• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time to stop work?

Thanks everyone. I've let my doctor know that I won't be returning to work. I'm looking into lawyers to help me figure out whether I have a chance with LTD. There's a very good chance I'll be denied based on the pre-existing condition exclusion. If that happens, I'm not sure how much of a case I have for appeal.

The hardest thing is figuring out whether I should apply for SSDI, or try working part time for a while first. The benefits are based on average salary over the last 10 years, and since I've only been in the workforce the past 5 years, my SSDI benefit amount would ultimately go up as long as I made more than I did in college. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm aware that at 31, it's harder to get approved. Plus I would really like to try working part time eventually.

At this point I think I'll wait a few months, see what happens with my upcoming diagnostic tests, talk to a lawyer, and make a decision in the spring. I definitely need more rest, and time to get used to navigating the world in a wheelchair (my chair arrives in about a week, hooray!), before I even think about working again.

rel8ted

Thanks everyone. I've let my doctor know that I won't be returning to work. I'm looking into lawyers to help me figure out whether I have a chance with LTD. There's a very good chance I'll be denied based on the pre-existing condition exclusion. If that happens, I'm not sure how much of a case I have for appeal.

The hardest thing is figuring out whether I should apply for SSDI, or try working part time for a while first. The benefits are based on average salary over the last 10 years, and since I've only been in the workforce the past 5 years, my SSDI benefit amount would ultimately go up as long as I made more than I did in college. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm aware that at 31, it's harder to get approved. Plus I would really like to try working part time eventually.

At this point I think I'll wait a few months, see what happens with my upcoming diagnostic tests, talk to a lawyer, and make a decision in the spring. I definitely need more rest, and time to get used to navigating the world in a wheelchair (my chair arrives in about a week, hooray!), before I even think about working again.
When I applied at 40, I was told it was a long shot because I was young and well educated. We submitted, were denied,appealed and then approved. There was more testing and doc visits between during the appeal phase, but nothing I did not expect.

When I applied at 40, I was told it was a long shot because I was young and well educated. We submitted, were denied, appealed and then approved. There was more testing and doc visits between during the appeal phase, but nothing I did not expect.

I'm so glad it worked out for you! I get the sense that if I persist - especially with the support of a lawyer - I will eventually win.