• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

severe ME being diabetic

I had ME for 17 years already. I am 39 now. I am severe- moderate. This means: 23 hours in bed.
I have now diabetes type 2 ( found out now but i guess i was already in 2018) , i dont tolerate metformine and i read this makes ME worse - i cant exercise
i already eat no sugar and as low as i can, so i dont know how can i reverse this condition ?
Doctors gaslight me and germany health care is terrible, i found out after 4 years where my sugar levels where too high but they overlooked at it ( as usual, i think they overlook everything till you are dead, my fiance had a stroke and they also overlooked it and he is struggling to find a cardiologist who gies him an appointment...)
is somebody here also having diabetes and how do you manage this condition, when you cant exercise?

pamojja

i dont tolerate metformine

Can you tolerate ascorbic acid? Maybe mixed with sodium asorbate to make it pH-neutral at high enough mega doses? In such high doses it lowers HbA1c just as much as Metformin:

Glycohaemoglobin and ascorbic acid

Copplestone et al1 (http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/115-1157/25/) identified misleading glycohaemoglobin (GHb) results due to a haemoglobin variant (Hb D Punjab) and listed a number of other possible causes for such false results (ie, haemolytic anaemia, uraemia, lead poisoning, alcoholism, high-dose salicylates and hereditary persistence of foetal haemoglobin).

We have observed a significant "false" lowering of GHb in animals and humans supplementing ascorbic acid (AA) at multigram levels. Mice receiving ~7.5 mg/d (equivalent to > 10 g/day in a 70 kg human) exhibited no decrease in plasma glucose, but a 23% reduction in GHb.2 In humans, supplementation of AA for several months did not lower fasting plasma glucose.3,4 We studied 139 consecutive consenting non-diabetic patients in an oncology clinic. The patients had been encouraged as part of their treatment to supplement AA. Self-reported daily intake varied from 0 to 20 g/day. The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. Regression analysis of their GHb and plasma AA values showed a statistically significant inverse association (eg, each 30 µmol/L increase in plasma AA concentration resulted in a decrease of 0.1 in GHb).

i already eat no sugar and as low as i can, so i dont know how can i reverse

I had to go low-carb by avoiding everything with grains (bread, nuddles, rice..), starchy (potatoes) and replace with healthy fats (nothing with seed-oils).

struggling to find a cardiologist

Don't have high hopes. I found a silent stroke on an brain MRI. Only comment from cardiologist: I don't know what that means.

With no help from that quader, I helped myself: https://www.longecity.org/forum/stacks/stack/111-pad-and-additional-remissions/

Tammy

Your pancreas won't be in good condition if your liver isn't in good condition. If it were me, I would go low fat so that your liver is able to function better. PART of what makes a sluggish/fatty liver is too much fat in the diet. Fatty liver equals a sub par functioning pancreas.

pamojja

Your pancreas won't be in good condition if your liver isn't in good condition. If it were me, I would go low fat so that your liver is able to function better.

Actually could not only reverse diabetes but also a NAFDL as side-effect of changing from extremely low fat as a vegetarian for 30 years, to high fat (about 70% of calories from diet). Everyone is different. All formerly present scar-tissues in my liver gone too.

joshualevy

My "2 cents worth":
1. There are a lot of medicines for type 2 diabetes which are not Metformin. Look into non-Metformin options.
2. I think that low sugar is the first step to low carb, but you should continue with low carb, not just low sugar. Lower your consumption of grains, beans, etc. In addition to sugar in all its forms.