• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TRE

About to try this out with a practitioner in Scotland. Believing ALL of my dysfunction is related to my CNS. Curious if any one has tried it, and with any success? My thought is to combine it with other forms of detox, vitamin supplements and clean eating(something close to it).

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jpac - I'd never heard of TRE before (Tension and Trauma Release exercises) - It looks sort of interesting, though I'm a little gun shy about things like this, but you never know. I would be interested to hear how it goes for you, if you don't mind - thanks!

Dufresne

almost there...
I've been meaning to write a post about TRE for over a year. Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to write long, complicated posts so I've yet to submit anything to the forum on this topic. It's complicated because this therapy goes deep into the immune system. My experience with it over the last couple years is that it can restore the immune system in a big way, my cellular immunity in particular. It's shown me that accumulated stress seriously impairs this arm of the immune system and, also, that it is totally reversible.

This is one of the most amazing interventions I've tried and I believe it to be absolutely essential for me. It's been a revelation, and I don't even have a traumatic past. A lifetime of anxiety, sure, as the result of my infections. In my case the infections cause the anxiety, I believe to ensure their survival.

I'm happy you bring up the subject. Hopefully I can share what I've observed with TRE in smaller, bite-sized chunks. I've actually felt guilty sitting on this one for over a year.

Dufresne

almost there...
I've every confidence that this technique can wipe out my chronic Lyme and babesia infections. The problem is that stimulating cellular immunity now comes with a big price for me. I end up with serious depression and mood issues when I start killing cellular Lyme in my brain. It takes me from a relatively mild case to rather severe very quickly and it takes months to get through it. This is a phenomenon very similar to interferon-induced depression. I'm quite sure it's the same mechanism, only my interferon is endogenous. The fact that it worsens my CFS at the core is rather interesting. Interesting because it suggests to me that any cellular infection in the brain can cause serious limbic dysfunction and CFS if the conditions are right. So how to kill the intracellular infections without incurring depression, rage, and severe ME/CFS?. The answer is likely going to involve addressing terrain. The other possibility is a prophylactic antidepressant strategy.

Dufresne

almost there...
I think this therapy is remarkably undersold and there is a lot of goofiness online about it. That said...

This first video is a decent primer for anyone interested.

This next one has an instructional toward the end that's not bad.

This is a doctor who apparently healed his CFS with TRE.

Dufresne

almost there...
Although the technique is generally taught by pre-exhausting the muscles in the hips and legs this step is not absolutely necessary. In fact once one gets the hang of it most people skip the pre-exhausting poses.

In my experience it's not completely involuntary shaking. I hold myself in a position so the shaking can ensue.

It's recommended to not exceed 15-20 minutes every other day for the first 6 weeks.

Thx! I plan to start slow and take it from there. Will keep you updated. I trust this will be beneficial.