptophan to niacin, which means b6 deficiency will drastically increase the requirement for niacin as one critical pathway for niacin production has been effectively shut down.

“overmethylation”, which is something I’ve seen discussed a lot on this website, alongside me believing it for a time and basing my plans on it, is a myth. Overmethylation in the context of a methylation system going into overdrive is actually extremely rare. Feeling the symptoms typically tied to “overmethylation” would prevent such a thing from even occurring in the first place.

One has to remember that the methylation system is dependant on a wide range of cofactors in order to function at all. You are much more likely to be suffering from an induced deficiency somewhere after taking some b12, rather than actual “overmethylation”. I’ve even seen people here claim overmethylation symptoms from b1 and b2, which actively makes no sense.

B2 alone is what stabilizes the MTHFR enzyme and is necessary for the nutrients necessary for methylation to be converted. B1 on its own has little to do with methylation at all.

If you’re taking a bunch of b12 and feel the typical “overmethylation” symptoms of depression, or rapid heart beat, or insomnia, it’s much more likely that you instead have an increased demand for b1 and b2, as b12 places extra demand on those vitamins. Magnesium, potassium, selenium and iodine are also very important.

“overmethylation” from methylfolate isn’t actually overmethylation albeit there’s a higher risk for it as methylfolate actively inhibits methylation regulatory enzymes (like GNMT).

Methylfolate and folate in general as mentioned before increases the need for b6, which therefore increases the needs for a bunch of things related to b6, like magnesium. Folate will also increase demand for zinc which now means the nutrient necessary for even basic uptake of b2 or b6, which folate depletes, is now also in shortage.

If you take a huge gob of folate exceeding a milligram you likely have now just depleted b6, zinc, b2, etc. there’s also a high chance of you depleting b12, as excess folate in relation to b12 will cause b12 deficiency.

I then see people use stuff like niacin in huge dosages to “fix” the overmethylation. Whilst niacin will quench some symptoms, it will only make the issue worse in the long run as niacin depletes b6 and b12. An even lower level of b6 and b12 means your tolerance to folate the next time around will be minimal which will make you reach for the niacin bottle again which only makes things worse until you totally crash. How do I know? Because I’ve been through all that for basically an entire year.

If you’re trying to correct methylation, it’s best to take a B complex. Nobody needs 20mg of folate, it makes no sense. You can tell if you need something when the effect is SUSTAINED.

A need to take huge gobs of folate repetitively with no actual end goal in sight means you’re not actually fixing anything. You’re compensating with a high risk of crash. You’re treating a vitamin like a drug, which is a bad call. Vitamins unlike drugs do not have a guaranteed effect. If you took adderall it’s pretty much guaranteed to make you amped up. If you took Valium it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll feel more calm and sleepy. When it comes to vitamins, or nutrients in general, effect is nutrient status based. Fixing a deficiency will make you feel amped and relieved. Topping up on normal levels will make you feel normal. Creating an excess will make you feel sick.

If you need folate, take a methylated complex with FOLATE. Do not take folate alone. One of the worst mistakes is taking supplements in isolation when these supplements are interdependent on so many factors. Even if your nutrient levels are ok, it doesn’t matter, as your demand for nutrients will skyrocket the minute you take a pill.

The body only stores so much and you can as a result burn through your reserves very fast when subjecting said reserves to constantly increased demand.

Focus on non B vitamin cofactors as they’re necessary for the entire end goal you’re working towards. Don’t just take a multi mineral either. 5mg of zinc will become nothing in comparison to a bunch of folate, a bunch of b6, a bunch of riboflavin, etc. You need at least 20-30 daily to justify the supplementation you commonly see on this website.

This however does not mean taking a crazy dose of co-factors, like 100mg of zinc, as that just creates an excess which now will deplete other important stuff like copper and magnesium.

Cofactors whilst very complicated on the surface are very simple. You have no place taking any vitamin or supplement if you do not have the necessary cofactor for it. Your body doesn’t care if you supplement a bunch of b6 but say don’t have enough zinc to justify it. It’s the equivalent of putting a pot on the stove, dumping in some water and expecting a 5 course fine dining meal from boiling the water.

Whilst a pot and some water can act as the foundation for creating something delicious, more needs to be added to justify putting the pot on the stove in the first place. Otherwise you’re wasting time and in the case of many on this website, widening the distance between you and your much desired goal of recovery.

There’s also people on this website who gained a following and I myself used to follow like Freddd who said stuff like drastically limiting your b2 intake in relation to folate, which to me before made sense but now comes off as complete madness.

No disrespect to him, as he was correct on a fair bit of what he said, but one who deals in the hand of methylation should always understand that b2 is literally the backbone for all methylation nutrients. Folate and b12 become useless or even detrimental when your b2 isn’t up to par. B1 is also very important as it assists b2 and b12 absorption in the first place.

If you have an issue tolerating b1 and b2, that does not mean that these nutrients are bad. Remember that they co-occur in pretty much all major nutrient dense foods. B1 and B2 intolerance rather as elaborated on throughout this thread, means you have a co-factor issue, which spells a very dangerous situation for your methylation goals considering direct methylation factors like b9 and b12 have b2 as a cofactor and share cofactors with b2. If b2 doesn’t work, b9 and b12 likely won’t either. This is also in my opinion likely why people need huge doses of folate to feel something, as deficiencies in cofactors will drastically increase the need for vitamins.

The links for the studies and proof for what I said in this thread will be listed below.

Homocystiene to Cystiene being B6 dependant:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/homocysteine

7.5.4 Homocysteine​

"Homocysteine (HCy) is formed from SAH following the removal of the adenosyl group by the enzyme SAH hydrolase. The two major methyltransferases that contribute to the formation of HCy are phospatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase (PEMT), which synthesizes phosphatidylcholine, and guanidinoacetate N-methyltransferase (GAMT), which synthesizes creatine. Collectively, PEMT and GAMT account for roughly 85% of SAM-dependent transmethylation [47]. Interestingly, in bladder cancer PEMT polymorphisms are associated with the degree of global DNA hypomethylation [48]. HCy can be converted into cysteine by the vitamin B6-dependent enzymes cystathionine β-synthase (CBS) and cystathionine γ-lyase, or recycled by two separate remethylation pathways."

