• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

would love to hear how oxytocin nasal spray is working for others

humanrising

I just got my doctor to prescribe oxytocin nasal spray, was first inspired by dr jay Goldstein and then more research on pain and oxytocin.

hoping you wouldn't mind telling me how its been working for you and what it has helped you with.
my two major life altering symptoms is severe insomnia and pain... I have localized pain mostly in neck and back and then fibro as well.

I read from one member that it helped with sleep wondering if it helped with actual sleep ( making one sleepy) or if its because it due to pain reduction.

I love to know we are all different but we also have many similarities so love to know how its worked for others. thanks :)

humanrising

Oxytocin seems to work only for a very small subset of patients, but it's probably worth trying in case you are in that subset. It did not help me, neither in nasal spray or injection form.

I am keeping my fingers crossed... shame it didn't help. From Dr Goldstein's book he seemed to have more then a few that it helped. If it does work I am going to have to find another outlet then having it compounded its a bit pricy for me.

wondering if you had any affects from it either being sedating or stimulating?

Hip

wondering if you had any affects from it either being sedating or stimulating?

I did not notice any sedating or stimulating effects.

I was hoping that even if oxytocin did not improve my ME/CFS in general, that it might at least be a good treatment for my ME/CFS symptom of blunted emotions. I was taking 10 IU to 30 IU daily as a subcutaneous injection, and other times 30 IU as an intranasal spray.

It did help boost emotions a bit, but I found for some reason it boosted anger more than other emotions, so I would find myself becoming righteously angry or indignant after reading newspaper or media stories involving for example human injustices or wrong-doings. That's not the sort of emotional response I was hoping for from the so-called love drug!

Last edited:

humanrising

I did not notice any sedating or stimulating effects.

I was hoping that even if oxytocin did not improve may ME/CFS in general, that it might at least be a good treatment for my ME/CFS symptom of blunted emotions. I was taking 10 IU to 30 IU daily as a subcutaneous injection, and other times 30 IU as an intranasal spray.

It did help boost emotions a bit, but I found for some reason it boosted anger more than other emotions, so I would find myself becoming righteously angry or indignant after reading newspaper or media stories involving for example human injustices or wrong-doings. That's not the sort of emotional response I was hoping for from the so-called love drug!

ohhhhhhnoooooo!!!!!!!!!

I already have the media righteous symptom!!!!!:devil:

Hip

No effect for me (nasal).

Did you buy from a reputable source? One oxytocin nasal spray supplier I saw some years ago did not even state the amount of oxytocin in each spray. When I emailed them to ask how many IU were in each spray, they gave me some nonsense answer about not wanting to reveal this information. I suspect there was likely very little in their spray.

A good place to buy oxytocin is from body-building websites that sell injectable peptides, such as maximpeptide.com. These websites provide sterile oxytocin dried powder which you can reconstitute and use for injection, but you can also mix it with some distilled water and make your own nasal spray.

YippeeKi YOW !!

1 mg of oxytocin corresponds to 500 IU. Ref: here.
@Hip
You read my mind. That was going to be my next question.

Madison James is really cheap ..... do you know how reliably pure their product is?

EDIT ....... Because I forget to say things before I post the reply .... and the hyperlink you posted answered my next next question ..... thanking you profoundly and sincerely !!!

Hip

Madison James is really cheap ..... do you know how reliably pure their product is?

www.eroids.com is a good review site for all these body-building websites selling peptides and hormones. For Madison James, here are some reviews, and here is some discussion.

Here is Eroids's list of peptide and hormone suppliers.

Note that products on these body-building websites are sold on the understanding they are not for human consumption. That is how they can legally sell them. Now if you buy a product, and decide to consume it, that's entirely your own business.

That was going to be my next question.

If you are thinking of making up a nasal spray: you can buy a 30 ml plastic nasal spray bottles (like these), and place your 2 mg (1,000 IU) of oxytocin powder in 30 ml of distilled water in that bottle. Then if you do your calculation, you will get 33.3 IU per ml of water.

Now those nasal spray bottles usually supply 0.1 ml per spray. So that means each spray will give you 3.3 IU of oxytocin.

