• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TV interview with Merryn Croft's mum today, and newspaper articles on ME about to be published

Countrygirl

Clare Norton's (her daughter Merryn Croft died of ME quite recently) interview should be shown on the UK's Channel 4 news tonight. Unfortunately, the interview with Karen Gordon's parents has been 'pulled' much to their disappointment.​

Here is a link to Karen's petition.https://www.change.org/p/save-karen-gordon-from-dying-of-malnutrition-and-dehydration-due-to-nhs-failings

You may also like to know that for several days Dr Weir and I have been working hard with Ellie Fry who write an excellent article on ME a couple of weeks ago for the Daily Mirror (hence why I haven't been on here much). Dr Weir has written a 'Layperson's Guide to ME' for the paper, and I have produced more than one hundred pages of evidence for Ellie to use. The editor phoned me for a chat and said they hope to run a campaign for ME. Meanwhile, Ellie's article/s should be published in a couple of weeks.

Also over the past year, I have been contacted regularly by Jessica, who writes for The TImes, The Guardian, and The Telegraph and there should be an article appearing in The Times over the next two weekends.
We have no control over the contents, who else they might interview, or the slant of the article, but we know that Ellie understands the situation as she also has a mum with ME.

Here is Ellie's last article on ME. https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news...n67c8r1TbygzXuBVoPdzj9Dt-QYc#comments-wrapper

We hoped that an article would also appear in the media to save a teenager's life who had only 3% capacity last week. The hospital has rejected the NICE guidelines as the consultant says ME doesn't exist and that she must undergo GET. The hospital has rejected very strong advice from two external ME consultants. She can neither eat nor drink, has no feeding tube, and was reported two days ago as no longer responsive, unable to communicate using breath sounds, and had no significant amount of fluid for a week. Unfortunately, Mum is too severely ill herself with ME, and distressed over her daughter's abusive treatment, to be able to be interviewed by the paper. They are keen to run a campaign to save the teenager as was done a year ago to save Alice Barrett when the Wonford Hospital, after allowing Maeve to die, brought her to the brink of death by refusing to feed her because she couldn't sit up.

EDITED TO SAY CLARE'S INTERVIEW WON'T BE SHOWN NOW UNTIL NEXT MONDAY.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Say what you need and we'll all be there. Its distressing this is still happening but I know myself no progress has been made with the NHS yet. I am hopeful Maeve's inquest will be a warning shot they all hear that leaving patients to die from lack of water and food while ignoring the guidelines is a career ending move with jail time.

Countrygirl

Say what you need and we'll all be there. Its distressing this is still happening but I know myself no progress has been made with the NHS yet. I am hopeful Maeve's inquest will be a warning shot they all hear that leaving patients to die from lack of water and food while ignoring the guidelines is a career ending move with jail time.
Unfortunately,I have to withhold the most powerful information because the majority of patients are (quote) 'too terrified' to give their stories to the media because of the threat of retaliation from the doctors who abused/wilfully neglected/displayed prejudice towards their patients or withheld feeding tubes from starving patients so they died Doctors, in the case of children, weaponise the accusation of FII when mums complain about the treatment of their children. This has occurred quite frequently so the fear is realistic.

Nevertheless,I have been able to provide a hundred pages of strong evidence.

Tsukareta

There was another young female I heard about because they were one of the early people to die from the 'MAID' medically assisted suicide, they had severe ME according to the story but it sounded like they had only been ill for a few years, presumably they were stuck in the severe state :(