Taurine biosynthesis being B6 dependant (Taurine is derived from Cystiene which is also relevant to above):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0271531705803562
"a vitamin B-6 deficiency of the lactating dam resulted in reduced biosynthesis of taurine in the dam and pup without influencing the availability of endogenous or exogenous taurine in milk."
Selenium usage being dependant on B6:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1802975/
"A significant decrease of GSH-Px activity in liver was found in vitamin B6-deficient animals fed Se-Met compared with vitamin B6-supplemented animals, whereas no significant decrease was observed in those fed SeL.
These results suggest that this vitamin is involved in the transport and deliverance of Se in plasma to the other tissues and the incorporation of Se from Se-Met to GSH-Px in liver. "
B6 and B2 Absorption being Zinc dependant:
B6 article -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw3zOqjhjSJaHwDfDELk8s5X&opi=89978449
B2 article -
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/riboflavin-kinase

"At physiological concentrations, zinc stimulates the activity of pyridoxal kinase, enhancing the formation of pyridoxal phosphate, which in turn enhances the activity of glutamic acid decarboxylase."
"Conversion of riboflavin to coenzymes occurs within the cellular cytoplasm of most tissues, but particularly in the small intestine, liver, heart, kidney, and brain. The obligatory first step is the adenosine 5'-triphosphate (ATP)-dependent phosphorylation of the vitamin catalyzed by flavokinase, which utilizes Zn2+
"
"The FMN product can be complexed with specific apoenzymes to form several functional flavoproteins, but the major portion is further converted to FAD in a second ATP-dependent reaction catalyzed by FAD synthetase, which utilizes Mg2+"
B2 is B6 dependant through magnesium and selenium. It is Zinc dependant through flavokinase.

Folate inhibiting zinc absorption:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6711464/

"Fecal zinc was significantly (p less than 0.001) higher in the group that received folic acid supplements during the initial control and low zinc intake periods. No significant differences were seen during the period of high zinc intake. During all dietary periods urinary zinc excretion was reduced by about 50% by folic acid supplementation. No apparent changes occurred in iron or copper excretion. These data indicate that supplemental folate influences zinc homeostasis, perhaps through formation of an insoluble chelate and impairment of absorption."

Folate increasing B6 need and vice versa:
B6 Lowering folate article - https://www.jstor.org/stable/48507382
Folate increasing B6 need article - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11592449/
"Plasma vitamin B₁₂ and basal homocysteine levels remained unchanged (234.0 ± 27.8 vs. 217.1 ± 50.4 pg/ml and 10.9 ± 4.8 vs. 10.1 ± 3.6 µmol/l). There was no significant effect of vitamin B₆ supplementation on the area under methionine and homocysteine concentration versus time curve. Significant correlations were found between pre- and post-supplement levels of folate as well as PLP levels (r = 0.73, p < 0.05; r = 0.75, p < 0.05). These data suggest that a dose of 25 mg vitamin B₆ supplemented for 10 days reduces plasma folate but did not affect basal and post-prandial homocysteine levels suggesting (1) a normal cellular availability of folate or (2) a compensation of impaired homocysteine remethylation by increased transsulfuration."
"In a pilot study we measured the effect of three different combinations of the vitamins B6, folate and B12 on the serum concentrations of homocysteine, cystathionine and methylmalonic acid in five healthy young men without hyperhomocysteinemia. The results indicate that there are still undescribed interactions between vitamin B6 and folate, suggesting that these two vitamins should be given together to avoid depletion of the one not given. With regard to the well known metabolic pathways of methionine and cysteine, this confirms the hypothesis that a combined supplementation with the vitamins B6 and folate (and B12) is superior to folate alone in order to lower homocysteine."

Niacin depleting B6 and b12:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11895163/
"Supplementation with niacin (1,000 mg/kg diet) for 3 months resulted in a significant increase in plasma and urinary total homocysteine levels; this increase was further accentuated in the presence of a high methionine diet. The hyperhomocysteineaemia was accompanied by a significant decrease in plasma concentrations of vitamins B6 and B12, which are cofactors for the metabolism of homocysteine."
A lowering of blood concentration of b6 and b12 alongside hyper-homocystieneaemia means that b6 and b12 is being wasted by Niacin, rather than Niacin increasing the absorption of these nutrients into tissues and therefore lowering blood concentrations.
In terms of supplementing and what worked for me, I succeeded with a stack based around B6, zinc and magnesium. All the co-factors needed were also taken with the B6. The stack is as follows:

Part 1 - Lysine 500mg (First), Zinc bisglycinate 30mg (Second), B6 HCL 300-500mg (Third), P5P 50mg (Last).

In the first two days of me trying to correct my B6 deficiency, I took a loading dose. Starting with 500mg of HCL and 50mg of P5P for 550mg total of B6, followed by 400mg HCL and 50mg P5P for 450mg total of B6. For the next 12 Days after these initial two days, I took 300mg of B6 HCL alongside 50mg of P5P for a combined total of 350mg B6. For the next two weeks I plan to lower this total to 250mg of total B6, with me taking 200mg HCL and 50mg P5P.

Part 2 - Selenomethionine 200mcg (First), Iodine from kelp 800-1600mcg (Second), Riboflavin 200mg (Third), Benfotiamine 160mg (Last).

Part 3 - Magnesium Bisglycinate 200-600mg (First), Hydroxo B12 1-2mg (Second), Methylfolate or folic acid 1-2mg (Last).

From viewing this stack some might ask why the B6 dose is so high, and the answer to that would be to of course correct B6 deficiency. However the necessity of other vitamins and nutrients cannot be overstated. As said before, B6 without B1 for any duration of time will give you a one way to ticket to beriberi very fast.

