• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Try Intermittent Fasting?

crypt0cu1t

IG: @crypt0cu1t
I've just recently introduced a loose low carb diet and intermittent fasting as part of my overall plan to try and beat my autoimmune disease (Along with Plasmapheresis & possibly rituxan)

Does anyone have any articles or research about the benefits of intermittent fasting? I've heard so many great things about it!

So far I've noticed that I no longer get the weird "low blood sugar" shaky feeling I used to get when I would go without eating for an hour and have almost no more muscle aches or temperature fluctuations, but it's done almost nothing for my most severe Neurological and dysautonomia symptoms.

Should I give it some more time for full benefits?

Heartl

I've just recently introduced a loose low carb diet and intermittent fasting as part of my overall plan to try and beat my autoimmune disease (Along with Plasmapheresis & possibly rituxan)

Does anyone have any articles or research about the benefits of intermittent fasting? I've heard so many great things about it!

So far I've noticed that I no longer get the weird "low blood sugar" shaky feeling I used to get when I would go without eating for an hour and have almost no more muscle aches or temperature fluctuations, but it's done almost nothing for my most severe Neurological and dysautonomia symptoms.

Should I give it some more time for full benefits?
Dr. Berg on you tube explains this thoroughly. You may want to check him out,
I did this in the past and it helped my gut. I need to go back on this. It does take some discipline the first week but after that you really go into ketosis and helps with brain fog. Good luck😊

Float

I usually do an 8 hour eating window on most days, and stop at least 2 hours before bed to prevent sleep disturbance.
It takes me one or two weeks to get fully adapted to it.
It helps avoid post prandial hypotension and tachycardia and therefore fatigue.
Its better for me to keep going every day but some days I don't.
I'm not aiming for ketosis.
If you have more than 8 hour eating window eg 9 10 12 etc , you don't get the autophagy benefits.
You could goggle IF and Mercola or Bulletproof or Dave Asprey and that will give you heaps of information if you haven't already covered those.
I'm not sure if it helps dysautonomia. Ithe helps me manage the symptoms. ☺

Hufsamor

How do I quote from another thread?

My neurological symptoms actually got worse,
it might be very important to detox as you go.
But otherwise...
On a Norwegian me forum, one person left the community ,
she did so well on intermittent fasting, she could go back to a more or less normal life.

Last edited:

Hufsamor

I just remember one more thing...

I would strongly advise you to take something to help your liver detox,
either during the fast or after.
its very, very important ,as a lot of us me sufferers are really bad detoxers.
And your body will detox during the fast, but if it isn't able to get rid of the "rubbish",
you might end up sicker than you used to be.
https://no.iherb.com/pr/New-Nordic-...RRn7EARF9ZNWKH6rTwAaAp0IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here it is...
I've got this one recommended from two different therapists, both very clever and both very into food -as -medicine kind of thing.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@Hufsamor, here is the>> link <<to the instructions for quoting someone else in your post. I prefer the bottom instructions where it explains how to partially quote someone though because I often just want to respond to a part of what someone is saying.

Also all the pics on that page are broken links for me. Hope you can see them though.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Hufsamor
To quote something from another post:

It's a little confusing at first, but really simple once you get the hang, which happens fairly quickly:

1. Highlight the segment you want to quote
  2. A window will pop up just below your highlight, with a choice of 'Quote' or 'Reply'
  3. If you're just responding to one thing, hit 'Reply' and you'll immediately be shifted down to the 'Reply' window, where you can type your response, and hit 'Save' when you're done, message will appear in thread.
  4. If you want to respond to more than one thing in a post, or even several things from different posts, highlight the first thing, then hit the 'Quote' button. Your highlighted quote will be stored, so you won't be shifted back to 'Reply' window yet.
  5. When you've highlighted and 'Quote'd everything you want to, go down to 'Reply' window
  6. You'll see a prompt there to 'Post Quotes'
  7. Hit that, and a large window will appear with all your highlighted segments listed, and giving you the option to delete any quotes that you no longer want to use before you post them in the 'Reply' window.
Hit 'Post Quotes' and they'll all appear in the 'Reply' window, where you can respond to each of them before posting your full response.

Whew. That really wore me out. Not the typing thing, the thinking-it-thru thing.

Hope this helps, Hufs.

YippeeKi YOW !!

