• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shoemaker GENIE test

Hoosierfans

Has anyone utilized this test? My CIRS doc is VERY impressed with it and has had several patients who have benefitted because it identifies exactly what genes are ”turned on” and thus causing symptoms / fatigue issues....and apparently the test connects those genes to particular pathogens, or (if not pathogens) errors / issues in energy production (mito function etc.). And therefore therapy can be targeted to what is ACTUALLY the cause of a patient’s inflammation.

Maybe someone better versed in the science can explain it as its over my head!
https://www.survivingmold.com/shoem...genie-in-clinical-management-of-cirs-patients

junkcrap50

it identifies exactly what genes are ”turned on” and thus causing symptoms / fatigue issues....and apparently the test connects those genes to particular pathogens, or (if not pathogens) errors / issues in energy production (mito function etc.). And therefore therapy can be targeted to what is ACTUALLY the cause of a patient’s inflammation.
That all sounds too good to be true. I'm doubtful they could attribute any of it to any particular genes. If so, they should publish their research.

Edit: Reading more about it. Sounds interesting, but not a lot of treatment options based on the results.

Last edited:
Has anyone utilized this test? My CIRS doc is VERY impressed with it and has had several patients who have benefitted because it identifies exactly what genes are ”turned on” and thus causing symptoms / fatigue issues....and apparently the test connects those genes to particular pathogens, or (if not pathogens) errors / issues in energy production (mito function etc.). And therefore therapy can be targeted to what is ACTUALLY the cause of a patient’s inflammation.

Maybe someone better versed in the science can explain it as its over my head!
https://www.survivingmold.com/shoem...genie-in-clinical-management-of-cirs-patients

I haven't got my results yet, but after years of lyme and mold treatment not making a dent in my symptoms, I am hoping this will get us on the right path. Did you ever end up doing the test?

Hoosierfans

Funny you should respond! I got my results yesterday! My doc with talk w Dr Shoemaker next week to get the full interpretation.

Hoosierfans

And you as well! I have a list of diagnoses — lyme, mold, POTS, mast cell, vestibular migraine / dizziness, hypotension, anemia, CFS. Like you, no treatments have made a dent so far so I am really hopeful that the GENIE will tell us what to target. 👍🏻

And you as well! I have a list of diagnoses — lyme, mold, POTS, mast cell, vestibular migraine / dizziness, hypotension, anemia, CFS. Like you, no treatments have made a dent so far so I am really hopeful that the GENIE will tell us what to target. 👍🏻

How is your functioning? Are you bedridden?

I got my GENIE results back. What did yours show?

Hoosierfans

Oooh what did it say?

Mine was no lyme, no mold / mycotoxins. Very strong for acetomycetes as well as some other mystery viral or bacteria infection (which we need to do more testing for).

And, super important, my cells are not using glucose — it cannot get into my cells. So my mitochondria are suffering and not making ATP.

I need to install special filters for the Aceto and then work up on VIP / CSM. We need to determine the mystery infection (if we can). And for my mitos I need to go low carb / keto and will be starting NAD daily ahots.