• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

trying to make some sense of it all - would be grateful for corrections

Shell

As I am sofa'd at the moment, I am trying to make sense of a few things.
I have been collecting dx and potential dx - HyperPOTS and IST fibro ME asthma vocal cord dysfunction. migraine labile hypertension ( making the hyperPOTS combo)

So. I think I get the whole autonomic nervous system dysfunction. In my case "fight and flight" is so bust.

Is it like this:

hypothalamus runs the pituitary which runs the hormones but most especially anything the adrenals get up to. Cortisol is released from the adrenal cortex - does that trigger epinephrine (adrenaline) release? And then that's converted (??) to norep/noradren which in turn is converted to dopamine.
At this point a person with no dopamine or no uptake will have Parkinsons
A person with too much dopamine and too much uptake will have schizophrenia
Then those of us int the middle with either not enough dopamine or not enough uptake or not enough re-uptake get some kind of POTS - hyperPOTS or possible IST

I've just learned that even vocal cord dysfunction has been found to be related to a bust HPA axis.

Now - off on a weird tangent.
I have worked with a lot of people with schizophrenia. Most of them had "voices" of some kind. I even worked with a born deaf profoundly deaf person who insisted she heard voices. (she didn't see someone signing at her)
At an international conference on Mental Health and Deafness I saw the presentation of a paper by a French team who had done fMRIs on BDPD people who heard voices. The language centres of the brain lit up even though they weren't "seeing Sign". (Brocca and Wernickers - don't make me spell 'em)

I have aphasia. I get thought block, word scrambling and general language blurble flurble.

Does anyone know if dopamine effects language perception and production? Could too much dopamine make "voices" in the language centres of even Deaf people and too little cause aphasia?

As you can see being stuck on the sofa is making me think thoughts of thunk.