For that reason i'm taking 160mg of benfotiamine with every B6 supplement. When trying to fix a deficiency of a certain B vitamin, you want to take that vitamin with all it's cofactors whilst ensuring that the dose of the supplement for the nutrient you're deficient in is the highest dosed supplement in your stack. If for example you took 100mg of B6 to fix your B6 deficiency but also took 200mg of benfotiamine or Allithiamine with your B6, your B6 deficiency won't actually be fixed, since your B1 will be inhibiting any significiant increase in B6.

You however should not take way more of one supplement than the other. For example if you have a folate deficiency and as a result take all it's cofactors but take 20mg of folate in comparison to maybe 1mg in B12, you will still run into problems due to cofactors being depleted by the sheer demand induced by high intake of folate. Take more but not much more.

The high magnesium intake is for increasing my blood level of magnesium which was depleted as a consequence of b6 deficiency. Lysine is necessary for transport of B6 and without sufficient lysine, you will have a much greater buildup of b6 in your blood stream after even minimal supplementation of B6. Zinc as elaborated on earlier in this post is necessary for Pyridoxial kinase. Any B6 taken without sufficent zinc is effectively a sugar pill as the enzymes needed to convert b6 will not have the nutrients to convert the b6 you are taking.

Riboflavin is of course to help the B6, Folate and b12 along.

This doesn't mean you should take B6, as with everything health wise, this is a deeply personal issue. If you do not have a B6 deficiency and take a huge amount of b6 you're not only wasting time, but you are potentially hurting yourself with B6 Toxicity. You should however use this as a framework for how and why you supplement. Or why and how you fix health problems in general. Focus on CO-FACTORS above all when trying to fix potential deficiencies. The lack of care for this on this site is why I think many either do not find a solution in time before symptoms become totally disabling, or instead are stuck taking huge doses of one nutrient which inevitably leads to a crash and ultimately a regression to square one.

linusbert

can we have a mind map of this?

very interesting compilation.

in my regards,
when i take b vitamins my asthma and allergies are getting worse.
a few years ago vitamin D would fix asthma/allergies for a week or two , nowadays it doesnt do anything.
i have a persistent copper, sod, coeruloplasmin deficiency but supplementing copper is very very bad for me (very very bad vertigo). i cant take it as supplement. i can take chocolate though but i do not have the feeling this fixes anything.
i always take multivitamin with mg, pot, zink and chocolate.

in my regards,
a few years ago vitamin D would fix asthma/allergies for a week or two , nowadays it doesnt do anything.
i have a persistent copper, sod, coeruloplasmin deficiency but supplementing copper is very very bad for me (very very bad vertigo). i cant take it as supplement. i can take chocolate though but i do not have the feeling this fixes anything.
Vitamin D also gave me benefits for a week at high dosages and then after that completely stopped working whatsoever.

What I eventually found out is that I had magnesium deficiency. Magnesium deficiency will cause vitamin D to induce magnesium wasting and more intensified magnesium deficiency as a result of the body scraping together what magnesium it could to transport and use vitamin D.

If vitamin D helped you with some symptoms and ceased to help you after a certain period, it’s likely magnesium deficiency that’s the culprit. Your body doesn’t have the tools to actually use vitamin D. This doesn’t mean you should take high dosages though, as that will just skyrocket your magnesium need.

B6 is necessary for copper absorption as well. If you can’t tolerate copper then it would be good to build up your zinc, b6, b2 and b1 prior.

Folate is also lowered by copper which can be a possible signal for the direction you should go in if copper gives you negative symptoms. I myself also couldn’t tolerate copper supplements at all in 2022 or most of 2023 and instead had to make do with cacao powder. This worked to an extent but didn’t really address the main issue.

Multi vitamin doses aren’t enough to push the needle on actual deficiencies, they’re more geared towards topping up an already existing diet and stabilized nutrition levels. Imo you might need a high quality methyl B complex, non citrate magnesium, iodine, selenium and Zinc for a few weeks to get your body ready for copper and vitamin D absorption.

You also cannot really absorb copper without vitamin D. They’re interdependent but you should get vitamin D solved first and by extension, b6/zinc/magnesium.

If B vitamins directly make your asthma and allergies worse, then that means you likely aren’t converting them, due to the previously mentioned lack of co-factors.

Also look into lysine for B6 absorption if you have issues with b6 transport and utilization.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

in my regards,
You should also look into vitamin A as vitamin A is an important cofactor for ceuroplasmin and by extension, Copper bioavailability. Taking vitamin D for a significant period of time without vitamin A may of caused lower ceuroplasmin which makes copper less bioavailable.

This however doesn’t mean you should take vitamin A in high dosages or take vitamin A alone. There’s supplements that come packaged with both Vitamin A and D in a proper ratio. NOW brand has one.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmullin30

This is probably why so many people either get little effect from p5p, or negative effects from b6. The threshold for actual b6 toxicity is very high. Iirc it is upwards of 1000mg daily for toxicity to become relevant.

Despite this, people get toxicity on doses as low as 4mg a day. This obviously indicates a co-factor problem
Great post and I agree with almost everything except the above. Pyridoxine is a known neurotoxin in high amounts and simply having proper cofactors may not be sufficient to prevent susceptible individuals from developing small fiber neuropathy and the amount may be very individual. I developed severe autonomic and sensory small fiber neuropathy on 100 mg per day of p5p and I was taking all of the cofactors you identified. I would encourage extreme caution with any high dose use of vitamin B6. The nerve damage is caused by known neurotoxin becoming trapped in the small fiber nerve cells and is not dependent on blood levels. Many people who suffer from B6 toxicity symptoms did not take high dose b6. If you are taking B6 and develop heart palpitations or paresthesia, or blood volume issues, it could be due to small fiber neuropathy caused by b6 toxicity.

I went down the rabbit hole of very high dose methyl folate and methylb12 and I now realize my needs were likely so high due to the high doses of b6 I was taking. I don't supplement with B6 at all now and my folate and b12 needs are minimal now and I don't even need them every day. The vast majority of people will get enough b6 from food especially if they eat meat.

The other important aspect in all of this with respect to absorption is oxalates which are obviously also intimately linked with B6. Severely restricting my oxalate intake has resulted in fantastic results and again is a contributor to needing much less supplementation especially b6 and the minerals.

