• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Truth about adrenal fatigue and how immune system effects it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac0npV7dA70

A quick run down is that this guy is saying that infections and cytokines from infections can interrupt the actions of cortisol so it doesnt work properly, there are other reason but i think this is more related to cfs/me then alot of people realise. These hormones also have alot to do with blood pressure etc so maybe reason for POTS/OI symptoms in cfs too

PokerPlayer

I was always under the view that adrenal fatigue = a certain type of infection/bacteria that affects adrenal hormone production.

It seems like adrenal fatigue can lead to cfs/me and the other way around as well. This would make sense if they both are immune system deficiency problems, and they kind of have synergistic effects on one another.

heapsreal

I was always under the view that adrenal fatigue = a certain type of infection/bacteria that affects adrenal hormone production.

It seems like adrenal fatigue can lead to cfs/me and the other way around as well. This would make sense if they both are immune system deficiency problems, and they kind of have synergistic effects on one another.

Yes exactly, i think this is why its improtant to not only find what infections are causing problems and improve immune function but having these infections long term can worsen adrenal fatigue and this will need treating itself even when infection is cleared. This is the process i am in now, i reacted poorly to treating adrenals when infections were still troubling me but now handling adrenal hormone treatments better. Plus doing this will strengthen the immune system further as well. I think those that have partially responded to antivirals etc but still have some residual fatigue etc would benefit alot from adrenal type treatments. The video explains it very well.

cheers!!!

xchocoholic

Thanks heaps, that was really helpful. I.m positive for adrenal fatigue but my doc just has me working on restoring my gut. This explains why .. Tc . X

u&iraok

Here's a study from PubMed that shows the relationship between cortisol and cytokines. The study focuses on reactions to stress but since a faulty HPA axis has an effect on stress response, note the conclusion which I've highlighted:

Abstract
Glucocorticoids can down-regulate immune activity, but acute stress has been reported to increase both cortisol and levels of plasma cytokines. We investigated individual differences in cortisol responses and their associations with proinflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin-6 (IL-6), interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra), cardiovascular activity, and mental health. Saliva samples and blood were taken from 199 healthy middle-aged participants of the Whitehall II cohort at baseline, immediately after stress and 45 min later. We defined the 40% of participants with the highest cortisol response to stress as the cortisol responder group and 40% with the lowest response as the cortisol non-responder group. Plasma IL-6 was higher and the IL-1ra response to stress was greater in the cortisol non-responder group. The cortisol non-responders showed lower heart rate variability than the cortisol responders. The cortisol responder group experienced more subjective stress during the tasks and reported more impaired mental health than the non-responders. We conclude that individual variations in neuroendocrine stress responsivity may have an impact on proinflammatory cytokines, and that both high and low cortisol stress responsiveness has potentially adverse effects.

heapsreal

So with all these hormones etc, theres no good or bad hormone, its just that we need the optimal amount and the correct hormonal response to certain situations, so elevated cortisol is what you want with a stressful situation has it helps us to function when this happens, its the prolonged high cortisol levels that cause damage and with some of us it burns out and we produce chronically less cortisol then we are suppose to, so dont react very well to stress ie infection, emotional stuff etc etc. The best we can do is to try and get them all to an optimal levels not just into the lab ranges of blood tests as these are far from optimal.

cheers!!!