• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tender and now sore groin glands?

Float

Hi there.

I am in somewhat recovery and today went out for a bikini wax!!!!

The warm wax and pulling off was not the problem....the therapist kept pressing pressing pressing on the cooling wax, and then after bits were ripped off, she pressed lots again with some special powder.

Every time she pressed I would have liked to kick her but I stayed the process.

After wards it felt as if I had brusises there and the feeling made me quite nauseous (as though someone had made me chew cotton wool, that kind of eurgh, make it stop). I have had waxes before and this was not the pain of ripped our hairs or too hot wax.

WHY MY QUESTION?
My doc has dx ME, but when I saw him a few visits ago, I told him my glands were always up in the my groins, armpits and throat. He felt my throat and told me it was thyroid cartilidge, not my glands.

I think after todays experience that I obviously have tender glands (permanently though I dont usually press them like this!).
I also feel much more tender if I go for a massage these days, I just cant handle the chinese massage I used to have, it feels like im being tortured, sore, tender.

HOW SHOULD I RAISE THIS WITH MY DOCTOR IN RELATION TO ME?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfcub

First....gosh you are brave to get a bikini wax.
I recall those....
Mine are so fair-coloured, that I let them do their own thing nowadays. My bikini days are over (and related issues! haha) My whole body is way too skinny to be seen, basically.
There is something kind of friendly about my un-weeded lady-garden.:D

There is a form of brutality to the body about a ripping-out thing like that, even for beauty's sake. Even though when we are fine and well, it seems like nothing.
But we get more sensitive especially during this illness. Sensitive to all sorts of things. The body rebels.
Tiny little assaults flare us up and make itches, pains, swellings, bruised feelings.....etc.

It is a natural sensitivity in my opinon. How do you talk with a doctor about this relating to M.E.?
Maybe that your skin has become highly sensitive, or that your muscles have (re: the massage) That these physical things you used to be able to cope with happily, now cause some form of pain.
It may be neurological in origin...(?)

Float

Hiya @Wolfcub Oh haha you crack me up!! Unweeded Lady Garden!! tehehehe!!
Though I feel I havent made my post at all clear.

What I am trying to say is im sure my glands are swollen all the time and this experience just reminded me.
I dont want to focus on it too much as im doing fairly well compared to the past.

But I need to make sure my doc logs it as a symptom and relates it to ME , or otherwise comes up with an alternative reason for them swollen all the time.

Im not sure how I should phrase it to my doc. Im guessing other people with ME dx often have swollen glands all over their body and its a normal symptom.

I do know what you mean about the inceased sensitivity as I havent been able to wear jewelry, be in bright light etc for a very long time. However, im pretty sure the beauty therapist was pressing on sore glands.

Thanks heaps for the giggle and the wisdom :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jesse's mom

HI @Float I have swollen glands and wake up with a sore throat many days, I have a diagnosis on ME/CFS, and Fibromyalgia. These are all just words that describe a cluster of symptoms that describe our illness. I don't think I could have taken someone pressing on my lymph nodes. The last message I got I as sick for days.

A rose by any other name is still a rose, and most of them have thorns.;)

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
HOW SHOULD I RAISE THIS WITH MY DOCTOR IN RELATION TO ME?
My big tip would be: don't bring up the bikini wax! ;):whistle::p Especially if your doctor is a guy.

Having swollen glands is definitely an ME thing. It's not so bad for me now, but for the first couple of years I was sick my glands were always large and tender. Putting on deodorant in the morning would hurt so much!

I wouldn't make a separate visit for this, but the next time you visit your doctor explain again that you've felt tenderness in your groin, and show them exactly where. Tell them what the pain felt like, how high your pain is on the pain scale, and explain that you're no longer able to get massages that you used to be able to tolerate. Don't mention glands, just let your doctor draw their own conclusions. As Joe Friday (a TV cop from a show in the US in the 1950's) used to say: "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Out of curiosity, do you like this doctor? And do you have the option of seeing another? The fact that you're worried that your doctor isn't open to hearing about your symptoms or recording them is worrisome.

I do know what you mean about the inceased sensitivity as I havent been able to wear jewelry, be in bright light etc for a very long time.
But you were still able to get a wax?!?!?? More power to you!

There is something kind of friendly about my un-weeded lady-garden.:D
:rofl: I feel similarly, but probably would have never worded it that way! This makes my day!