• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for Blastocystis in 2024

So my stool came back positive for Blastocystis in November 2023. I have been trying to treat but without success using Metronidazole, Nitazoxanide, Probotic (florastor) and an anti-parasite cleanse (Scram).

Despite all of the above the stool test is still positive.

I have been reading the below thread on combination therapy, but some of the drugs are no longer available (furazolidone) and Bactrim has a low success rate for Blasto.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/tricycline-for-parasites-anyone.37000/#post-587734

Having researched, it looks my next option is to use Paromomycin in combination with Secnidazole & Nitazoxanide?

Seadragon

Blastocystis exists often in the gut without causing symptoms in many people.

Is there a reason you think this is a problem to you? Gut issues etc?

Although the symptons are mild, my celiac antibodies have become positive. So i need to rule out if these antibodies are transient (due to the blasto infection) or are now permanent.

When i had treated giardia (which is biologically similar to giardia) a couple of years ago, these antibodies turned negative.

Research on transient antibodies:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29911457/

MaximilianKohler

Agree with Seadragon. Likely not a good idea to attempt to eradicate

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadragon

@Sugarcube23 - you maybe could get a valid test for Coeliac antibodies via your GP and if the test is positive, the advice is to avoid gluten in any form. You probably know this already though.

You can mess up your gut further by treating what are usually harmless microbes like Blastocystis in the gut because antibiotics kill the good bacteria also and upset the gut flora/biome.

That is just my opinion though - I am someone who was given multiple courses of unnecessary antibiotics as a child which I believe may possibly have had a part to play in the development of my illness.

Hi,

My GP wants me to try for microbiome dysfunction Nitazoxanide.

I am unable to find it in Europe.

Any pharmacy who sells it online ?
I suggest doing a stool test first to confirm any parasitic/bacteria infection.

If set on Nitazoxanide, it can be obtained on Indiamart and the other online pharmacies mentioned on this forum