• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weighted Blankets: Yay or Nay?

Hi all,
I'm considering investing in a weighted blanket but trying to do plenty of research first since they're expensive!

Those who have one, what has your experience been with it?
I'm particularly interested in hearing how it helps leg pain and weakness since that's a big problem for me.
Also, premade or custom made?

Anything you have to say about them is very appreciated!
Thanks!

Shoshana

Northern USA
Hi, @Macatas
I wonder if someone could post a link in this thread, for you,
to whichever one we had discussed so much about these, in the past, or maybe to some of those posts or pages, if it was in another topic?

Meanwhile, for myself, I could not lift and move them, by myself,
so I have a few smaller equivalent pads, that i am able, MUCH more easily, to move and place, and they do help me. Some nights they help more than other nights. I do not know why.

I do use one for my legs, and while it does not give me total relief, but it is definitely worth the partial help, to me.

I use separate ones for other body areas.

Hi @Shoshana
Thanks for the reply! I did search previous threads before, but only found a couple of posts here and there in various threads. Seems like a lot of them were from people who were still getting a feel for them and hadn't made their minds up yet!

I'm interested in looking into the smaller pads, what are they called?

I'd probably keep the blanket on my bed full time, and my parents are around to help me move it if I ever needed to.

What specific symptoms do they actually relieve? Even after reading the other threads I'm not totally clear on that part.

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm trying to be thorough in making sure it's right for me.

Shoshana

Northern USA
It's totally fine to have this thread topic, and to ask lots of questions, @Macatas ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had first thought there had been one single thread, which might have lots of great info for you,
but this is fine, and you are right, perhaps people have more input, now, too.

I am too worn out at this moment, to add more, but i hope others will, and i will try to, at a later time.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I use one. I feel a little more relaxed when lying under it. I'm glad I have it because I need weight on me to feel comfortable when I sleep.

I'm particularly interested in hearing how it helps leg pain and weakness since that's a big problem for me.
That depends on the reason for the pain and weakness. Some pain, especially cramping is caused by lack of magnesium or potassium.

Mr. Cat posted in this thread:
I just wanted to let you know I bought and tried a weighted blanket. They are supposed to be good for insomnia and reducing anxiety, as the pressure is supposed to increase serotonin. I didn't previously have problems with insomnia, but it does seem to put me in a deeper state of relaxation. Mornings used to be the worst for me in terms of body pain and brain fogginess, and I've got to say, muscle pain has greatly decreased upon waking after sleeping under the blanket, and I have also been experiencing better mood and clarity in the mornings. Of course, as we all know, different strokes for different ME/CFS folks, so your results may vary.

And here is a quote from an Amazon.com review for a weighted blanket:
I suffer from neuropathy due to an autoimmune disease. My Rheumatologist reccomended I try a weighted blanket to help aid in my sleep. I find this blanket has increased my quality of sleep and lessened my nightly pain.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I think many people are using the "weighted blanket effect" without thinking about it. I just don't feel comfortable unless I have something over me. In the summer it's a light cover quilt. In the winter it's a heavy comforter.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
The blanket should weigh 10% of your body weight plus or minus a couple of pounds. The plus/minus is because most blankets are mass produced within a certain range of weights so you won't find an exact 10% unless you get one custom made.

Here is a weighted blanket weight chart.

jesse's mom

I have invested in a weighted blanket. I have had it about a year I am guessing. I have restless leg syndrome, and it is not a problem anymore. I love it so much I take it on vacation with me!

Mine weighs 14 lbs. I bought mine custom made by a seller in the Etsy store https://www.etsy.com/shop/JusticeGifts

This seller is really good about emailing back and forth and making exactly what you want. I have a twin sized blanket that I can move around myself, once in a while. I highly recommend the glass beads. I live in a hot climate and the glass does not heat up and capture body heat the way that the artificial beads do. The upgrade was only about $15 for the glass. These can be machine washed, but I don't want to risk my washer on something so heavy! I hand wash the spots. I am going to buy a duvet cover soon so I don't have to worry about it getting dirty. I wish I had done that from the beginning!

I cannot sleep with the weighted blanket on my chest. I use it doubled and tripled on my hips and legs.

Weighted blanket? Resounding YES from me!

Do go by the weight chart that @PatJ linked, or the Etsy seller that I linked has one aslo.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I cannot sleep with the weighted blanket on my chest. I use it doubled and tripled on my hips and legs.

Weighted blanket? Resounding YES from me!

Do go by the weight chart that @PatJ linked, or the Etsy seller that I linked has one aslo.
I recently bought one using the weight chart and reviews online. Reviewers reported that they were “snuggly” and calming. I didn’t find that but I did find that it helps a lot with sleep—which is why I got it. I also don’t like it on my chest so place across the bed covering me up to the waist. I think they take a bit of time to get used to but I’ve been happy with how much they help with sleep.

humanrising

They had these on HSN for pretty cheap compared to most and they have a very easy return policy.

I was interested in trying one until I found out that they were "stuffed" with tiny plastic beads.
I don't want to support anything that has "tiny plastic anything" if I can avoid it. If I was able to afford one with glass beads I would give it a try..... wonder if the glass beads making noise when you move..... that would not work for this insomniac :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
They had these on HSN for pretty cheap compared to most and they have a very easy return policy.

I was interested in trying one until I found out that they were "stuffed" with tiny plastic beads.
I don't want to support anything that has "tiny plastic anything" if I can avoid it. If I was able to afford one with glass beads I would give it a try..... wonder if the glass beads making noise when you move..... that would not work for this insomniac :)
The cheaper ones also have large “pockets” for the beads so they are not distributed evenly. I got one with small pockets and glass beads—it was on sale and you may find others on sale at this time of year. Getting a removable cover is good too—do you can wash it.

I'm coming back to it after all this time and I still haven't got one! I hadn't logged in for a while, so it's nice to come back to it and see that more discussion had happened since I last looked! Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I'm finally figuring it out. Still worried about spending so much but I think I can manage if I spread the cost over the next few months. Now I've just got to figure out which material to have it made from!

Somehow I missed the location of that Etsy seller - they don't ship to the UK so I'll have to find one here!

Last edited: