• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Working from home part-time - Etsy?

Hello everyone,

I have had M.E. for 25 years since I was a child, plus a lot of other chronic conditions, and work wise all I have managed is one part time admin job in an office for two years until it caused a relapse when I had to resign.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any success working part time online in some way, and if so what you have done. Even working from home I would only manage part time hours, say 4 hours a day absolute maximum. I cannot sit upright for long periods, I get a lot of pain, I can concentrate for fairly long periods however.

I was thinking of trying Etsy, I sew and paint, so I could perhaps make small items to sell - has anyone had any success with that kind of project?

I have tried doing surveys online for money but they are mostly a great deal of time and sometimes a fair bit of effort/concentration for very little money.

I do have a degree but I am not sure how useful that is to me. I had looked at training to be a proof reader but it seems the hours would be too long. Plus I don't think I would be reliable enough - I had the flu earlier this year and if I had been working would have needed at least 10 weeks off, even working part time from home - viruses often cause a temporary relapse.

Thanks for reading this.