• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xylitol, Lactulose, and Apo-lactoferrin

I went on Lactulose last Monday and got good effects from it. I think it was feeding good bacteria and I was actually starting to improve.

Then I received my Xylitol and when I took 1/2 tsp in water, it caused immediate die off, and it still is. I'm taking 1 tsp + daily, plus using it to coat my teeth. I think I'll quit the lactulose until the Xylitol has had time to take effect.

I may go on apo lactoferrin in a few days. I hate to try too many new things at once but I'm looking forward to getting better.

It's amazing that oil of oregano, GSE, garlic, SF722, Biofase, Serrapeptase, all didn't do a thing to me but 1/2 tsp of Xylitol caused immediate die off. I think I must be on to something good now. I guess it attacks biofilm.
It attracts mold and yeast, they say, then the mold & yeast consume it but can't ferment it, so it dies.

perchance dreamer

I buy Xylitol granules to sweeten coffee and tea. I like this brand since it's not derived from corn, but their Xylitol is in granules, not powder:

http://www.globalsweet.com/p/GRX1.html

AZ and iHerb both have Xylitol powder. I've never heard herxing from it.

I also use Xylitol toothpaste, the Squigle Tooth Builder brand. It helps sensitive teeth and doesn't contain fluoride.

taniaaust1

It attracts mold and yeast, they say, then the mold & yeast consume it but can't ferment it, so it dies.

I never knew it did that. I have xylitol cause I cant have sugar. I thou havent noticed any improvement from the xylitol as such. (there isnt much at all which gives me improvement).

I get the 2 Litre tubs of xylitol direct from the distributer who used to live locally to me (he then supplies it to the shops, so I get it for the same price as the shops pay for it .. half price or a bit less then that). I get the granule form which looks like sugar and use it in the same way as I would sugar.

The one I get they say is derived from non-allergic corn cob core (rather then birch, some can be allergic birch).

I suggest to those who have this to get it in 2L tub rather then then the small containers as its far far cheaper when brought in a bigger amount. eg $60 for 2 litres if buying it in a shop.

Last edited:

Garz

xylitol has been used in medical settings for breaking up biofilm in chronic wound infections in USA hospitals and others around the world for some time now - a decade or so.
these chronic would infections like - infected surgical wounds, infected burns, diabetic wound infections etc are notoriously hard to treat - due to the presence of biofilm - and the increased resistance to all standard antibiotic therapies that bacteria in these biofilms tend to have.

xylitol is used topically in these cases to help break down the biofilm colonies, typically alongside lactoferrin. the xylitol is thought to weaken the structure of biofilms.

however there are also studies using xylitol gum taken orally in children with recurrent Otis media ( middle ear infections) another biofilm forming infection - that's showed efficacy also - indicating systemic effect of oral supplementation.

based on this several Lyme literate MD's are using both xylitol and lactoferrin in oral form in the lyme disease patient cohorts - alongside antibiotic combinations - with some notable success.

doses are typically 2 teaspoons 2x a day - but patients often have to work up to this dose - as in persons with these tick born infections ( all of which tend to be biofilm formers ) the reactions tend to be very strong - increased pain, increased fatigue, sleeplessness, whereas in the non-infected population these amounts would not be expected to have any adverse effects beyond perhaps loose stools in sensitive individuals.

anyone having this kind of reaction to what is otherwise a very safe non-toxic and well tolerated food supplement would do well to consider an infectious disease to be the underlying cause of their symptoms - and a Vector born disease such as Lyme, bartonella, Babesia, Brucella etc would be well worth investigating.

in terms of exposure risk- there is a huge amount of misinformation and outdated science in circulation about vector borne diseases. the truth is - Everyone is at risk.
If you partake/partook in outdoor activities or have contact with pets or other animal that go outdoors, your risk is higher - but you can just as easily get these diseases in your back garden or at the beach.
infected ticks have been found on many small rodents and mammals as well as common ground feeding birds and migrating birds, seagulls, song birds etc (not just wild deer for instance)