• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Doctors on the Front Lines Wish They’d Known a Month Ago: proning

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
Is there a better thread that this should also be posted on?

These are two new articles.

"What Doctors on the Front Lines Wish They’d Known a Month Ago"

"At Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, Dr. Nicholas Caputo followed 50 patients who arrived with low oxygen levels between 69 and 85 percent (95 is normal). After five minutes of proning, they had improved to a mean of 94 percent. Over the next 24 hours, nearly three-quarters were able to avoid intubation; 13 needed ventilators. Proning does not seem to work as well in older patients, a number of doctors said.

No one knows yet if this will be a lasting remedy, Dr. Caputo said, but if he could go back to early March, he would advise himself and others: “Don’t jump to intubation.” "

“Intubated patients with Covid lung disease are doing very poorly, and while this may be the disease and not the mechanical ventilation, most of us believe that intubation is to be avoided until unequivocally required,” Dr. Strayer said."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...known-a-month-ago/ar-BB12B6Nw?ocid=spartanntp

"Doctors are finding that placing the sickest coronavirus patients on their stomachs -- called prone positioning - helps increase the amount of oxygen that's getting to their lungs.

"We're saving lives with this, one hundred percent," said Narasimhan, the regional director for critical care at Northwell Health, which owns 23 hospitals in New York. "It's such a simple thing to do, and we've seen remarkable improvement. We can see it for every single patient." "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...hs-can-save-lives/ar-BB12Bwc2?ocid=spartanntp

Mary

Moderator Resource
This seems to be the best kept secret for treatment of the severe lung issues faced by COVID-19 patients! Why isn't this getting more traction in the media? This treatment has been known for several years. It's not for everyone but it sounds like could it benefit a huge number of COVID-19 patients and prevent the necessity for ventilation.

Here are a couple of more articles:
https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/proning-treatment-coronavirus

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9295829/

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Why isn't this getting more traction in the media? This treatment has been known for several years.
I've been reading about it for several weeks but it hasn't been as prominent as other approaches. I think most hospitals are now using this approach.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've been reading about it for several weeks but it hasn't been as prominent as other approaches. I think most hospitals are now using this approach.
I wonder why not as prominent? It seems so potentially life-saving with almost no risk (or cost) with the proper patient - I hope most hospitals (actually it should be all!) are now using this approach --

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I wonder why not as prominent?
Perhaps because of the challenges is positioning patients on their stomachs--they have to have the ability to breathe freely which, I'd think, would mean that they would need something like the set-up on a massage table, where your head is supported but your face is in a donut hole.

One hospital reported that the staff was so overworked that arranging for this positioning was more than they could handle.

Last edited:
Back