• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thiamine-reduced fatigue in quiescent inflammatory bowel disease is linked to Faecalibacterium prausnitzii; Bermudez-Sanchez; August 2024

Mary

Moderator Resource
This is a Journal Pre-Proof: https://www.ghadvances.org/article/S2772-5723(24)00127-4/pdf

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...S&cvid=0bcf3d6187d1418396ecdd12cefb9fc5&ei=91

Maybe this would be a clue as to why some of us (including me) respond to thiamine supplementation with increased energy, and some don't. I don't have IBD btw. Anyways, my response to taking 100 mg. of thiamine several years ago was almost immediate - within a day - with a really nice surge of energy I had not had for a very long time. Followed rapidly by severe fatigue (apparently refeeding syndrome) which tanked my phosphorous and I had to start taking a phosphorous supplement, which I still have to take. But I get to keep taking my B-1.

Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is one of the most abundant bacterial species in the gut:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ismej2016176

LINE

Good post, one of the better articles on this bacteria. F. prausnitzii is a butyrate producer (and there are others). They have found low levels of it in ME studies.

This bacteria and the other butyrate producers are reduced when dealing with other microbes (bad ones) in the gut. IBS is a good sign that there are unwanted bugs in the gut.

Last edited:

LINE

If I may add. Since prausnitzii produces butyrate, the butyrate reduces inflammatory cytokines such as NF kB.

Excessive NF kB creates many problems such as reducing mitochondria production, with low mitochondria production, the cells lose their robustness. It also attacks the intestinal tract which causes permeability which leads to more inflammation.

They discuss various nutrients that aid in the production including many b vitamins as Mary suggests, they also mention some prebiotics such as pectin (apples etc.). They also mention N-acetylglucosamine which is also known as NAG. Inulin is also discussed; this is found in various plants such as asparagus.

My experience is the best options is simply trial and error, some things have been proposed to work but did not.

Mary

Moderator Resource
They also mention N-acetylglucosamine which is also known as NAG.

Interesting - I've been taking NAG at night to help with sleep for many months now. It's one of the supplements @Hip credits with reducing his severe anxiety so I figured it might help with sleep and I think it helps a little.

My experience is the best options is simply trial and error,

I completely agree!

LINE

@Mary Don't forget that glycine is involved in the gut environment, and it helps the barrier integrity. A better gut barrier integrity means less anxiety. I followed your advice on the glycine and it did work!

Back