This is my first week of eating only from 12 noon to 8pm

I have black coffee for breakfast (no sugar)
@Mel9
I inadvertently sort of backed into IF ...... initially, breakfast was just too hard to pull together after a night of fractured, intermittent dozing, and I was too weak to maneuver down the stairs, even clinging to the bannister. Unfortunately, I couldnt drink coffee anymore at that time, so I had a concoction of my own devising once I could safely manage the stairs with a fair certainty that I wouldn't plunge dramatically to my crippling or death: very warm water with some potassium and a few drops of stevia and later, some cinnamon and a little stevia with the potassium. And that was it for the next 7-10 hours, depending on my energy level at the time. Drank a LOOOTTTTTT of water, which helped. Luckily I wasn;t particularly hungry.

Now, I start the day about the same way, but so far, after careful trialing, I;ve been able to add back coffee, 2 parts ground decaf, 1 part real coffee which I worked my way up to from 1/2 teaspoon. It's been heaven.

Currently, I'm on about a 10 - 14 hour fast, depending on my energy and hunger levels, to about 8 hrs of carefully spaced meals.

I have to say, I never thought about it, but that may have contributed to the very slow, very gradual small improvements I've enjoyed over last 8 months or so, flares and backslides not withstanding.

rel8ted

I have been doing this for about 6 months now in conjunction with keto. I do feel like I have a much, much, much more efficient digestive process now. I have had issues all my life until a couple of months ago. I also don;t have any more bouts of suddenly becoming hangry. I never used to get a cue that it was time to eat until I was positively ravenous and almost shaking and weak (yes, likely blood sugar issues). Now, I realize that it is time to eat in a normal way. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have control over that part of my life.

We started IF for the boost in weight loss benefit bc neither of us can exercise & have been very pleased with the results. I have managed to lose 80 pounds over the last 41 weeks without the first bit of exercise and you all understand why. Generally, we fast 16-18 hours a day, but sometimes it is longer. This has become such a normal part of life for us that w just go along and eat only when hunger ensues naturally. Occasionally there might be a day where I am much more hungry than usual and I might eat small snacks all through the day, but that has only happened a couple of times. I just start over again and continue like to was just a small bump in the road.

I am not at all saying that it is a cure all for ME/CFS or anything else bc all of that is still present. It certainly has forced me to make better food decisions as well. Also taught me there are healthier options that don;t require burning all of my energy cooking. For sure I have a much improved self image.

Float

@rel8ted good point on digestion. I haven't had the same constipation issues. Probably more time for the body to deal with it. Not overwhelmed by having to produce truck loads of digestive enzymes etc throughout the day. Eating requires energy to process so we don't create so many demands on if!

BeADocToGoTo1

Fasts can be tricky, especially if you are deficient in a particular nutrient (e.g. vitamin, mineral, amino acid, fatty acid). Intermittent fasting can be helpful, but anything extreme can backfire, especially when there are other health issues.

I now eat my food in a ~10 hour window (sometimes smaller) during the day, which will give my digestive system and pancreas a break, and helps get my body to produce more ketones naturally. But nothing extreme and I eased into it over time.

I have a KetoMojo blood tester that I used to see the effect of intermittent fasting and various dietary changes.

Less insulin usage over time helps longevity and many other health elements. Being more of a fatburner rather than a sugar burner also helps in many ways.

There are a variety of different types of IF. Here is a nice article on it:

https://chriskresser.com/intermittent-fasting-the-science-behind-the-trend/

Last edited:

Mel9

Nice! If you do want a few calories that will not kick you out of ketosis, you could add some grass fed heavy cream or butter if your tastebuds allow it. That gets me through on the days when I skip breakfast altogether.

Sounds nice but I am supposed to be going dairy free. I’ve very quickly adjusted to going without breakfast: don’t feel any hunger until around 11.30am

Haley

I've fallen into IF accidentally too - not hungry when I wake up (but definitely want a cup of tea, but probably because it's winter here and I'm always cold!), and generally too tired when I get home form work to eat anything. I really only have a meal late morning, and then a snack in the afternoon.

I don't know if its helping energy wise or not, but I have been on a bit of a downward slope for the last 6 months or so, so that clouds everything!

YippeeKi YOW !!

I don't know if its helping energy wise or not, but I have been on a bit of a downward slope for the last 6 months or so, so that clouds everything!
I know what you mean. I've been n a downswing, too, and while I'm not sure if IF helps my energy under those circumstances, I'm pretty sure that it helps to keep them milder than the bad old days, and possibly shorter.

I hope you doing a little better, bit by bit, and that we'll both be on stable ground soon !!! :) :thumbsup: :hug::hug: