• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The implications of fructose consumption

Snez

I wasn't sure whether this was the right place to put this link as it isn't directly applicable to CFS/ME. However, those who are vitally interested in dietary principles, particularly low carbohydrate diets, will find this mind boggling.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=player_embedded

I was impressed by this highly informative presentation by Robert H. Lustig, MD, Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology (Uni of California). His basic stance is that we are poisoned by high fructose consumption: fructose is a carbohydrate, is metabolized like fat and is a toxin. He links fructose to obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and gout (amongst other diseases). Fructose does not suppress the hunger hormone and acts on the liver in a unique and detrimental way.

For those with a biochemical bent there are detailed explanations of the biochemical pathways of fructose as metabolized by the liver.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I had allergy test done a few years ago and it was very positive to "Corn". What was odd was I ate corn a lot, whether it was popcorn or corn on the cob and it wasn't coresponding with my symptoms. What was kicking my symptoms off was "High Fructose Corn Syrup" and it was causing my sugar levels to act very sporadic. I can tolerate something (in limited amounts) with regular cane sugar and do okay. but not with HFCS. I haven't read the article yet, but I'm probably going to agree with it. It should not be allowed for human consumption. Have read articles that don't claim, but strongly believe that it's increased use in food processing has coincided with the rise in Diabetes 2, Metabolic Syndrome and others. Bad part is that it is in almost everything you see in a grocery store. Good thing is that "Earth Fare" doesn't sell anything with that in it.

Snez

I totally agree Cort and August.
I have been aware of the fructose issue for some time now, particularly when I started to have gastrointestinal problems. My bloating and discomfort were partly to do with fructose malabsorption - which I now have under control through a low carbohydrate diet (includes low fruit intake).

For further reading on this important topic (and other food issues such as the fast food industry) try Michael Pollan's books "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food".

Snez

Tony

Still working on it all..
Another KDM patient here. Good to see you here Athene. You're right, KDM was quoted as saying the fructose malabsorption was 46% in ME/CFS (from a group of 143)
We had another chat about this here

I've not heard about the gluten allergy before but wheat is high in fructose chains (fructans) so is certainly one to avoid. For me it was the major culprit. I half discovered the problem by avoiding gluten before I knew about it.

Have you been seeing KDM long? I've had just the two appts with a plan just beginning to emerge on what else to do.