• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Beatitudes

BEG

THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10

I don't think these need an explanation except they give us a remarkable way to conduct our lives. For some odd reason, the PR forums are turning me into a more committed Christian. I always considered myself agnostic.

L

longbow

This is the one major benefit of ME for me. I was a sincere seeker for most of my life, but ME has caused me to seek and find with a dedication known only to the desperate. I am grateful for my evolution into a believer and for this one true, great Friend who is always there, always understands, always loves, always accepts. I am not a fundamentalist, I am not a member of a church, but I am a Christian. Thanks be to God, and God bless us all.

Martlet

Longbow - I found my four years of severe sickness the most profoundly spiritual experience. Where people deserted, it seemed God stepped in more and more. One day, I was lying on the sofa in extreme pain, too weary to move. I called out on the Lord, "I'm sinking, but all I ask is that you take my hand and keep hold of it as I go below the waves, then please pull me back out before I drown." It was a real cry of the heart. In my head, I heard the words, "Look at the Cross." I replied, "Oh Lord, I have been looking at the Cross for three years now, and I am weary." But I turned my head and focused on a crucifix hanging on a wall on the far side of the room, and as I did so, I "heard" not as an external voice, but that still quiet voice saying "Now walk through the Cross into the Light." From that point on, I saw my sickness not as a burden, but as a doorway to the heart of God. A year later,when I hit rock bottom and thought I would surely die, I abandoned myself entirely into his will saying, "Whatever you want, Papa." That night, I was healed.

Tammie

I don't think these need an explanation except they give us a remarkable way to conduct our lives. For some odd reason, the PR forums are turning me into a more committed Christian. I always considered myself agnostic.

not to be one of those pushy Christians who winds up turning people away, but I have to tell you that when i read the last two sentecnes you wrote, I was inwardly cheering. : ) it's always neat to be able to share Christianity with others and to know that they are finding the hope that it brings

also, it's interesting that someone who ahs been outside the faith is giving me a very good reminder of a wonderful Biblical message - I don't mean that in a condesceding way - I mean that it is cool......I haven't read the Beatitidues in quite awhile and I am glad you posted them

and longbow and martlet I am glad that you have that hope, too

Resting

originally posted by Brown-eyed Girl;92371

First I want to say thank you for posting the Beattitudes! What a great reminder to me and others.

I have been a Christian for many years (prior to this illness) but I have grown so much in my faith because of this illness.
Like longbow said, it is the desperate who can truly see. It is not that we actually need God more now but it is that we can now see that we always needed Him.

I'm sorry Brown-Eyed Girl that you have this awful illness. But I am glad that you can see the good that can come out of it. "All things work together for the good of them that love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
Thanks again for posting these!

BEG

Longbow, martlet, resting, and Tammie,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad we have the freedom to express our views. Martlet, I do believe your amazing story.