• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VDR gene polymosphisms: allelic interpretation

nanonug

According to the paper ("Molecular Epidemiology of Vitamin D Receptor Gene Variants"):

• FokI - C allele corresponds to F; T allele corresponds to f; C is risk allele; and,
  • BsmI - B allele strong concordance with TaqI t allele; bb genotype frequency is 2% Asians and 17% Caucasians. Looking at dbSNP for rs1544410 this suggests that B=G and b=A.

Is this interpretation of FokI and BsmI/TaqI alleles correct?

PS: I still don't understand the significance assigned by Yasko to these polymorphisms...

determined

I wish there were more information about these and many other SNPs. The ability to detect them is way ahead of an understanding of what they might mean.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
idk, I have both of them. For the one that affects ability to retain vitamin D and thus absorb calcium, I take 50,000 units D/week sublingual from Superior Source from iherb (I buy the 5,000 unit bottle). I maintain my D levels in blood at 70 and this is ideal. Correct D levels are required for correctly regulating one of the methylation enzymes.

The other VDR defect has something to do with diabetes? I don't recall. So far I am beating diabetes with DHEA (diabetes is tied to low testosterone in men, ok I am a woman but DHEA also makes estrogen - whatever, it seems to work). I also take OLE to protect the cells of the pancreas from something that destroys them according to some study reported at www.lef.org. I actually take OLE for other reasons, this is just a bonus.

The above seems to do the trick for both VDR defects as far as I can tell...

Trif