• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements that can help get you back to part time work?

Wolfcub

It seems supplements work differently for each one of us.

I for instance did try Co-q10 and Acetyl L Carnitine as well as a half tablet of B12 daily and vitamin C, as well as B complex low dose, Vitamin D3 400iu daily (which is quite a low dose but better than you get in an average multi vitamin and mineral.)
I have also tried chelated Magnesium, small doses every two hours.

I think the D3 helped me. I think the B12 helped possibly, though I am not sure. I came off the B12 a week or more ago, and am weighing up any differences at the moment. I have had some fleeting neuropathic pain since stopping it, so am deciding if that is coincidence, or related to stopping the B12.

Otherwise the other supplements made no difference. Yet occasionally I would feel a little boost from 2000mg Vit C if I was crashing.

L Carnitine possibly messed slightly with my sleep (frequent wakenings) So I stopped that for the moment. I hadn't taken it long enough to notice any energy improvements.

I am sure others here will be able to recommend supplements which have helped them.
I haven't noticed much change on mine.

Landscaping is really hard work. If you are mild, you might be okay on some light exercise daily. I know I am okay with that -though on some days I am not and have to admit it.
General maintenance gardening might be easier and not force your body too hard. (pruning trees/lawn work/strimming (weed-whacking) etc
Even I think I could probably cope with that work, doing it part time. But there are days when I couldn't.
But (and I am sure I am older than you, in my late 60s) I have always been used to hard physical work all my life, and right up to the onset of ME/CFS early last year...yet even though fairly mild I think, wouldn't test out doing full or even part-time landscape gardening.

It is so important to not push the body into a crash. We always bounce back.....until we don't any more, and there have been cases of some people who were moderate pushing so hard they became severe. We have a whole new life to live, a whole new set of ways to get used to.
I hope I don't sound negative. I am sure I do....I am sorry.

(later edit)...BUT...a thought came to mind. Management of a team of landscape gardeners/forming a landscaping company etc might be an option? Nobody is asking you to carry so many rocks that way...lol and you can still work creatively?

Last edited:

geraldt52

If you spend some time on PR you'll see how many supplements people are taking, so, if supplements could get anyone back to work everyone here would be working three jobs. I'd recommend saving the money you were thinking of spending on supplements and not think of working so much...

Dechi

No supplement would get me back to work, part-time or not, sorry. Meds aren’t working either. Landscaping and such would surely make me very ill rapidly.

Everyone is different but please be careful.

I went through a hard time a few years back after a kidney infection which knocked me out for 6 months post. I think it was a mixture of the intensity of the infection and the horrible antibiotics I was on. I immediately became nauseated, dizzy, fell asleep anywhere and everywhere and I couldn’t work for 6 months. I cut out all sugars and simple carbs and supplemented with b-complex (vera’s formula which you can get from iHerb) and vitamin C 2000 per day.
I’m still on this mix but I’ve added CoQ10 and antioxidants - I’m certain it’s the antioxidants from Bioceuticals which have made the biggest impact.

Hd-x

I tried so many supplements that I cant count - at last I would say, over 95% from all those supplements and meds, did just nothing, some stuff just worsens symptoms. Only few supplements worked for me that improve mitochondrial functions/ATP production, but I have to take horiffic amounts from such supplements. Since I am doing so, I am able to do 2h work daily, obvisously if I would push myself hard - I could do perhaps a litte bit longer.
Nevertheless, I am not trying to push things as hard as I can - because it would not give any benefits in the long term and with some bad luck it just worsens ME/CFS.

I understand yours wish to part time work, but there is no magic bullet.
Some ppl. help this, other ppl didnt help this but other things -or with really bad luck, just nothing helps.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I once did landscaping for two months, that was fun after all. We had green roofs included!

In my illness now there seem to be two interventions to be the core. Of course I don´t know if it will apply to anyone else. It´s two metals: I need to avoid manganese, I do this since four years now with a slow but altogether steady success), and it appears that I need to take in zinc, which I already did sometimes since maybe two years, but the thing is, that I didn´t focus on that. Zinc is turning out to be the main thing on the positive side, probably accompanied by other things, some B´s (in my case especially B2) and others not or so. I take it after meals, or a retarding supplement.

A pretty complicate procedure that brings relief (and even fun) about to me is sip after sip:
VitC (300mg) - juice from a small lemon - a drop of vinegar -- maybe 566 IU VitD - maybe black tea.
each in ca 0.35-0.4l water (not the black tea of course). edit: and using a straw.

Last edited:
For me some supplements did work, but not always. Vitamin c and magnesium and zinc are sometimes working.
At the moment i'am only using magnesium oil. This really works for me. As long as i eat healthy the magnesium is the only thing i need every now and then.