• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study Claims Inflammation in Brain, il6, cause muscle weakness

Florida Guy

This study shows that the brain releases inflammatory compounds when attacked by virus or bacteria. Among them, they single out interleukin 6 as a substance that causes the mitochondria to lose some of their function and this produces weakness and fatigue. This is likely an important part of the puzzle but keep in mind, its not likely to lead to an easy cure. Just stop the il6 and get better sounds easy but may be more complicated than it sounds

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciimmunol.adm7908

Neuroinflammation can cause symptoms outside of the central nervous system (CNS), including muscle pain and fatigue, yet how inflammatory signals in the brain are communicated to muscle remains to be determined. Using multiple models of CNS stress in fruit flies, Yang et al. identified that reactive oxygen species accumulation in the brain promoted expression of Upd3, a Drosophila ortholog of interleukin-6 (IL-6). IL-6 activated JAK-STAT signaling in skeletal muscle, resulting in mitochondrial dysfunction–impaired motor function. This axis was also activated in mice after CNS stress and evident in humans with neuroinflammation. This work identifies a conserved brain-to-muscle signaling axis that regulates muscle performance, which may be a promising therapeutic target.

andyguitar

Just stop the il6 and get better sounds easy but may be more complicated than it sounds
The Monoclonal antibodies Tocilizumab and Sarilumab are 2 drugs used to block IL 6 and have been used to treat severe Covid infections. Also used to treat RA. I dont recall them being tried for Long Covid. Anyone seen any thing about their use for LC or me/cfs?

Violeta

Astragalus can downregulate IL-6

Identifying the Anti-inflammatory Effects of Astragalus Polysaccharides in Anti-N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Encephalitis: Network Pharmacology and Experimental Validation​

Results: APS significantly ameliorated cognitive impairment and reduced susceptibility to PTZinduced seizures in mice with anti-NMDAR encephalitis, confirming the beneficial effect of astragalus on anti-NMDAR encephalitis. Seventeen intersecting genes were identified between APS and anti- NMDAR encephalitis. GO and KEGG analyses revealed the characteristics of the intersecting gene networks. STRING interaction in the PPI network was applied to find crucial molecules. The results of molecular docking suggested that astragalus may regulate interleukin-1β (IL-1β), tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) as potential targets in anti-NMDAR encephalitis. Furthermore, the levels of IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α detected by ELISA in anti-NMDAR encephalitis mice were significantly downregulated in response to the administration of APS.

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cchts/2024/00000027/00000007/art00008

Faith2007

After I had genetics testing done, which showed I made too much IL-6, I was put on CytoCalm6 to reduce IL-6. When I choose to take it, I immediately notice a difference in being able to breathe much better through my nose, although I make too much histamine as well. I do take allergy medicine and something to reduce histamine, so this effect goes beyond that with CytoCalm6. The effects don't last longer than the day I take it.

I'm posting a link so you can see the ingredients list, for those of you who are interested.

I was first put on this brand by the guy who interpreted my genetic test results:
https://charnyhealing.com/products/cytocalm-6-functional-genomic-nutrition?variant=39843655090368

And then I switched to the brand put out by Holtorf Medical Group/HoltraCeuticals that treats my CFIDS, who recommended the person who did my genetics testing. The ingredients list is exactly the same, but can only be ordered through Holtorf Medical Group. It isn't listed on the HoltraCeuticals site.

Mary

Moderator Resource
This study shows that the brain releases inflammatory compounds when attacked by virus or bacteria. Among them, they single out interleukin 6 as a substance that causes the mitochondria to lose some of their function and this produces weakness and fatigue.
Astragalus can downregulate IL-6
APS significantly ameliorated cognitive impairment and reduced susceptibility to PTZinduced seizures in mice with anti-NMDAR encephalitis, confirming the beneficial effect of astragalus on anti-NMDAR encephalitis.

So after reading the above, I started taking astragalus. I'd been fighting an unknown bug for several weeks. Chief symptoms were very mild congestion, barely enough to blow my nose once in awhile, and severe fatigue. Also I started getting night sweats. The fatigue kept me from functioning and was often as bad as being crashed. I was taking andrographis which is usually effective for me, also took grapefruit seed extract and colloidal silver, but I was stuck - I was not getting better and didn't know what to do. Until I read the above and started the astragalus, and within a few days started getting better and the biggest thing was my energy came back!

I can't help but wonder if that severe fatigue was caused by IL-6 . . .

ETA: It hasn't done anything for my ME/CFS, still crash like clockwork if I overdo, but I had gotten to the point where I could barely do anything due to that fatigue even when not crashed.

