• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptom / medications logging chart help

cb2

Hi
I am needing to create a log or chart that shows different symptoms and relation to "activity" and medications and sleep. I am hoping to put this in excel. I was writing things by hand in a calendar but I can no longer make any sense of it . And it would be great to have a graph to see the relation of things.

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
thank you

Rufous McKinney

I am needing to create a log or chart that shows

Me too!! I need to do better at tracking. If something could get generally set up in Excel, then one could customize the particular symptoms of greatest concern to particular individuals. That all could be very helpful.
Tracking what we ate: that gets quickly rather long and detailed/ hummmm.

Surely somebody has done this for: tracking foods for like food allergy issues.

Rufous McKinney

Surely somebody has done this for: tracking foods for like food allergy issues

So here I excerpted some hints for a food log, in a notebook or PDA, which wants alot of detail, and you notate introducing a new food *; and note symptoms in response also.

Let me see what else might be out there.

How to Start a Food Log
  1. Choose a format for your food log that will work for your lifestyle. If you regularly use a PDA or a planner, I recommend using it to keep your log; otherwise, a pocket-sized notebook is ideal for your food log.
  2. If you eat at regular meal times, you may choose to preset your pages with places to write down the foods you eat and the regular times that you eat them. Be sure to leave the facing pages blank in a paper log.
  3. Each time you eat, mark down the time and write down every food you eat, including brand names (for future investigation), beverages, and frying oils. Note any garnishes, toppings, or additives. The goal is to be as complete as possible. Do update immediately after eating; this is one of those tasks that is easiest to do directly after each meal.
  4. If you experience symptoms, on the page facing your most recent meal (or immediately after the most recent meal in your PDA), write down a summary of your symptoms. While your physician is in the best position to determine whether the most recent meal (or, indeed, any food) actually caused the symptoms, this is a good way to keep the log organized.

Rufous McKinney

Each time you eat, mark down the time

Recently I've noticed that the timing of when I eat certain types of foods is starting to matter for some reason. So in my case I want to note my irregularities: like that I ate two spoons of almond butter after I had had dinner and had a bad IBS reaction to that, whereas eating the almond butter in the morning was ok. I avoid raw foods especially at nite and can notice that also. Food temperstures never used to matter and now do. Cold food is: not performing well.

cb2

I use my fitness pal to track my food.. I use the free version. it has been great! I can figure out how to get the symptoms to list on an excel chart with the days. but not sure how to add it AM/ PM medications etc..
here is a link to my fitness pal. for free food logggin https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

cb2

here is my excel sheet so far.. an then you just insert a graph.. tried to insert it but the file is an XLSX says it isn't allowed. i wonder how i can share it?

Rufous McKinney

here is a link to my fitness pal. for free food logggin

Thanks! will check that out. I used to be a clever bureaucrat and could possible setup an Excel thing, but that all sounds rather exhausting at the moment. Excel enables you to : add columes, data, math. So its for doing something more with the info than- just noting it. So has to be quantitative somehow or scored or ranked so you could : like maybe moving the body is a category, with define values of 1-10. So I walked around the block and would note: walk- value 2. Three days of value 2 became: A level 4 Crash.
Crash duration in : Days. Criteria for noting crash improving, would need to be defined.

Kaching, need PHD!!

cb2

yes. thank you. I made an excel graph for steps over the past few years and it def shows a downward trend. now i am taking so many different meds and suppliments those are things I want to track and how / if they are effecting me. good brainstorming!

pamojja

now i am taking so many different meds and suppliments those are things I want to track and how / if they are effecting me. good brainstorming!

I've nothing too elaborate. Just an excel where I recorded my comprehensive supplement intake over 10 years, a second one for recording all lab results (blood, urine, hair), including some basics, like BP, walking distance ability, temperature. Beside a yearly diary, where I record other changes during the year. After 3 years I quit analyzing my food-intake for macro and micro-nutrients.

Which sometimes proves very helpful, especially when coming across studies which claim certain associations. Like for example this recently: Aged garlic extract supplemented with B vitamins, folic acid and l-arginine retards the progression of subclinical atherosclerosis: A randomized clinical trial. Which also claims aged garlic extract would raise Lp(a). Just had to check my records to see if that association would hold up in my case:

Code:
year Lp(a) mg_Kyolic

2009   57    200
2010   47    690
2011   59    870
2012   55    830
2013   43    790
2014   47    420
2015   35    180
2016   51    620
2017   45    820
2018   58   1140

And could see with the lowest intake of aged garlic indeed the lowest Lp(a) for a whole year in my testing history.

Or for example testosterone vs. 25(OH)D:

Code:
testosterone vs. 25(OH)D
year: ng/dl ng/ml

2010: 399 - 63
2011: 220 - 43
2012: 262 - 62
2013: 320 - 84
2014: 340 - 50
2015: 351 - 78
2016: 468 - 72
2017: 631 - 101
2018: 681 - 93

Rufous McKinney

Probably do need to break this down into subcategories for tracking, as it will likely just otherwise get real complicated.

Amazing you have numbers for things. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and likely will have no new numbers to show off.