• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SSA Disability Update Form?

acer2000

Has anyone filled out the SSA 455 disability update form for SSDI lately? I have a diagnosis of CFS and got my form recently and I am wondering if anyone has tips?

Zebra

@SnappingTurtle : thank you for contributing such a great resource! Yesterday, I did a practice draft of the form, but now I will re-read this website more carefully before finalizing and submitting. Thanks!

@acer2000: Hello! I just wanted to say that I am also required to complete that SSDI from at this time. In addition to the great information provided by Snapping Turtle, I have one more tip to add.

My form is asking for information from Summer 2022 through present. Just like the SSA and other long-term disability providers "cherry pick" which medical records they review and consider in their determination to continue benefits, I have learned to do the same. So yesterday I spent some time going through my DayPlaners and medical records to select the 3 most *compelling* recent office visits rather than just, literally, the 3 last office visits I've had. Hope that makes sense and is helpful to you!

Last edited:

acer2000

@SnappingTurtle : thank you for contributing such a great resource! Yesterday, I did a practice draft of the form, but now I will re-read this website more carefully before finalizing and submitting. Thanks!

@acer2000: Hello! I just wanted to say that I am also required to complete that SSDI from at this time. In addition to the great information provided by Snapping Turtle, I have one more tip to add.

My form is asking for information from Summer 2022 through present. Just like the SSA and other long-term disability providers "cherry pick" which medical records they review and consider in their determination to continue benefits, I have learned to do the same. So yesterday I spent some time going through my DayPlaners and medical records to select the 3 most *compelling* recent office visits rather than just, literally, the 3 last office visits I've had. Hope that makes sense and is helpful to you!

I was going to ask about this. Question 5 just says "3 most recent visits". But in my case my most recent 3 visits weren't to do with CFS, but other things. I have to go back further in the 2 year period to list 3 CFS appointments. Did you read guidance on this or talk to SSA? My first instinct was to list the 3 CFS visits during that period, but maybe for some reason they want the 3 most recent Drs appts if they are just for random things? Also did you send in the paper form or do the online one?

Last edited:

Zebra

Hi, @acer2000

I ended up doing the online form, as the mail service in my city is iffy and I wanted to expedite delivery.

I was NOT able to print out a copy of the online form, which strikes me as very odd, so I filled out the paper form for my personal records.

I did not discuss the "three most recent visits" section with anyone at the SSA. For better, or worse, I trusted my gut.

Like you, if I included my last 3 trips to the doctor, it would include such things as a trip to the ENT for sinusitis, which isn't very compelling.

So, I chose the 3 most recent visits relevant to the diagnoses that got me approved in the first place.

Best of luck to you (and me)!

acer2000

I ended up doing the online form. I was able to download the PDF of the completed form and save it. I was worried about this because some posts online mentioned trouble with this. Hopefully it worked OK. I guess I will find out!

Back