Last edited:

Wishful

I can see codependency being an issue for some people, ones who have one or more links that aren't working properly (ie. can't absorb Vit x or convert y to z adequately). I think that for people without special nutrient disabilities, a well-balanced diet should provide all the nutrients at adequate levels, with excesses being disposed of by the appropriate mechanisms. So, if you don't see an improvement from eating a lot of meat and eggs and veggies, it's unlikely that you will find the "magic combination" of supplements that will help.

That doesn't mean that someone couldn't benefit from supplements at levels way beyond regular diet. ME seems so complex that nothing can be ruled out. I do think that the risk/benefit ratio for such experimentation is so high that there are better experiments to try first. Your post shows the complex risk of unbalancing homeostatic nutrient levels. Supplements certainly can be useful, but they aren't simple or risk-free.

linusbert

not sure about that.
body needs perfect functioning of stomach and guts. also it needs energy / atp to absorp nutrition and keep balance.
supplements provide high dose circumventing active atp dependent mechanism and can be absorbed passively. that can be in itself be good or bad, because too much of a thing shoved into the cell needs to be pushed out again, requiring atp.
so its complicated.

I can see codependency being an issue for some people, ones who have one or more links that aren't working properly (ie. can't absorb Vit x or convert y to z adequately). I think that for people without special nutrient disabilities, a well-balanced diet should provide all the nutrients at adequate levels, with excesses being disposed of by the appropriate mechanisms. So, if you don't see an improvement from eating a lot of meat and eggs and veggies, it's unlikely that you will find the "magic combination" of supplements that will help.

That doesn't mean that someone couldn't benefit from supplements at levels way beyond regular diet. ME seems so complex that nothing can be ruled out. I do think that the risk/benefit ratio for such experimentation is so high that there are better experiments to try first. Your post shows the complex risk of unbalancing homeostatic nutrient levels. Supplements certainly can be useful, but they aren't simple or risk-free.
This is the truth. Food is by far the best way to maintain nutrient status as both vitamins and cofactors are found in abundant amounts within food.

This post is moreso meant to detail the necessity of co-factors when supplementation is considered. In my opinion however I do still think that you will need concentrated doses of vitamins to push the needle on severe deficiencies though, with a plan to transition back to food in the near future. Supplementation at most should be used as a stop gap measure.

Anything more than that in my experience at least has been correlated with big issues.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
agree...my brain is swimming. Even just a list of things to take each day if you could @BlackoutXL? please. :please:

Also meant to ask someone else this previously (@datadragon???) but wonder if it would be possible for people who post things to underline instead of bolding.

My brain and eyes won't let me read/comprehend lines of bolding. The words literally move on the page when I see those. And it doesn't help if I change to dark mode either. :(

Edit: Didn't mean to sound negative though. I truly appreciate all the effort you went to to share this with us @BlackoutXL!!!!

Last edited:
agree...my brain is swimming. Even just a list of things to take each day if you could @BlackoutXL? please. :please:

Also meant to ask someone else this previously (@datadragon???) but wonder if it would be possible for people who post things to underline rather instead of bolding.

My brain and eyes won't let me read/comprehend lines of bolding. The words literally move on the page when I see those. And it doesn't help if I change to dark mode either. :(
I can’t tell you what exactly to take every day as that’s dependant on your personal health status.

However i can at least say that for everything you take in terms of supplements, it is wise to first research what nutrients it competes with, what nutrients it inhibits, what nutrients it needs for conversion, etc.

There’s a website I’ve been using this year called return2health.com.au for vitamin / nutrient interactions and cofactors. I’ve also used this site of course and pubmed. But the simplest most straightforward of the bunch would be return2health. I’ll link it below

https://return2health.com.au/articles/vitamin-mineral-antagonists

in my case this site has been essential in at least having a general idea of nutrient interactions. It doesn’t list everything but imo it’s a start

Wishful

I can’t tell you what exactly to take every day as that’s dependant on your personal health status.
It also depends on individual ME responses. Regardless of what some theory (based on healthy individuals) says, your response due to ME might be strongly negative. B3 was (haven't tested significant doses recently) awful for me, and B12 made me strongly suicidal once. What theory explains that?

However i can at least say that for everything you take in terms of supplements, it is wise to first research what nutrients it competes with, what nutrients it inhibits, what nutrients it needs for conversion, etc.
My suggestion is to not put too much weight on that. If you put too much faith in those theories meant for healthy individuals, you might develop too strong psychological effects, such as panicking because you feel a bit worse one day and become convinced that your Ba is depleting your copper which means your Bb conversion might become completely blocked and you might die at any moment!!! Moderation is wise.

How do multivitamins relate to balance? If you don't have a significant abnormality in nutrient absorption/processing, should you expect that a typical multivitamin tablet will provide suitable balance? If you do notice a negative effect from a large dose of a supplement, then it makes sense to check cofactors and experiment with them. Likewise if you notice symptoms that match a nutrient deficiency; maybe you're missing a cofactor needed to absorb/process it.

lenora

Well, @BlackoutXL, it seems to take youth to tackle this subject. I'm glad your only 22, well not glad because you shouldn't have to deal with any of this at your age, but I hope you know what I mean.

That's quite a description of vitamins, supplements, etc. I've been hearing more and more about zinc and I was ready to ask you about the form of mg. you take, when you gave the answer. Thank-you.

I'm an older woman (going on 77) who has had this for many, many years. One could play around with viramins, etc., more when I started. Today it's almost as if too much is known and it quickly becomes confusing. Still, if one understands this world, then you're input is most valuable.

