• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Safest hypertension medication?

I'm in a bit of a situation. I've been on coversyl for about 3 months. Initially it did a great job with keeping BP down(went from 145-170/90-110 down to 120-140/80-90). A few weeks ago I started having a swallon throat feeling but not necessarily throat swelling in size, it just feels like it was swollen. And in the past couple of weeks I began having labored breathing and a head pressure feeling when laying down. I put these symptoms down to a dental infection/large cyst I have in my jaw that was discovered last month(this will be addressed in 2 weeks).

Last week I decided to stop taking my BP meds to see how it effected my anxiety, fatigue, sleep, stomach bloat and other symptoms. And at the same time I started doing an elimination diet(diet mostly potato, rice and chicken). After a couple of days the head pressure, labored breathing, bloating and throat feeling went down significantly if not entirely. I assumed it was the diet.

However today, I took my BP and it was 150/98 so I decided to go back on the conversyl, I took 1/2 a dose(2.5mg). But not long after taking it I noticed a bit of heavy breathing, some throat sensation and anxiety.

So now I'm in a jam, the conversyl which was initially producing no symptoms, appeared to be causing some pretty bad symptoms. Obviously I am going to discuss this with my doctor, but what alternatives should I expect?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
It seems you have a variation of the famous "ACE Inhibitor cough". You'll probably get switched to an ARB.

For least side effects, maybe ask to try a thiazide diuretic - or a potassium sparing diuretic if that fits better with CFS.