If making your own nasal spray, you will find it less irritating in the nose if the water has the same salinity as the blood (blood salinity is 9 grams of salt per liter). So for 30 ml of water, you'd want to add 270 mg of salt to the water. This is not essential, it just makes the spray more comfortable in the nose.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Hip
Thank you, thank you, thank you :):). I didn't want to plague you with questions, but you've managed to not only answer all of them, but provide seveal useful, informative links.

And thank you for tip re salt to reduce nasal irritation.

You're a total gem, and I'm very grateful to you !!! :)
:thumbsup: :hug: :hug:

humanrising

I ve been using my spray for about 5 days or so. Has not helped my pain. Hasn't made a difference in sleep either.
but …. I do think its helped my brain from going around and around on how "screwed" I am.

I am in a super stressful situation. my landlords girlfriend wants me out of my granny unit attached to their house. she wants to turn it into an Airbnb. She stomps on my roof and slams doors 3-4 times a night between midnight and 5 am. I can never sleep so I am going nuts and I am frequently left with the constant " what am I going to do" "I have no where to move to" " I will be homeless" thoughts racing around my head. These thoughts are true but doesn't help to keep thinking about it. I think the running thoughts thing is something a lot of us have. But since I started the oxytocin no more running diatribe.

The down side is I think it might be making my headaches worse so will have to stop and try again and see if the mind spin changes without it or if the headaches come back.

if you can get a doc to prescribe it I would probably get it compounded by a pharmacy so you know that you have the right dose and its "clean" to find out if it works for you or not then you would know if its the medicine or who you bought if from online. then if it works you have a reference of how it made you feel to compare to. just my thoughts.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I am in a super stressful situation. my landlords girlfriend wants me out of my granny unit attached to their house. she wants to turn it into an Airbnb. She stomps on my roof and slams doors 3-4 times a night between midnight and 5 am. I can never sleep so I am going nuts and I am frequently left with the constant " what am I going to do" "I have no where to move to" " I will be homeless" thoughts
@humanrising
Oh God, that's awful. And really disgusting..... the more I get to know people, the more I like dogs.

I'm sure these are stupid questions, but I wont be able to sleep if I don't ask them, sort of by way of suggestions for possible ways to go:
  • Does your landlord know what she's doing? I'm guessing that sadly, he probably does but thought I'd ask anyway. Just in case. Men can be such idiots when they're 'in love'.
  • Do you have a lease or rental contract with him re: the granny house you're renting. I don't know where you live, but here in the US there's laws that govern landlord/tenant rights, and they mostly come down on the side of the tenant. Of course, having the law on your side is no good if you're wrecked from lack of sleep and are getting sicker and sicker as a result of her little escapades, or are too weak from this disease to assert your rights.
  • Can you possibly audio or video tape some of her lat nite/early AM excurions across what is, as long as you're renting it, your roof?
  • Do you know anyone who is, or has access to, a lawyer/law firm/good paralegal who might work with you on this? Under almost all law, you have the right to the "...peaceful enjoyment of ...." your home, which right now happens to be this granny house, no matter who owns it or what it's attached to.
  • Do you have a doctor who can write a paragraph on what this kind of reckless endangerment and disregard is doing to your health, your peace of mind, any hope you have for getting better?
  • Can you talk to your landlord about this, after consulting with anyone with genuine legal expertise (paralegals can be as good as the lawyers they work for, especially on the finer points of the law) and getting some input and "terms of art"
  • Is there any kind of community-based help or out reach org or program for people with disabilities in your area you could take this to? They tend to really frown on this kind of crap, and often have the expertise and attys who can back that disapproval up with something more substantial.

I'm just spit-balling here, and I know that all of this is easier said than done, but I often find that once I can focus on anything that offers me any hope of help or a way to change the circumstances that are gnawing away at my life, peace, and hope, my mind stops going in destructive circles and finds a way to help me out a bit.

But I know that with your current stress levels, lack of sleep and the general attrition of ME, focus is hard.

I wish I could do something more substantial. I think your landlord, and the girlfriend he lets get away with this shite, are grade A @sswads and deserve anything they get.

I'm so sorry you're going thru this, @humanrising, and I'm hoping and praying for a happy ending for you in all this, and the most dismal one possible for those soulless bastards.