• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using a Blood Pressure Cuff for Diagnostics

LINE

Posting this since someone might benefit from it.

Overview: Blood pressure is more than blood pressure - e.g. it can give an indication of immune responses and endocrine responses (cortisol)

Overview #2: The body is a network of different systems - when the immune system is triggered, it sets off a cascade of different events that are not beneficial (at least for ME people). Cortisol is a partner with the immune system and when levels of cortisol is elevated, then a whole host of metabolic changes occur. Inflammation would be the best word.

My blood pressure was scooting high and eventually need a nitroglycerin Rx to control it - of interest is that nitroglycerin is typically used for angina but works well for my blood pressure. Concept is that it induces nitric oxide* which expands the blood vessels.

Other blood pressure meds actually caused me problems, these were the angiotensin meds - these block angiotensin receptors and I think the renin systems. I actually went back into auto-immunity following microdoses of these meds. I found out later that the angiotensin/renin system is more than blood pressure but also works in the immune response. I learned this from the auto-immune people.

I have tested foods in particular and can see changes in blood pressure and pulse rate which will elevate during a reactive phase. For example, I can see elevation occurring from processed foods or even dairy.

Other tests include the use of supplements.

Obviously, establishing a baseline of the average blood pressure is helpful, time of day of measurement can be a factor since cortisol will cycle throughout the day. Emotional events could also play a factor.

Conclusion:
Blood pressure measurements can be a helpful diagnostic tool to locate inflammatory events.

I use an Omron device which has been reliable.

*Nitric Oxide has been studied in ME etiology - Dr. Marin Pall researched this. NO is a complex molecule that has a multitude of uses.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

Blood pressure measurements can be a helpful diagnostic tool to locate inflammatory events.
How, exactly, do you check readings relative to "trying something"...(like eating Food X)?? How do you establish a baseline?

Recently, I got a bunch of testing done. And most of my readings on autoimmune stuff indicates I am "a wee bit inflamed". A "wee bit" of autoimmune problem. ( A wee bit of low grade B cell lymphoma).

And I feel this horrible every day? And can't do diddly squat?

Rufous McKinney

Obviously, establishing a baseline of the average blood pressure is helpful, time of day of measurement can be a factor since cortisol will cycle throughout the day. Emotional events could also play a factor.
I've been checking both arms lately and finding rather significant differences at least some of the time.

Are you doing readings from the same arm?

hapl808

I've been checking both arms lately and finding rather significant differences at least some of the time.

I believe if there is frequently a significant difference between the arms, it should likely be raised with a physician as it can be a sign of other issues.

LINE

I would note that much of problem originated in the gut because of bad bugs. With those bad bugs, comes lots of immune reactions, this means

Typically, from the left arm - the right arm is close to the readings of the left. I am not sure why the difference as @hapl808 indicated.