• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scalp itching

Hello,

My sister ( who is bedridden) has a new symptom developed scalp itching, which is quite intense. It comes and go.
Is there any creams or shampoos, or any thing else that we could use for her to ameliorate the itching.
She has already used a cortisone cream which doesn't help.
Also she is very sensitive with the odours.

Thank you!

JAH

I have that too and don’t know why.
The sensitivity to odors is a symptom of vestibulopathy. I talked about this with an ENT and was surprised that it is connected to sensitivity to light, sound, hearing your joints pop, hearing a heartbeat in your ears. If your sister has vertigo, that is also a symptom.

If you figure out the itchy scalp (peripheral neuropathy?) let me know.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I just started using this brand of shampoo to help with this. I am also sensitive to chemicals and this is fragrance free. The ingredients themselves have a smell but it does not bother me.

Also a few thoughts:

1) make sure to rinse all cleansers well because any residue can cause head itchiness. It does very badly for my mom if we do not rinse her hair all the way. Also just having oily hair for me can make my head itch sometimes.

2) Is she on any medications that have this as a side effect such as Midodrine?

Dechi

Any coal tar shampoo will do the job. It usually works very well and instantly. Then you need to use it for a while, maybe a few weeks, and then you can stop and use it as needed.

Hello! Sorry for my English. I have the same symptom, and in my case it is a symptom of MCAS.
In my case, It is usually triggered by a combination of items: high temperatures in summer or hot showers that I should avoid and some chemicals/shampoo perfumes (a long search until I found one that does not generate a reaction).
It also helped me a lot to take a low dose of atarax half an hour before the bath (I am extremely sensitive to medications and Atarax is the only antihistamine I tolerate)