• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yew tree taxus bacata good for cancer- is it good for CFS?

gumman123

http://sci-hub.tw/http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tcr.1008

Taxol® (1, paclitaxel), a poly-oxygenated naturally occurring diterpenoid isolated from the bark of the Pacific yew tree (Taxus brevifolia), is currently considered one of the most important drugs in cancer chemotherapy.1–4 Since its initial isolation in 1966 and subsequent structural determination in 1971, a tremendous amount of research focusing on the science and applications of paclitaxel has been performed.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060014968A1/en?q=paclitaxel&q=yew&oq=paclitaxel+yew

Paclitaxel is an anticancer compound primarily derived from the bark of the Taxus brevifolia (Pacific yew) tree. In the 1960's, the National Cancer Institute began a study of plant extracts exhibiting anti-cancer or anti-neoplastic activities. The crude extract of bark from the Taxus brevifolia was found to inhibit a variety of tumors. In 1971, paclitaxel was isolated and described by M. C. Wani et al. (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 93, 2325, (1971)), who defined the structure of paclitaxel using chemical methods and X-ray crystallographic analysis. In 1979, Schiff and coworkers demonstrated paclitaxel's novel mechanism of action. This mechanism includes binding to microtubules and preventing their depolymerization under conditions where depolymerization would normally occur. Paclitaxel is currently used in the treatment of ovarian, breast and non-small cell lung cancers.

They sell yew seeds on ebay. I will be buying some, and plant them then eat the berries/bark/the whole tree once it grows. Plants are good for a lot of diseases not just cancer.

Wishful

There are lots of herbs that are good for specific illnesses, but that doesn't mean that they should provide any benefit for other specific illnesses. Someone suggested that I try chaga (because it's fashionable?). As I understand it, it was supposed to be effective against a specific type of cancer. I just now checked google for chaga benefits, and reached page 6 without finding any scientific papers about benefits; just marketing nonsense.

Maybe yew bark will help your ME symptoms. We all have different responses, and there's no known reason why it can't help someone with ME. There's no reason to expect that it will work either. Experiment!

gumman123

I just bought some chaga to try. The mushrooms that grow from trees rather than the ground are the most medicinal says David Wolfe, chaga being one, and lions mande, shiitake, maitake being others. There is heaps of studies on chaga, and all other mushrooms, and all other foods just google the name of the food ncbi to find them quick.