• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What should be ruled out before diagnosing patient with M.E.?

I was diagnosed with M.E. after limited testing and just a month of sickness 13 years ago. The way things have panned out, it is likely that diagnosis is accurate. However, I worry that by telling doctors I was diagnosed with ME, they might ignore other possibilities and only be able to see ME in my list of symptoms.

So, what basic testing would you expect to/did receive before being diagnosed with ME? You can also include your fantasy list of tests/diseases to be excluded but please make it obvious that they are a fantasy. I am hoping to pull together some specific requests for my family doctor that she will have a hard time saying no to.

If there is a thread that already answers this, I will be happy to go there. I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
The things my doctors made worked to rule out before my diagnosis (that I know of) were lyme disease, mono, lupus, anemia, atypical migraines, HIV, various infections, and celiac disease.

Last edited:

MTpockets

I was tested for heavy metals, vitamin deficiencies, lyme disease and coinfections, MS, and a few other things I don't remember.

Shoshana

Northern USA
As many of the different thyroid tests as you can get your doctor to order.
They are probably included in Hip's Roadmap.