I used to keep a notebook full of info concerning things you mentioned. In a fit of anger one day, I threw it away (one can still be childish at times in old age. Just not often.) I hope you'll continue to do better....you're definitely at the age when recovery and searching for answers are both possible. Good luck to you. Yours, Lenora

datadragon

Yes, understanding cofactors can be helpful, as well as the functions of the nutrient as a deficiency can then create a further cascade of effects due to complex nutrient interrelationships and requirement in other functions. However the core problem Ive found is more that specific cofactors become unavailable/deficient as a side effect of inflammation/infection. One key is that under inflammatory conditions zinc uptake/absorption is lowered as well as made less available for the body to utilize which creates the cascade of effects I've been mentioning in numerous posts. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-b6-production-utilization.57030/post-2440317

Yes, Vitamin B6 normally needs Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B2 (flavin mononucleotide (FMN); also known as riboflavin-5’-phosphate) in the conversion to active B6 (P5P). Supplementation with high concentrations of the pyridoxine form of Vitamin B6 competitively inhibits the active Pyridoxal 5' phosphate (P5P) form however, which actually then leads to a decreased vitamin B6 function rather than enhancing it https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0887233317301959?via=ihub

You sound like your interested in the work of David L. Watts, Ph.D. and the late Dr Paul Eck related to Nutrient interrelationships https://cancercelltreatment.com/2015/01/31/mineral-vitamins/

The other important aspect in all of this with respect to absorption is oxalates which are obviously also intimately linked with B6. Severely restricting my oxalate intake has resulted in fantastic results and again is a contributor to needing much less supplementation especially b6 and the minerals.

Great post and I agree with almost everything except the above. Pyridoxine is a known neurotoxin in high amounts and simply having proper cofactors may not be sufficient to prevent susceptible individuals from developing small fiber neuropathy and the amount may be very individual. I developed severe autonomic and sensory small fiber neuropathy on 100 mg per day of p5p and I was taking all of the cofactors you identified. I would encourage extreme caution with any high dose use of vitamin B6. The nerve damage is caused by known neurotoxin becoming trapped in the small fiber nerve cells and is not dependent on blood levels. Many people who suffer from B6 toxicity symptoms did not take high dose b6. If you are taking B6 and develop heart palpitations or paresthesia, or blood volume issues, it could be due to small fiber neuropathy caused by b6 toxicity.

For oxalates - The liver enzyme AGT is responsible for converting glyoxylate, the precursor molecule to oxalates, into the much-needed amino acid glycine. AGT requires Vitamin B6 to function.
Thus the faster the AGT enzyme is functioning, the more rapidly our liver can convert glyoxylate into glycine, preventing the production of oxalates. And since AGT requires B6, we can see how a bit more active P5P B6 levels may be needed to increase the speed and function of AGT leading to fewer oxalate molecules being formed. high oxalates cause our body to lose Vitamin B6 as well as sulfate. https://www.beyondmthfr.com/side-high-oxalates-problems-sulfate-b6-gut-methylation/

Low vitamin B6 increases urine oxalate/kidney stone risk. hyperoxaluria has been successfully reduced with vitamin B6 (Murthy 1982; Nath 1990; Kim 2014; Mitwalli 1988; Massey 2003). Kidney stone risk was 34% lower in women who consumed the most vitamin B6 per day from diet/supplements compared with those who consumed the least in a 14-year study in 85 557 women, (Curhan 1999). B6 requires zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B2 to convert to the active P5P form. Blood levels may show high from non conversion, if so maybe look into a low dose of active P5P and those nutrients to convert any excess B6 that is not converting to P5P.

It appears that zinc and magnesium are cofactors needed to facilitate B6 entry into the cell as well as also mentioned that deficiency/unavailability may impair utilization of vitamin B6 during inflammation/infection even when supplementing https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-b6-production-utilization.57030/post-2440317

The active form of Vitamin B6 (P5p) prevents IL-1β production by inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome activation and suggest its potential for preventing inflammatory diseases driven by the NLRP3 inflammasome so again a shift into inflammation like a see saw. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27733681/

Oxalates can be tested with organic acids test, as well as inflammation such as high sensitivity c-reactive protein https://mosaicdx.com/test/organic-acids-test/

Foods especially high in oxalates are often foods thought to be otherwise healthy, including spinach, beets, chocolate, peanuts, wheat bran, tea, cashews, pecans, almonds, berries, and many others. People now frequently consume “green smoothies” in an effort to eat “clean” and get healthy, however, they may actually be sabotaging their health. The most common components of green smoothies are spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and arugula, all of which are loaded with oxalates. These smoothies also often contain berries or almonds, which have high amounts of oxalates as well. Oxalates are not found in meat or fish at significant concentrations. Daily adult oxalate intake is usually 80-120 mg/d. A single green smoothie with two cups of spinach contains about 1,500 mg of oxalate, a potentially lethal dose. Most likely this is problematic due to being under inflammation/infection conditions and therefore having low zinc levels impacting B6. A low oxalate diet until inflammation is resolved may therefore help as you seem to have found as well.

Cecal propionate and butyrate were significantly reduced in Low Vitamin B6 rats irrespective of sex. Host vitamin B6 deficiency but not excess significantly alters gut microbial composition and its metabolites. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7693528/ Zinc also is known to lead to those conditions of impaired gut barrier (leaky gut) and changes in the microbiome toward a more inflammatory state with low butyrate, the mechanisms I have.

I went down the rabbit hole of very high dose methyl folate and methylb12 and I now realize my needs were likely so high due to the high doses of b6 I was taking. I don't supplement with B6 at all now and my folate and b12 needs are minimal now and I don't even need them every day. The vast majority of people will get enough b6 from food especially if they eat meat.

