• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Parliament Debates ME on January 24, 2019

Gemini

#ME Action announced: We made history! Last Thursday, UK Parliament debated ME in the House of Commons for the first time.

#MEAction UK has fought long and hard to bring a debate on myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) to the House of Commons, and, last Thursday, Jan. 24th, we reached a historical moment of victory for our movement!

In a historic debate, more than 40 MPs from across the political divide sat in the House of Commons to debate a motion on ME, with 27 making impassioned speeches on behalf of their constituents. Together they unanimously passed this motion:

“That this House calls on the Government to provide increased funding for biomedical research into the diagnosis and treatment of ME, supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment, supports updated training of GPs and medical professionals to ensure they are equipped with clear guidance on diagnosis of ME and appropriate management advice to reflect international consensus on best practice, and is concerned about the current trends of subjecting ME families to unjustified child protection procedures”.

The House of Commons debate builds on two Westminster Hall debates from last year, which our community also fought hard to achieve, and shows the breadth of support for this subject and need for further debate on a centre stage.

Read more here:
https://www.meaction.net/2019/01/25/historic-parliamentary-debate-shaped-by-people-with-me/

Last edited: