• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange nighttime burning smell on hand

Helllloo okay I know this one sounds very strange. I’ve ruled out “phantom smell” because it is localized to one hand. It started in the thumb/index finger and has progressed to the whole hand, which smells like sausages, but only at night. The smell went away when I had meningitis and is back now.

Any ideas? I’m trying to avoid costly/traumatic neurological testing like MRIs. Could it be a detox smell or an infection smell?

Thanks!

MTpockets

I don't really have any info for you. But if it makes you feel any better,I often have strange smells coming off my skin during or right after a crash of some kind. The most common one is burned rubber. I have also smelled like vanilla or maple. Sometimes I smell like bleach. I know it's not my sense of smell since other people smell it too. I chalk it up to broken metabolism since nothing has come of it yet.

Super helpful: my left hand is slightly warmer than the right. It is also a different shade. I’m guessing something more along the lines of pre thoracic outlet syndrome (I have kyphosis) plus some metabobolic thing. Argh. Flaming hand syndrome! I think I will put essential oils on it at night so it’s not so distracting. Thanks, everyone.