• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tuning of human MAIT cell activation by commensal bacteria species and MR1-dependent T-cell presenta

FMMM1

Looks like an interesting paper and presumably this was the finding that led to the NIH ME/CFS Centre grant award.

I've only looked briefly at the abstract [couldn't find the full paper] but this paper seems to link to previous ME/CFS research. E.g. Chris Armstrong's finding that there was a change in cellular energy production in ME/CFS and a change in the gut microbiome. Chris propoposed that the change in cellular energy production was a result of the altered microbiome [https://solvecfs.org/solve-mecfs-initiative-2016-webinar-series/]. In this paper Unutmaz/Oh highlight that changes in the composition of your microbiome (gut bugs), i.e. increase in pathogenic species relative to non-pathogenic species, results in activation of Mucosal-associated invariant T (MAIT) cells. Regarding the signalling chemicals the MAIT cells are producing the authors state that:
"This T–T cell-mediated signaling also induced IFNγ, TNF and granzyme B from MAIT cells, albeit at lower level than professional APC [antigen presenting cells]" [https://www.nature.com/articles/s41385-018-0072-x].

I wonder if the "IFNγ, TNF and granzyme B from MAIT cells" could be the signaling factor that Fluge/Mella proposed:
"According to this model, ME/CFS is caused by immune interference with an unidentified target, potentially a signaling factor, which ultimately causes metabolic dysfunction and induction of secondary rescue mechanisms" https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/89376].
Ron Davis, did some work on trying to find this signaling factor. I wonder if this paper (Unutmaz/Oh's) will help to identify the signalling factor i.e. which results in the altered energy production?

This paper (Unutmaz/Oh's) may support the proposal that ME/CFS is similar to sepsis [https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...me-cfs-research-center-fulfills-crucial-need/].

Also, the increased intracellular tryptophan identified by Phair, and proposed as the cause of ME/CFS,
could be the result of the change to using amino acids (including tryptophan) for cellular energy production.

Please think about lobbying for more funding from the European Union [https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...yre-working-for-you.61516/page-2#post-1017469]. Lyme disease got 33.9 million (dollars/euros) from the European Union Horizon 2020 (science and technology) fund; ME/CFS got zero.

Here's a draft letter I'm hoping to send to Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) seeking support for research/development of a diagnostic test for ME/CFS. If you can lobby MEPs, or know others who can (e.g. those involved in the missing million campaign throughout Europe), then I'd be grateful for your assistance.

*Draft letter to MEPs:
"Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) affects more than one million people within the EU. This illness is characterised by persistent and excessive fatigue, post-exertional malaise, flu-like symptoms and cognitive impairments. Most sufferers are unable to lead a normal life. Those affected are predominately women. Many people with ME/CFS feel that they are labelled as having a psychological condition and that research into ME/CFS is not prioritised as a result of this "psychological" label.

Many of the symptoms of ME/CFS overlap with those of Lyme disease and fibromyalgia.

There are no established biological diagnostic tests for ME/CFS, nor are there any treatments.

Professor Carmen Scheibenbogen, Charite, Germany recently discovered that people with ME/CFS can be separated from healthy people by measuring the expression of three genes.
Professor Julia Newton at Newcastle University found that differences in cellular energy production can be used to separate people with ME/CFS from healthy people.
These discoveries could be the basis of a biological diagnostic test for ME/CFS.

There are other excellent researchers in the European Union working on ME/CFS e.g. Professor Jonas Bergquist Uppsala University, Sweden; Professor Øystein Fluge and Olav Mella Haukeland universitetssykehus Norway.

The European Commission has funded the European Network on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome [EUROMENE] under the Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) program. However, the Commission, in its response to a Parliamentary Question on Funding of research on ME/CFS [E-006901/2017] acknowledge that it had not funded any research into ME/CFS:
"To date, no specific projects on ME/CFS have been supported by the EU Framework Programmes for Research and Innovation."

Request:
I would be grateful if you would lobby the European Commission to ask that they fund research into ME/CFS, including the development of a diagnostic test. ME/CFS affects approximately 1 million people in the European Union; most of them are unable to lead a normal life. The development of a diagnostic test, and effective treatments, would help to reduce the suffering of these people."

Back