• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seborrhoeic dermatitis anyone?

stp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Hello. I've had CFS for 3 years and have had a patch of this develop on the side of my face and a spot under my bottom lip for just over two years now. It comes and goes but recently has gotten much more "angry" and seems to be spreading to more areas on my face. I've always had the itchy skin symptom all over my body during my bought with CFS but this something much more annoying and embarrassing. Does anyone else on here suffer from this condition?

By the way I don't think it's a coincidence that immune disorder is mentioned as a possible cause in the development of it.

The condition is one of the autonomic signs of Parkinson's disease.

Those with immunodeficiency (especially infection with HIV) and with neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease and stroke are particularly prone to it.

caledonia

Yes, I had it (self diagnosed) in my ears and it eventually spread to around my eyes. I had it for about a year. I could keep it at bay with aloe vera gel. Then I took high dose vitamin C for another reason (BioEnergyC is the exact brand, vitamin C buffered with ribose), and it went away and hasn't returned. That's been a couple of years.

Stone

I have it as well. It's in my eyebrows, around the sides of my nose, in my ears and around my hairline. This runs in my family. My mom and aunt and grandmother all had it. I've had it for years. It comes and goes. It's worse when I'm sicker, and also if I let my face get oily from not washing it frequently enough. It's really important to keep your hair, face and ears washed to discourage outbreaks/flares.

I've tried all kinds of things for it, both prescription and over the counter. The best things I've found are Nizoral shampoo (the prescription strength, which is stronger than the over the counter version and thankfully doesn't have added fragrance). The other very helpful treatment is an over the counter product called "Scalpicin" which is 1% hydrocortisone in a watery solution. This works the very best, and especially if you apply it at the first sign of an outbreak. In the past I had some success using a coal-tar shampoo by Neutrogena called T-Gel but it stopped working after a number of years.

snowathlete

I have this. My GP diagnosed it a few years ago when it first appeared on my right eyebrow. I had it from about the same time I got the ME/CFS, which was the same time from which i started getting oily skin on my head - I wash at least twice a day, sometimes more because my skin can get so oily. I think regular hygeine does help but not enough on its own. I forgot what it was called until I looked in my medical records today. I now get it above my upper lip and behind my ears.

I also think it is really interesting that it potentially has an immune system component.

My GP prescribed the Nizoral - it didnt work for me, so he then prescribed Selsun (selenium sulphide 2.5% w/v). It works well, basically gets rid of it entirely, but if i stop using it then it comes back in a week. Haven't been able to eliminate it. Very annoying. Just ran out of it last week, which is why I'm writing this as guess what? It's back!

PhoenixBurger

Nizoral Shampoo handles this very well. Right now it is not available however as they are in the process of revamping their production facilities due to FDA scrutiny. It may not be back until later in 2013. You can find "Indian" version on ebay however, and it should be sufficient. The over the counter version is 1% ketoconazole and the prescription version is 2%. You can find 2% nizoral online without script from overseas websites.

snowathlete

Thanks PhoenixBurger, but Nizoral didn't work for me.

I've been reading some papers about it. Very common in AIDS patients, possibly related to CD4+ cells.

Treeman

Hi, this is an old thread but I also have a rash over my forehead and cheeks but never had this diagnosis. I first got it in 2004 and have since then, to the start of this year, been treating it every other day with a hydrocortisone cream. I started taking valacyclovir 14 months ago and this year the rash lessened (as my ME symptoms slowly reduce), so I have only been using Vaseline every other day to keep it at bay. However I started yesterday a trial of astragalus and it looks like it’s flared up again.