• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

T Cells

Need help understanding my results.

% look normal but actual results are low across the board.

My EBV is positive for IGM and apparently these bloods would indicate infection as the T cells haven't recovered or are exhausted?

What bloods could I ask for to look for the reason? Maybe certain markers that inhibit T cell production? Indicate T cell exhaustion? Thymus test maybe?

What about the actual levels? They look worrying to me...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120_111108.jpg
    Screenshot_20201120_111108.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39

Markus83

This looks normal for me (you have to take percentage values). How high are your total white blood cells? And your total lymphocytes?

Wbc and lymphocytes normal just always at bottom end of range.

Guess I am concerned that the actual t cell count is low given that I am experiencing symptoms of an infection for 8 months and haven't got better.

I wonder if boosting these will help, they say t if at T cells are what fight viruses do technically If I suddenly got covid I would be in a bad way I feel... Or certainly disadvantaged compared to other immune systems.

I'm waiting for my cytokines to come back to look at th1 /th2 pathways.

Why would my levels be low even though my lymphocyte is low normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121_114554.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121_114554.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 14

Markus83

Why would my levels be low even though my lymphocyte is low normal?
Low normal absolute lympho count and low normal CD3-T-cell relative count can give low CD3 absolute count. Do you know the percentage of lympho, monozytes and neutrophiles in relation to your total white blood count?

Wbc 4.63

Neutrophils 61.5%

Lymphocytes 28. 1%

Monocyte 7.6%

Esophils 1.9%

Basophils 0.9%

My neutrophils are always highest and my lymphocyte count remains roughly the same, meaning in this draw the % looks OK but in previous draws where the wbc count is higher and that is mostly coming from neutrophils the lymphocyte count % will be lower.

Just seems like I am borderline low on lymphocytes and my body is struggling to produce them, they have been the same throughout this illness and I haven't got any data looking at my lymphocyte count when healthy.

I guess that wouldn't matter so much as I was "healthy" because my immune system wasn't being "challenged ")

I am curious to know if having low normal /lymphocyte counts and t cells below range are putting me at a huge disadvantage to deal with persistent viruses and candida ect.

I plan on throwing all of the usual supplements at myself in hope to bump these up and shift the immune system to TH1 (if other bloods come back suggesting I am more TH2)

Learner1

Yes, it will be more difficult to fight viruses. You might look at this:

https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2377-11-95

My doctor ran a test for NK cell function, which was very low (and typical for PwME). He also ran a PCR test for EBV, which was positive. He then put me on Valcyte, after acyclovir, artesunate, vitamin C, UVBI, and herbals did nothing for it. He recently also put me on thymosin alpha 1 injections to boost T cell production.

You might also look into Immunoglobulins with subclasses. Many of us are low in either total IgG or one or more subclasses of B cells, antibodies which fight viral infections.

You might try a Diagnostics Solutions CytoDX test to look at your cytokines if you're interested. I thought I'd be Th2 shifted, but turned out I was Th1 shifted so after dealing with my infections, we have been dealing with the multiple types of autoimmunity they triggered, which is a lot more difficult.

EBV can trigger all kinds of nasty autoimmunity, including MS, and cancer, so well worth getting it under control before further bad things happen.

sometexan84

@Learner1 Do you have your CytoDX analysis? Can you share please?

Here's mine. I am quite disappointed with all the "<dl" (lower than detectable limit) readings. I figured if I could see other peoples tests, then I might can put more meaning behind my <dl readings.

For instance, I saw a 0.11 reading elsewhere for IL-17. So at least I know my <dl reading there means it's at least as low as 0.11.

1607208989056.png

Learner1

The high IL-10 is probably more significant for you, having potent anti-inflammatory properties and helping to limit immune response to pathogens, thereby preventing damage to the host and maintaining normal tissue homeostasis.

My test showed a clear pattern of high interrelated autoimmune cytokines, with others below the detectable limit, and since then, dealing with the autoimmunity has paid off.

Does your high IL-10 mean you're still fighting infections?

sometexan84

Does your high IL-10 mean you're still fighting infections?
I can't definitively say. It's possible I'm still fighting EBV, Enterovirus, Chlamydia Pneumoniae, or any combination of those.

I've been lowering my EA IgG levels for EBV for 7 months. But it'll be months before it's back in normal range.

Still waiting on my latest ARUP results to see my current Enterovirus status. But I doubt it will show that I've completely gotten rid of all of those.

I still don't have proof that I don't have an active Chlamydia Pneumoniae infection. The IgG half life is kind of long, so it only makes sense to retest C. Pneumoniae titers like every 3 months.

Plus I just found out my negative Lyme test might have been wrong. So there's that possibility.

Other potential infections I haven't tested for but correlate w/ my condition include:
  • Parasite Infection - Plasmodium falciparum
  • Toxoplasma gondii
  • Coxiella burnetii (Q fever)
  • Zika virus (ZIKV)
  • Blastocystis hominis (another parasite common in those with both EBV and Hashimoto's)

bread.

Yes, it will be more difficult to fight viruses. You might look at this:

https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2377-11-95

My doctor ran a test for NK cell function, which was very low (and typical for PwME). He also ran a PCR test for EBV, which was positive. He then put me on Valcyte, after acyclovir, artesunate, vitamin C, UVBI, and herbals did nothing for it. He recently also put me on thymosin alpha 1 injections to boost T cell production.

You might also look into Immunoglobulins with subclasses. Many of us are low in either total IgG or one or more subclasses of B cells, antibodies which fight viral infections.

You might try a Diagnostics Solutions CytoDX test to look at your cytokines if you're interested. I thought I'd be Th2 shifted, but turned out I was Th1 shifted so after dealing with my infections, we have been dealing with the multiple types of autoimmunity they triggered, which is a lot more difficult.

EBV can trigger all kinds of nasty autoimmunity, including MS, and cancer, so well worth getting it under control before further bad things happen.

Hey!

I have too low to low LYMPHOCYTES and CD8 LYMPHOPENIA as well.

Did Thymosin Alpha help you? How much do you take and in what form?

Thank you!

Christoph

bread.

I can't definitively say. It's possible I'm still fighting EBV, Enterovirus, Chlamydia Pneumoniae, or any combination of those.

I've been lowering my EA IgG levels for EBV for 7 months. But it'll be months before it's back in normal range.

Still waiting on my latest ARUP results to see my current Enterovirus status. But I doubt it will show that I've completely gotten rid of all of those.

I still don't have proof that I don't have an active Chlamydia Pneumoniae infection. The IgG half life is kind of long, so it only makes sense to retest C. Pneumoniae titers like every 3 months.

Plus I just found out my negative Lyme test might have been wrong. So there's that possibility.

Other potential infections I haven't tested for but correlate w/ my condition include:
  • Parasite Infection - Plasmodium falciparum
  • Toxoplasma gondii
  • Coxiella burnetii (Q fever)
  • Zika virus (ZIKV)
  • Blastocystis hominis (another parasite common in those with both EBV and Hashimoto's)
What does your treatment look like?