A deficient/unavailable zinc can create a methylation block. It makes sense to me as homocysteine is inflammatory and your body is shifting to an inflammatory state. The low b6 also adds to this. B12 appears to react with superoxide when glutathione is depleted and in doing so causing further reduction of b12 as well. This may happen with ongoing inflammation or infection as zinc uptake is lowered and further becomes unavailable to utilize and is needed as a glutathione cofactor. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/staggering-incompetence.90602/post-2444374

Last edited:
Yes, understanding cofactors can be helpful, as well as the functions of the nutrient as a deficiency can then create a further cascade of effects due to complex nutrient interrelationships and requirement in other functions. However the core problem Ive found is more that specific cofactors become unavailable/deficient as a side effect of inflammation/infection. One key is that under inflammatory conditions zinc uptake/absorption is lowered as well as made less available for the body to utilize which creates the cascade of effects I've been mentioning in numerous posts. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-b6-production-utilization.57030/post-2440317

Yes, Vitamin B6 normally needs Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B2 (flavin mononucleotide (FMN); also known as riboflavin-5’-phosphate) in the conversion to active B6 (P5P). Supplementation with high concentrations of the pyridoxine form of Vitamin B6 competitively inhibits the active Pyridoxal 5' phosphate (P5P) form however, which actually then leads to a decreased vitamin B6 function rather than enhancing it https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0887233317301959?via=ihub

You sound like your interested in the work of David L. Watts, Ph.D. and the late Dr Paul Eck related to Nutrient interrelationships https://cancercelltreatment.com/2015/01/31/mineral-vitamins/

For oxalates - The liver enzyme AGT is responsible for converting glyoxylate, the precursor molecule to oxalates, into the much-needed amino acid glycine. AGT requires Vitamin B6 to function.
Thus the faster the AGT enzyme is functioning, the more rapidly our liver can convert glyoxylate into glycine, preventing the production of oxalates. And since AGT requires B6, we can see how a bit more active P5P B6 levels may be needed to increase the speed and function of AGT leading to fewer oxalate molecules being formed. high oxalates cause our body to lose Vitamin B6 as well as sulfate. https://www.beyondmthfr.com/side-high-oxalates-problems-sulfate-b6-gut-methylation/

Low vitamin B6 increases urine oxalate/kidney stone risk. hyperoxaluria has been successfully reduced with vitamin B6 (Murthy 1982; Nath 1990; Kim 2014; Mitwalli 1988; Massey 2003). Kidney stone risk was 34% lower in women who consumed the most vitamin B6 per day from diet/supplements compared with those who consumed the least in a 14-year study in 85 557 women, (Curhan 1999). B6 requires zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B2 to convert to the active P5P form. Blood levels may show high from non conversion, if so maybe look into a low dose of active P5P and those nutrients to convert any excess B6 that is not converting to P5P.

It appears that zinc and magnesium are cofactors needed to facilitate B6 entry into the cell as well as also mentioned that deficiency/unavailability may impair utilization of vitamin B6 during inflammation/infection even when supplementing https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-b6-production-utilization.57030/post-2440317

The active form of Vitamin B6 (P5p) prevents IL-1β production by inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome activation and suggest its potential for preventing inflammatory diseases driven by the NLRP3 inflammasome so again a shift into inflammation like a see saw. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27733681/

Oxalates can be tested with organic acids test, as well as inflammation such as high sensitivity c-reactive protein https://mosaicdx.com/test/organic-acids-test/

Foods especially high in oxalates are often foods thought to be otherwise healthy, including spinach, beets, chocolate, peanuts, wheat bran, tea, cashews, pecans, almonds, berries, and many others. People now frequently consume “green smoothies” in an effort to eat “clean” and get healthy, however, they may actually be sabotaging their health. The most common components of green smoothies are spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and arugula, all of which are loaded with oxalates. These smoothies also often contain berries or almonds, which have high amounts of oxalates as well. Oxalates are not found in meat or fish at significant concentrations. Daily adult oxalate intake is usually 80-120 mg/d. A single green smoothie with two cups of spinach contains about 1,500 mg of oxalate, a potentially lethal dose. Most likely this is problematic due to being under inflammation/infection conditions and therefore having low zinc levels impacting B6. A low oxalate diet until inflammation is resolved may therefore help as you seem to have found as well.

Cecal propionate and butyrate were significantly reduced in Low Vitamin B6 rats irrespective of sex. Host vitamin B6 deficiency but not excess significantly alters gut microbial composition and its metabolites. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7693528/ Zinc also is known to lead to those conditions of impaired gut barrier (leaky gut) and changes in the microbiome toward a more inflammatory state with low butyrate, the mechanisms I have.

A deficient/unavailable zinc can create a methylation block. It makes sense to me as homocysteine is inflammatory and your body is shifting to an inflammatory state. The low b6 also adds to this. B12 appears to react with superoxide when glutathione is depleted and in doing so causing further reduction of b12 as well. This may happen with ongoing inflammation or infection as zinc uptake is lowered and further becomes unavailable to utilize and is needed as a glutathione cofactor. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/staggering-incompetence.90602/post-2444374
I agree with pretty much everything you said apart from high doses of pyridoxine inhibiting Pyridoxial.

It’s a multi factor issue that isn’t really as simple as that. Once has to first ask what the present nutrient status is first. If one already has stable levels of B6 then I can see how pyridoxine would inhibit active B6 probably through increased demand on co-factors and nutrient shut down as a result. Or conversion enzyme negative feedback.

However if one’s B6 levels are low, high doses of pyridoxine will not inhibit B6 function. I both can attest to this personally alongside studies even detailing how pyridoxine supplementation increases Pyridoxial-5-phosphate concentrations and reverses B6 deficiency. I will link the study below.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16277693/

Well, @BlackoutXL, it seems to take youth to tackle this subject. I'm glad your only 22, well not glad because you shouldn't have to deal with any of this at your age, but I hope you know what I mean.

That's quite a description of vitamins, supplements, etc. I've been hearing more and more about zinc and I was ready to ask you about the form of mg. you take, when you gave the answer. Thank-you.

I'm an older woman (going on 77) who has had this for many, many years. One could play around with viramins, etc., more when I started. Today it's almost as if too much is known and it quickly becomes confusing. Still, if one understands this world, then you're input is most valuable.

I used to keep a notebook full of info concerning things you mentioned. In a fit of anger one day, I threw it away (one can still be childish at times in old age. Just not often.) I hope you'll continue to do better....you're definitely at the age when recovery and searching for answers are both possible. Good luck to you. Yours, Lenora
I take NOW zinc bisglycinate 30-60mg softgels. It works pretty well for me.

I also wish you good luck in finding solutions.

It also depends on individual ME responses. Regardless of what some theory (based on healthy individuals) says, your response due to ME might be strongly negative. B3 was (haven't tested significant doses recently) awful for me, and B12 made me strongly suicidal once. What theory explains that?

