• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensitivity to Specific Activity

I started a new hobby (photography) several years ago and because I love it so much, I tended to often do too much physically while photographing, which brought on symptoms. Now, just picking up the camera and taking a couple of shots sets off symptoms even though this is way below my threshold of too much physical activity in general. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems, and if so, do you have any ideas what to do about it?

are you able to hone it down to specific triggers? i have to move around like a 70 yr old man to avoid triggering anything myself. i know my triggers are sunlight, heat, and physical activity that brings me to anything more than a very light sweat, as well as alcohol & coffee.

try to investigate what exactly about photography triggers symptoms- the outdoors, the increased heart rate, the heat from movement, etc

taniaaust1

Excitement can also trigger symptoms (any kind of emotional extremes can).... if u really love doing photography.. maybe the anticipation of doing this is helping to trigger of your symptoms. or it could be the "focus and concentration" involved in this activity rather then the physicalness of doing it .. helping to trigger things off too.

ukxmrv

Holding my arms up to take a photo is really hard for me. Every activity like that is (i.e. folding clothes, brushing hair etc). It's the raising of the arms.

Does the same thing happen when you use a tripod or stand for the camera?

Do you have a heart rate / BP monitor or some other way of trying to determine what is happening.

If it is related to holding your arms up it may be POTS or similar blood flow problem.

taniaaust1

Holding my arms up to take a photo is really hard for me. Every activity like that is (i.e. folding clothes, brushing hair etc). It's the raising of the arms.

Does the same thing happen when you use a tripod or stand for the camera?

Do you have a heart rate / BP monitor or some other way of trying to determine what is happening.

If it is related to holding your arms up it may be POTS or similar blood flow problem.

Good post ukxmrv.. i didnt think of that even thou I have POTS and raising both my arms up can set it off.

Clarification. I used to be able to do some photography with no problem. Sometimes I kept at it too long, and brought on symptoms. This was not surprising, as I was doing an amount of physical activity that would tend to bring on symptoms with other activities. Now, I barely touch the camera and get symptoms. I think because I overdid many times with this activity that I sensitized myself to it in some way. I'm looking for people who have experienced this general phenomenon and perhaps have ideas about how to minimize this.