• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant association of DNA variants with self-reported ME/CFS (Chris Ponting blog)

Simon

New blog at ME/CFS Research Review

Guest blog by Professor Chris Ponting and colleagues.

Summary
A new analysis using data from UK Biobank indicates that one version of a particular gene increases the risk of ME/CFS in women. The gene codes for a transporter protein in the mitochondrial membrane and plays a critical role in the urea cycle, which is important for removing ammonia from the body. Reduced levels of the transporter protein, which are expected for the gene variant associated with ME/CFS, are likely to impair mitochondrial function. If replicated later, this finding would provide the first evidence that a person’s risk for ME/CFS is caused by changes to mitochondrial function.

Background
On June 11 2018 we posted a blog describing an analysis of the UK Biobank’s data, drawn from half-a-million individuals from around the UK. The data implied that there is a genetic contribution to an individual’s risk of ME/CFS but it did not provide strong evidence that change in any one section of DNA explained this risk.

We are blogging again because a new analysis has revealed a promising finding.

This new analysis is again of the UK Biobank data and has been posted by Ben Neale’s lab. After discarding data that they considered lower quality, they were left with data from 194,174 females and 167,020 males and kindly made their results freely available to all.

Female-only GWAS
Considering males and females together they identified no specific region of the human genome whose DNA variants were significantly associated with self-reported CFS/ME. (One variant, rs148723539, is possibly indicated [p = 2.3x10-9] but this is not supported by adjacent variants.)

However, the female-only analysis revealed a single region, on chromosome 13. Ten DNA variants (single nucleotide variants, SNVs) were significantly associated [SNVs with minor allele frequency <0.001 or that were "low confidence” were filtered out] using a probability threshold of p < 5x10-8.

These 10 SNVs are inherited down the generations together (they are in “linkage disequilibrium” [LD]) and so this looks like just one association, rather than ten different ones. The 10 SNVs all lie in a 51,000 base region that surrounds the SLC25A15 gene (Figure 1 below).
orntgwasres.png

Their conclusion is that DNA variation in this part of the genome slightly changes a woman’s risk of having a ME/CFS diagnosis. This must mean that one or more DNA differences in this part of the genome cause this risk change. But because all 10 differences are inherited together, it is not clear which one or ones are causing the increase in disease risk. Pinning down the causal DNA changes will require detailed experimental research.

Ornithine Transporter type 1
Figure 1 shows that the GWAS genetic associations are for DNA differences that lie in-or-around a particular gene called SLC25A15.

So what do we know about SLC25A15? Interestingly, it encodes a protein called Ornithine Transporter type 1 (ORNT1). This transports ornithine (as well as lysine and arginine) across the inner membrane of mitochondria to the mitochondrial matrix.
Ornithase RT1.png

Ornithine is an amino acid (but not incorporated into proteins) that plays a role in the urea cycle. This cycle plays an essential part in removing ammonia from the body (see point iv below).

This analysis predicts that if you have a letter G at this position then (Figure 2):

(i) if you are female, then you have a greater risk of ME/CFS;

(ii) many of your cells (for example in the heart or hippocampus, but not in muscle or liver) would tend to produce less ORNT1 RNA and less ORNT1 protein; and,

(iii) if so, then ornithine would build up in these cells and mitochondrial function overall would be impaired; and,

(iv) ammonia would accumulate in the blood.

... read the full blog

Learner1

Interesting theory.

Weirdly, after trying many different natural substances (magnesium, GABA, theanine, etc.) what finally helped me sleep through the night was citrulline, and once that helped, my doctor had me try ornithine, which worked even better.

Looking at my labs, both citrulline and ornithine had been low.

(c) Nevertheless, Armstrong et al. (2012) found the opposite, a significant reduction of ornithine (P<0.05) in the blood of CFS samples.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Very interesting. I write straight away:

If I am remembering right
it´s the arginase which removes ammonia, and here ornithine is used too, also as an immediate product, that will get (partly) recycled to arginine.
And then it´s manganese that is needed as cofactor for the enzyme.
If there is something not working well, released manganese might be not used here and will affect other systems, and there should be easiliy a very important equilibrium with the iNOS (which is eg found in microglia, cells that account for 10% of all brain cells). iNOS is changed by manganese concentrations. (Arginase and iNOS, both uses beside manganese arginine.)

I am slowly improving
from diminishing manganese intake (-> iNOS gene expression), and
dimishing fat/sugar (-> AChE long term change). ACh is high under NO, and (shown for the spinal cord) vice versa.

I tell you, it might be easily the solution.

Last edited:

Murph

:)
Nice research. I'm not used to things coming out outside the journals, and I want more of it!!

Looks like a very slight association though. I'm really more in the market for an earth-shattering monolithic finding that cures all of us. If you could bring us one of those please Simon.

;)

S-VV

Well, I found this on Wikipedia after trying to go to sleep for three hours and failing miserably:

"Sleep inversion is a symptom of elevated blood ammonia levels" from the article on Circadian Rythm inversion.

I guess that explains a lot

RWP (Rest without Peace)

My wife's cancer doctor, in her 1999 book, says (p. 68), " . . . bacteria found in common dirt must not be allowed to enter with food and invade you. They make amines that remove the 'brakes' on cell division. They also make ammonia. Ammonia is extremely toxic to living cells, giving you fatigue and illness besides. Some bacteria make growth factors and 'cancer antigens' . . ."

In another location (1993 book,, p.31), Dr. Clark explains why she gave ornithine as a sleep aid, "Parasites produce a great deal of ammonia as their waste product. Ammonia is their equivalent of urine and is set free in our bodies by parasites in great amounts. Ammonia is very toxic, especially to the brain [the brain lacks the enzyme, ornithine carbamyl-transferase, which is essential for making ammonia harmless by changing it into urea]. I believe this causes insomnia and other sleep problems at bedtime and anxiety by day."

This autism-related webpage discusses many issues related to bacteria and ammonia detoxification. I just found it recently: http://www.autismweb2.com/high-blood-ammonia/

RWP + PWR

RWP (Rest without Peace)

So, I guess what this means is that if you have the genetic defect, you are less able to use ornithine and less able to detoxify ammonia. This would therefore make you less able to fight bacteria and parasites due to being unable to deal with their waste product.

RWP