My suggestion is to not put too much weight on that. If you put too much faith in those theories meant for healthy individuals, you might develop too strong psychological effects, such as panicking because you feel a bit worse one day and become convinced that your Ba is depleting your copper which means your Bb conversion might become completely blocked and you might die at any moment!!! Moderation is wise.

How do multivitamins relate to balance? If you don't have a significant abnormality in nutrient absorption/processing, should you expect that a typical multivitamin tablet will provide suitable balance? If you do notice a negative effect from a large dose of a supplement, then it makes sense to check cofactors and experiment with them. Likewise if you notice symptoms that match a nutrient deficiency; maybe you're missing a cofactor needed to absorb/process it.
As for what you initially said, I have Some hypotheses on what caused those negative reactions to B3 and B12. These hypotheses are of course just my opinion and based on my own experiences and research, but i think it maybe relevant here.

A negative response to B3 can indicate many things. I mentioned in my OP that B3 can deplete B6 and b12, alongside increasing homocysteine, so that’s one reason why b3 can cause a negative response.

B3 increases copper need. It also increases molybdenum iirc, which can indicate excess molybdenum to copper already in the body. Niacin increases blood sugar and increases insulin resistance. There’s also apparently an interaction between vitamin A and niacin. There’s many things at play here beyond what I have listed or even know but from my view this could possibly explain that

As for b12, I myself had very bad reactions to b12 for a time. It could mean many things.

One could be biotin deficiency, as increased b12 will put stress on biotin for cycling of methylcobalamin to adenosylcobalamin. This of course leads to less biotin and further VMAT2 shutdown as VMAT2 is biotin dependant. Low VMAT2 activity lowers dopamine and can cause depression type symptoms.

B12 increases demand for magnesium which can cause magnesium deficiency in cases of already low magnesium status, which by extension depletes potassium.

Magnesium is also important for riboflavin conversion which means b12 puts pressure on riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency from increased demand = shut down of most B vitamins, including b6, which shuts down dopamine production further and amino acid utilization.

B12 increases demand for folate as both are needed in proper proportion to each other. Low folate = methylation shut down and low BH4. Low BH4 lowers neurotransmitter production, leading to depressive symptoms.

B12 drastically increases demand for thiamine. Thiamine deficiency can cause both neurological issues and depression. B12 also puts demand on zinc.

B12 increases demand for selenium and iodine. If b6 isn’t in place you will have a big issue as now you have Increased demand for something you cannot transport or properly utilize (selenium).

The form of b12 is also significant. Cyanocobalamin and Hydroxocobalamin are more co-factor dependant as they are not active.

Methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin are both active and therefore not co-factor dependant for conversion but are still co-factor dependant to an even larger degree than non active b12 through non-regulated activation of processes and enzymes due to a huge burst in b12 concentration.

I still personally remember taking Methyl and adenosylcobalamin without co-factors in place and whilst I felt good initially I felt horrible later on because of a Bunch of my bodily processes being put into overdrive without the fuel to maintain said activity.

This of course isn’t going to be a 1:1 match with your experience which is why we have different perspectives but do I think that there are explanations for what you listed beyond ME.

This approach to co-factors you’re listing in your hypothetical is already incorrect. You’re supposed to take co-factors in the order of their importance before said vitamin so that you don’t feel bad at all and can actually convert said vitamin.

This is why for example you’re supposed to take Magnesium before vitamin D, instead of vitamin D before magnesium, as vitamin D taken before magnesium will cause severe magnesium deficit + wasting if you’re low on magnesium which will take even more magnesium to correct in comparison to just taking it before vitamin D. The same would apply to copper in this situation.

I agree on the psychological aspect you’re listing, however that only becomes a problem when you stop researching and start hypothesizing, where you begin listing many different things in your head that could’ve contributed to your negative response.

When you invest real legit time into finding out about as many co-factors as possible alongside taking them beforehand, the situation you’re listing is minimized. This applies to both healthy and unhealthy people as you still need the building blocks to reach your desired conclusion if you’re unhealthy, infact in such situation you need even more building blocks than a healthy person.

I do agree though that moderation is wise. You indeed shouldn’t totally obsess over co-factors themselves and inevitably lose sight over the nutrient and general situation. Both are equally important.

A multi vitamin will indeed provide adequate balance if you already are fine in terms of nutrient levels. That alongside food will provide you the best protection from nutrient issues over the long term.

datadragon

This is why for example you’re supposed to take Magnesium before vitamin D, instead of vitamin D before magnesium, as vitamin D taken before magnesium will cause severe magnesium deficit + wasting if you’re low on magnesium which will take even more magnesium to correct in comparison to just taking it before vitamin D.
Yes. Vitamin D is converted to its active form and utilized when you also take magnesium, and helps keep your levels optimal around 30 ng/ml (for most people but there are exceptions Im finding such as potentially people with Blood Type As). Research is showing that Magnesium does not continue to raise Vitamin D levels over 30ng/ml but brings them back down when higher back to around that level. Magnesium was found to have a regulating effect, raising and lowering vitamin D levels based on the original starting baseline 25(OH)D levels. In those people who had a baseline 25-D level of 30 ng/ml or below, magnesium supplementation raised up their 25-D level as expected. However, In those who started out with higher 25-D baseline levels starting around 30 ng/ml (75 nmol/L) up to 50 ng/ml (125 nmol/L), magnesium supplementation LOWERED THEIR 25-D levels back down, not raised 25-D levels to even higher levels that some suggest is an optimal level (it appears its not according to many new research findings that needs to be reconsidered). Magnesium regulates vitamin D levels, low magnesium impedes your body's ability to utilize vitamin D, even when it's present or taken by supplementation. Magnesium deficiency shuts down the vitamin D synthesis and metabolism pathways. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916522030581 This is just one piece I have shared before.

