• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What should I ask my doctor?

So, after discovering that I'm homozygous MTHFR (C677T), and with a family history of heart disease, I approached my local doctor. Surprisingly she was aware of MTHFR and actually took me seriously, although she admitted she didn't know much about it. She is sending me to hematologist, and also testing my homocysteine (plus a bunch of other stuff). I showed her the list of tests that Ben Lynch recommends, but she said it's too soon to look at those, and again confessed to having never heard of them. I appreciated her honesty and modesty compared to other doctors I've seen in the past, but I'd still like to have an informed practitioner at my side. I think she's basically hoping the hematologist will be more familiar with treating MTHFR than she is.

I'd like to be as prepared as possible dealing with the hematologist, as I've learned in the past that the more educated I the patient am, the more I can steer things the way I want them to go. To be honest, I don't even know what a hematologist actually is though, so there's that. :)

So, do people here have any suggestions what to ask, what to bring, what to suggest etc?

thanks
Brian

Valentijn

@Crossroads - Testing for homocysteine is a great way to see if you're running into any problems. But as long as you take a normal dose of folate (400-800mcg in most multivitamins) and/or eat a good amount of veggies on a regular basis, even homozygous MTHFR C677T shouldn't cause problems.