• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very salty taste in mouth for months now!

Tired of being sick

For about 4 months now I have been experiencing a Very salty taste in my mouth/saliva!

What new meds and dietary intake changes I have done in this time period..

Drinking 60 to 80oz of Gatorade per day and on midodrine 3,5 to 7 mgs up to 4x a day
to treat my POTS..

Could one of or both of these be causing it?

Or do I have another diagnosis to add to my 50 mile list such as sjogren's syndrome?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've had that for years and have yet to figure it out. I also have other altered tastes from toothpaste and who knows what else.

I find certain foods make it worse, particularly cooking oils. Sometimes oatmeal. Things without salt. If I eat salty foods it's even worse. Like my saliva is seawater.

Just add this to your list of crazy symptoms.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
You might want to check the sodium level of the Gatorade you're drinking. I prefer to drink Vitalyte, whose chemical composition more closely matches our body fluids. Each serving of Vitalyte has 68mg of sodium, which might be half of what Gatorade has. I've been drinking this stuff for 20 years. It's not just for athletes.

http://www.vitalyte.com/products/electrolyte-replacement.html

Your kidneys will dump the excess sodium coming from Gatorade, but it's best to drink something closer to what's in Vitalyte, since it is isotonic, i.e. it's very similar in chemical composition to our body fluids.
By combining the required electrolytes in ratios that your body can uptake more effectively, our Electrolyte Replacement drink mix can restore lost electrolytes very quickly. Our isotonic formula has been carefully refined to afford you the maximum performance potential, right when you need it.