• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To operate on a paraovarian cyst or not

Artemisia

I have a large para-ovarian cyst that is 8 cm across. So, about the size of a small apple. It is not in the ovary but outside it, so the gynecologist says it's not secreting hormones or causing problems. Blood work shows it's not cancerous.

She says it's not necessary to remove it, but I can choose to have surgery if I want. I definitely have high estrogen symptoms of weight gain, insulin resistance, and very irregular periods. I'm in my late 30s. The gyno says removal of the cyst will not influence those symptoms but I don't know if I believe her -- she's been wrong before.

However, I worry about the general anesthesia making my CFS/ME worse. This would be laparoscopic surgery.

To complicate matters, I will only have insurance for one more month, as I live in the US and next year I will not have Medicaid due to income changes. So if I'm going to do the surgery, I would need to do it very soon. If the cyst were to grow or become problematic, I would have to pay for the surgery, or at least a high co-pay if I have insurance in the future, if I wait.

Wondering if anyone has insight. I have read that some people with ME get worse from surgery. Thank you.

Revel

I don't know if I believe her -- she's been wrong before.
Are you able to get a second opinion to help you make the decision with more confidence?
. Blood work shows it's not cancerous.
Assuming that you mean the CA-125 test, this is a good indicator but it is not 100% accurate.
However, I worry about the general anesthesia making my CFS/ME worse. This would be laparoscopic surgery.
In September, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a "sinister" cystic ovary. Four weeks later, I had to have open abdominal surgery for another issue. So, two general anaesthetics in the space of a month.

I have had ME/CFS for several decades and am housebound (mainly horizontal on the couch!). Post-surgery, my POTS has worsened a little but, other than this, my ME/CFS symptoms have remained about the same. I anticipate that my POTS will return to my normal baseline, given sufficient recovery time.

I honestly expected to feel much worse, but I really don't feel too bad, all things considered.

Artemisia

Are you able to get a second opinion to help you make the decision with more confidence?

Assuming that you mean the CA-125 test, this is a good indicator but it is not 100% accurate.

In September, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a "sinister" cystic ovary. Four weeks later, I had to have open abdominal surgery for another issue. So, two general anaesthetics in the space of a month.

I have had ME/CFS for several decades and am housebound (mainly horizontal on the couch!). Post-surgery, my POTS has worsened a little but, other than this, my ME/CFS symptoms have remained about the same. I anticipate that my POTS will return to my normal baseline, given sufficient recovery time.

I honestly expected to feel much worse, but I really don't feel too bad, all things considered.
I will try to get a second opinion, but it's doubtful I can see the second gyno and get surgery if I choose it, all before I lose insurance Dec 31. :(

Yes, CA-125.

Thanks. Glad to hear you haven't worsened from your surgeries.

Learner1

Years ago, I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. Then I had symptoms of estrogen dominance. Then, I changed my diet, took vitamins, and was in the best shape of my life. Then, my ovary ruptured, causing excruciating pain. In surgery, I was diagnised with stage 3 uterine cancer. Two weeks before, I'd had an annual exam, a normal Pap smear. My CA-125 wasn't high.

If it were me, I'd at least get a second opinion, and then likely request laparascopic surgery, which is less invasive. And monitor progesterone levels so as to not be estrogen dominant.

Best wishes...

Years ago, I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. Then I had symptoms of estrogen dominance. Then, I changed my diet, took vitamins, and was in the best shape of my life. Then, my ovary ruptured, causing excruciating pain. In surgery, I was diagnised with stage 3 uterine cancer. Two weeks before, I'd had an annual exam, a normal Pap smear. My CA-125 wasn't high.

If it were me, I'd at least get a second opinion, and then likely request laparascopic surgery, which is less invasive. And monitor progesterone levels so as to not be estrogen dominant.

Best wishes...
How do you treat the high estrogen? Doctor order for surgery but i cant :( :( i dont know what i should do

I have a large para-ovarian cyst that is 8 cm across. So, about the size of a small apple. It is not in the ovary but outside it, so the gynecologist says it's not secreting hormones or causing problems. Blood work shows it's not cancerous.

She says it's not necessary to remove it, but I can choose to have surgery if I want. I definitely have high estrogen symptoms of weight gain, insulin resistance, and very irregular periods. I'm in my late 30s. The gyno says removal of the cyst will not influence those symptoms but I don't know if I believe her -- she's been wrong before.

To complicate matters, I will only have insurance for one more month, as I live in the US and next year I will not have Medicaid due to income changes. So if I'm going to do the surgery, I would need to do it very soon. If the cyst were to grow or become problematic, I would have to pay for the surgery, or at least a high co-pay if I have insurance in the future, if I wait.

Wondering if anyone has insight. I have read that some people with ME get worse from surgery. Thank you.
Hi
How was your experience? Why theres no update?
I wonder if there's other treatment to help reduce. I read about sclerotherapy.