• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SNP interpretation advice. MTR/MTRR, BHMT, SHMT, AHCY, COMT, CBS, VDR and MOA:A

Good day all

I finally received my DNA Methylation results from Doctor's Data.

It mostly confirmed what was already suspected during my trial and error in the last 2 years trying to get better but with some extra surprises, which I am not quite sure what to make of and I am hoping the fine community of PR can give me some clarification.

My results:
DNA Methylation Pathway Profile Results.png

I know what most of the above SNPs do but I am lacking the big picture and how they interact with each other in context.

For example, I was lead to believe with a CBS mutation, I would have excessively high urine sulphate levels which would take months of low sulfur dieting to lower, but when I tried the CBS diet, within the week my urine sulphate was not even registering it was so low. It wasn't even that high to begin with, fluctuating between 800-1200 on/off, but I definitely have a problem tolerating any form of sulphur. Sulphur foods, sulphate and B1/Taurine. Then while reading both Heartfixer and @caledonia amazingly well put together Interpretation Guide(thank you for that), it seems CBS and AHCY can combo together and AHCY actually limits the amount of Homocysteine thus preventing a lot from even going down CBS to begin with

Then another exmaple is to bypass MTR/MTRR SNPs, methyl is recommended unless you have COMT issues and CBS also, it seems too, so 2 reasons to avoid Methyl donors, so the recommended route is using shortcuts like SHMT and BHMT, but what if BOTH of those are +/+? Where do you go from there? Which route do I take?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Just for more clarification: I have read @caledonia interpretation guide, so I know I have to work on my gut at the same time I do CBS and SHMT. I will be getting a stool analysis next and a heavy metal analysis after that, but hoping for some general advice based on the interactions of the SNPs only. The CBS diet always produces quick results for me, so I don't have to wait months for the urine sulphate to drain, before I start working on the methylation cycle.

At the moment, I am histmaine intolerant and fumes of all sorts trigger me. An H1 antihistamine gives me some relief, so I know some of my symptoms stem from histamine, which in context makes sense because of lack of Methylation working, so I am hoping to know how to get that working in the mean time. I know I can't tolerate any methyl supplements, which is backed up by COMT/VDR and CBS, so what are my options to bypass MTR/MTRR, SHMT and BHMT?

Last edited: