• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unilateral or bilateral tinnitus with instability at the craniocervical junction

pattismith

Secondary Tinnitus as a Symptom of Instability of the Upper Cervical Spine: Operative Management

Abbas Montazem Sofflingen Hospital, VIm, Germany, 2000

Abstract:

Tinnitus very often is caused by instability of the craniocervical junction.
It very frequently manifests as a high-pitched whistle that disappears after operative correction and stabilization of the articular geometry. Prolapsed intervertebral disks, discoligamentous injury, and even metastases as low as level C3 can cause tinnitus, which also usually disappears after surgery.

...patient group with instability at the craniocervical junction had usually reported a unilateral or bilateral high-pitched whistle. In patients with dysfunction at C2-C3 or C3-C4, we also found tinnitus but of a different character.
This mostly manifested as splashing or crackling noises...

Hi @pattismith ,

thank you! Tinnitus is not the worst symptom for me, but a pretty annoying one. Theres definitely a connection to the neck. Tinnitus started in my case just with exercises for this area.

Recarding the article, I would like to add, the author is highly controversial in Germany. Some adore him, but he is sued several times and moved from one german hospital to another. He moved back to Iran some years ago. His surgery method for chronified issues after wiplash is very similar to what we discuss in the CCI context.

Btw.: Its "Ulm" not "Vlm" ;)