• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement bad for thyroid

Nanni

Two important discoveries. I had the organic acid test done. One recommendation was for acetyl l- carnitine. I have heard so many good things about it i started taking it but felt worse after awhile. Apparently it interferes with thyroid medication. I know it’s an impossible task but i wish we had a way of knowing these kinds of interactions. Also I just got a letter from Walgreens that my Thyroid ND was “voluntarily” recalled because it was up to 110% stronger than it should be. Before I got this information I was having intense anxiety especially affecting my stomach, like the worst case of butterflies or something. We really are on our own so much of the time. Thank goodness we have each other.

Wishful

Apparently it interferes with thyroid medication.

Carnitine does more than that, so it's hard to know why something makes you feel better or worse. If you had several other supplements that made you feel worse in the same way, and they all were known to 'interfere with thyroid medication', then you could be fairly sure about it. Otherwise it could be affecting fatty acid transport and metabolism, or some other mechanism.

For T4, I'm not sure if a 10% increase would have a noticeable effect. When I was experimenting with T4, I think I needed triple the dosage to notice a difference (felt a bit jittery).

YippeeKi YOW !!

For T4, I'm not sure if a 10% increase would have a noticeable effect. When I was experimenting with T4, I think I needed triple the dosage to notice a difference (felt a bit jittery).
@Nanni
Depends on how sensitive your system is. We're all different, which is why applying the success others have had with a supp or medication can be misleading and in some cases, disastrous ....