Violeta

So after reading the above, I started taking astragalus. I'd been fighting an unknown bug for several weeks. Chief symptoms were very mild congestion, barely enough to blow my nose once in awhile, and severe fatigue. Also I started getting night sweats. The fatigue kept me from functioning and was often as bad as being crashed. I was taking andrographis which is usually effective for me, also took grapefruit seed extract and colloidal silver, but I was stuck - I was not getting better and didn't know what to do. Until I read the above and started the astragalus, and within a few days started getting better and the biggest thing was my energy came back!

I can't help but wonder if that severe fatigue was caused by IL-6 . . .

ETA: It hasn't done anything for my ME/CFS, still crash like clockwork if I overdo, but I had gotten to the point where I could barely do anything due to that fatigue even when not crashed
Good news, Mary! I was getting consistent with the astragalus, also taking olive leaf extract. The day after I started was very bad, but I kept getting better. We had a couple of tough days from losing a pet, loss of sleep, fatigue much worse, and so I haven't been consistent with the astragalus and maybe that's why I am having a hard time.

It really helps me to read reports of people doing well on stuff, it helps me get back on track.

Take care, everybody.

Florida Guy

Astragalus sounds like a good one to try. I believe I have some in my fridge. Another one that may help is L-thp (L-Tetrahydropalmatine). Its something I used to use to help sleep and it is good for that. Its also analgesic, it reduces pain. Its said to reduce levels of il6 so it might help more than just sleep and pain. I plan to start taking it again. I have lots of goodies from years ago that I tried

some links

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001448862100217X
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26806555/

JES

Astragalus is an interesting one. On one hand it's supposed to reduce IL-6, but is also used to stimulate the immune system to reduce colds and there are other studies indicating it could also increase IL-6. The response I had was more like taking an immune stimulant i.e. it worsened my brain fog, fatigue and neuropathy at least short-term, which is how I respond to most immune stimulating supplements.

Violeta

Another product that reduces IL-6 and the activated JAK-STAT signaling in skeletal muscle is cannabidiol.
It may be helpful for those who feel worse when taking something that stimulates the immune system.

"The immune-suppressive effects of cannabidiol (CBD) are attributed to the modulationof essential immunological signaling pathways and receptors."

Cannabidiol as a Novel Therapeutic for ImmuneModulation

https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10206894
The use of CBD, to modulate of JAK/STAT is one novelapproach towards immunosuppression. Transcriptomicprofiles of CBD-treated human Gingival MesenchymalStem Cells (hGMSCs) revealed down-regulation of JAK/STAT pathways, particularly complete down-regulation ofInterleukin-6 (IL-6), a potent but not exclusive activator ofJAK/STAT3 signaling.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Astragalus sounds like a good one to try. I believe I have some in my fridge. Another one that may help is L-thp (L-Tetrahydropalmatine). Its something I used to use to help sleep and it is good for that. Its also analgesic, it reduces pain. Its said to reduce levels of il6 so it might help more than just sleep and pain. I plan to start taking it again. I have lots of goodies from years ago that I tried

some links

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001448862100217X
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26806555/

@Florida Guy - I plan to give the L-thp a try, so thank you - I've never heard of that one before. I've never used meth but like most ME/CFS sufferers I believe my sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive. I've struggled with insomnia for years. I used a benzo (lorazepam) for 11 years for sleep and then got off of it when finally realized it was a dead end street, but wish badly I could use it again! (which I won't)

Florida Guy

L-thp is extracted from the corydalis plant. It has several grades, there is the simple extract which might be yellow or brownish. This is the weakest form and you might need a tsp full or more. That might be advertised as 2x 5x, 10x indicating the concentration. As you get to the higher concentration like 20x 40x its a little purer and you don't need as much. The highest grade which is what I use is crystal. This might be marketed as 100x or 200x, its in the form of pale crystals. The label says 98% pure and I use a very tiny spoon it might be 1/24 tsp, not sure. You don't want to take a whole tsp or more because that might knock you out, not a good idea.

I assume it will give tolerance if used too much. It helps relax, helps anxiety and sleep. I gave it to someone I knew who had MS and she said it made a huge difference and what the doc gave her was not much good

MonkeyMan

I had a multiplex cytokine assay performed, and my IL-1 and IL-6 levels were off the charts. I've tried so many herbal remedies to reduce inflammation that I've lost count (including astragalus, mentioned above, which just made me feel worse). I'm wondering if something like Actemra (tocilizumab) might be worth trying just to see what effect it may have. Or am I just asking for trouble? Finding an MD who would prescribe it would be almost impossible, I imagine.

hapl808

Tried astragalus again recently - temporary improvement for a few days, then my immune system just went overactive and into a bad crash. Felt like all my allergies and bad reactions were ramped up in exchange for a bit more energy.

Back