The same would apply to copper in this situation.
Its also not generally known that under inflammation the cofactors for ceruloplasmin are depleted. Zinc is also involved in Vitamin A metabolism (and vice versa) and which is required for ceruloplasmin production needed to make both copper and iron bioavailable (usable). The problem is again more that the zinc and Vitamin A become unavailable/deficient during inflammation/infection and so for most cases causing a deficiency of usable copper despite plenty of intake. It has been explained that it is kind of like being in the middle of the ocean surrounded by water, yet still starved of usable water to drink. Zinc deficiency further increases copper, again it all makes sense looking at it via a shift to a inflammation state. Its possible to check serum copper and serum ceruloplasmin (the usable copper) and can calculate free copper levels unbound to ceruloplasmin but this is a spot check at the time of the test only and does not reflect any long term accumulation in the tissues over time. This is more key for alzheimers I found that I mentioned briefly some of that before on the forums here as well, although high copper and a deficiency may play important roles for some people with mitochondial function. We see in this thread that a high unbound copper and low zinc and butyrate can be one reason which leads to ER stress, higher WASF3 levels and disruption of mitochondrial function https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.90582/post-2441994

I agree with pretty much everything you said apart from high doses of pyridoxine inhibiting Pyridoxial.
You will need to read that study. They found it is both a toxic form of B6 (so unfortunately went beyond just the inhibition issue) and that both pyridoxal-5-phosphate dependent enzymes were inhibited by pyridoxine. Now if you are not in a high state of inflammation based on what I've said in this thread, and nutrient status therefore of zinc, mag and vitamin b2 are ok, when you were taking some pyridoxine it would be able to still at least convert at typical doses. Its great your enthusiasm, I wish I knew all that you are learning now when I was 22,

BH4 by the way is also related more to zinc. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/i-need-help-saving-my-life-no-onoo.90941/post-2445708

Last edited:

Wishful

I wonder how many doctors are aware of cofactor issues. If a patient has a bad reaction to a supplement, I think in many cases the doctor will write that patient off as having psychological issues, because the doctor knows that "Nutrient x is good for you!". The expected responses to supplements are based on healthy people. People go to the doctor when they are unhealthy, meaning possible abnormal biochemistry.

Yes. Vitamin D is converted to its active form and utilized when you also take magnesium, and helps keep your levels optimal around 30 ng/ml (for most people but there are exceptions Im finding such as potentially people with Blood Type As). Research is showing that Magnesium does not continue to raise Vitamin D levels over 30ng/ml but brings them back down when higher back to around that level. Magnesium was found to have a regulating effect, raising and lowering vitamin D levels based on the original starting baseline 25(OH)D levels. In those people who had a baseline 25-D level of 30 ng/ml or below, magnesium supplementation raised up their 25-D level as expected. However, In those who started out with higher 25-D baseline levels starting around 30 ng/ml (75 nmol/L) up to 50 ng/ml (125 nmol/L), magnesium supplementation LOWERED THEIR 25-D levels back down, not raised 25-D levels to even higher levels that some suggest is an optimal level (it appears its not according to many new research findings that needs to be reconsidered). Magnesium regulates vitamin D levels, low magnesium impedes your body's ability to utilize vitamin D, even when it's present or taken by supplementation. Magnesium deficiency shuts down the vitamin D synthesis and metabolism pathways. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916522030581 This is just one piece I have shared before.

Its also not generally known that under inflammation the cofactors for ceruloplasmin are depleted. Zinc is also involved in Vitamin A metabolism (and vice versa) and which is required for ceruloplasmin production needed to make both copper and iron bioavailable (usable). The problem is again more that the zinc and Vitamin A become unavailable/deficient during inflammation/infection and so for most cases causing a deficiency of usable copper despite plenty of intake. It has been explained that it is kind of like being in the middle of the ocean surrounded by water, yet still starved of usable water to drink. Zinc deficiency further increases copper, again it all makes sense looking at it via a shift to a inflammation state. Its possible to check serum copper and serum ceruloplasmin (the usable copper) and can calculate free copper levels unbound to ceruloplasmin but this is a spot check at the time of the test only and does not reflect any long term accumulation in the tissues over time. This is more key for alzheimers I found that I mentioned briefly some of that before on the forums here as well, although high copper and a deficiency may play important roles for some people with mitochondial function. We see in this thread that a high unbound copper and low zinc and butyrate can be one reason which leads to ER stress, higher WASF3 levels and disruption of mitochondrial function https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.90582/post-2441994

You will need to read that study. They found it is both a toxic form of B6 (so unfortunately went beyond just the inhibition issue) and that both pyridoxal-5-phosphate dependent enzymes were inhibited by pyridoxine. Now if you are not in a high state of inflammation based on what I've said in this thread, and nutrient status therefore of zinc, mag and vitamin b2 are ok, when you were taking some pyridoxine it would be able to still at least convert at typical doses. Its great your enthusiasm, I wish I knew all that you are learning now when I was 22,

BH4 by the way is also related more to zinc. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/i-need-help-saving-my-life-no-onoo.90941/post-2445708
It wouldn’t make sense for pyridoxine to address a deficiency whilst simultaneously inhibiting pyridoxial dependant enzymes, as B6 deficiency is partially inactivity of said enzymes.

From the study:

“The aim of this study was to determine if daily supplementation with 50 mg of pyridoxine for 30 days can correct the static and/or the functional abnormalities of vitamin B6 status”

Pyridoxine supplementation significantly improved plasma and erythrocyte pyridoxal 5'-phosphate concentrations, erythrocyte alphaEAST, urinary 4-PA, and XA excretion. These improvements were apparent regardless of baseline B6 levels

How can something inhibit enzymes activated by something that itself increases? I know it’s more complicated and there’s probably feedback loop related mechanisms among other things, but generally the inhibition of pyridoxial based enzymes by pyridoxine is overstated imo, pyridoxial-5-phosphate being supplemented directly anyway is converted back to free B6 (either pyridoxine/pyridoxial iirc) by the gut which might be why some people even get toxicity from P5P. But in such instance this would mean literal B6 from food inhibits pyridoxial-5-phosphate based enzymes, something I doubt.

I actually didn’t know magnesium could even lower vitamin D back down, it makes sense in that case that it’s a regulator. I was reading on how calcium increases vitamin D half life. Magnesium probably is opposing that.

I appreciate your kind comments.