• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rhodiola Rosea - Mito Protectorant, neuro protectorant

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I wonder if it needs something else to work. By age 59.it no longer worked for me either. I have always taken a lot of antioxidants...I prioritize them #1 among my supplements. I have recently added astaxanthin to my regime because it's antioxidant power is 3000x Vitamin C and maybe 53x that of Vitamin E. Now I read it protects the mitochondria and helps with fatigue. So I logged in to pass on the clue that maybe astaxanthin would help. I know that I have always been sicker than others and my mother would just say take an E or a C and lie down... better than doing nothing. I read they help with stress and add endurance ability. So not a cure but helping you be stronger. When I talk with others about their supplements, I always find them taking little in the way of antioxidants. I know others don't have major allergies, don't have high homocysteine etc so may not need as much as me, but I always find it unsettling... my boyfriend - is he taking enough? If you take too much it becomes a pro oxidant. Hoqever astaxanthin never becomes a pro oxidant and it works both inside and outside the cell membrane, unlike C (outside) and E (inside). So astaxanthin is win-win. I can't say I noticed any difference since I started taking it but I take antioxidants on faith (backed by studies). I think as you age you need more antioxidants. Your immune system fires h2o2 (oxidant) at dead and dying cells, which cause a chain reaction of tissue damage only quenched by antioxidants. As you age you lose muscle mass - that's dead and dying cells. Your joints break down more - ditto. You see? More things going on to invoke the immune system, more need for antioxidants. If you have periodontal problems, got sun, got poison ivy or some sort of injury, caught cold, flu, other Infection...these all raise antioxidant requirements. Idk if it helps or how long it takes to help... but I'm taking it.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Long time ago I read Martin Pall wrote that cfs was due to a peroxynitrate (oxidant) problem. I am only on a cell phone, it's late, etc. But there are some papers out there about what happens when you.pit astaxanthin against petoxynitrate. I'm afraid it required more reading than I'm up fo now, but might be worth delving into.later.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
So I searched this website and found Nord wolf takes 12mg asraxanthin and he still sounds pretty bad. He does not take zinc except as in his multi. I think of this because despite tgat all these carotenoid are for the eyes, my father went blind and none if these carotenoid ir ocuvite things helped him. What helped him regain his eyesight was zinc 18mg for 2 months (due to ZnCuSOD antioxidant 8n eye). So... could zinc have relevance to cfs? Idk. But it can have relevance to fatigue and brain fog via thyroid. Zinc is required by the thyroid and barring any deficiency in thyroid vitamins (such as in Thyrocsin by Thorne), zinc acts like a dial to rev up your thyroid. TSH should be between 1 and 2.0. Any higher and studies show your thyroid is not working correctly (despite what the lab reference range, not based on science, says). So extra zinc may help fatigue - get copies of your labs - look at the actual numbers, nit the bogus reference range. When my TSH is only as far off as 2.4 (like now) I have problems with fatigue, brain zoning out, and difficulty dieting. Lots of things impede zinc absorption, like phytates. also, I find I get an upset stomach if I combine zinc with calcium, Vitamin C, or coffee. Idk 8f this helps. I take astaxantjin because I believe I need the antioxidant power. But it has been shown in studies to protect mitochondria... so it should have some benefit for cfs?

almost

Long time ago I read Martin Pall wrote that cfs was due to a peroxynitrate (oxidant) problem. I am only on a cell phone, it's late, etc. But there are some papers out there about what happens when you.pit astaxanthin against petoxynitrate. I'm afraid it required more reading than I'm up fo now, but might be worth delving into.later.
Thanks for this. I'll take a stab at finding the source. I don't really like this website, but this appears to be the best I could find first pass. I liked this overview.

A second pass found this.

Maybe the original? https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306987798908258?via=ihub (behind paywall)

Looks interesting, but like a lot of old theories, if there was some traction I think we'd all know by now.

I like the herbal info too -- thanks to all.

Last edited:

belize44

when used in traditional chinese medicine, Rhodiola would not be used by itself, it would always be combined with other appropriate herbs.
I agree. Americans tend to jump on single ingredient herbs when they should be combined with others to balance and strengthen the effects. Chinese medicine, of course, does this.

Rufous McKinney

Chinese medicine, of course, does this.
one is a system, developed over a very long time frame (new herbs in Chinese medicine are from around 800 AD)

The other is Throw down some Random herb.

Now, it's also true that chinese herbalists cannot know about something on some other continent, used by some other culture. Its not in their "mix".

My herbalist got very concerned about my taking an herb from Iceland. Well, people in Iceland, like it alot. It's never been evaluated by chinese herbalists, thats all. I took it anyway, felt it helped me, but later on, it was hard to say if it did or didn't (the ME CFS syndrome).

belize44

My herbalist got very concerned about my taking an herb from Iceland. Well, people in Iceland, like it alot. It's never been evaluated by chinese herbalists, thats all. I took it anyway, felt it helped me, but later on, it was hard to say if it did or didn't (the ME CFS syndrome).
This disease is so damned fickle! So many things I have tried and felt a difference, and then for no reason it no longer works.

Rufous McKinney

So many things I have tried and felt a difference, and then for no reason it no longer works.

I swore this herb was helping my bladder. Then, oh some time passed, so I ordered another bottle and notice nothing beneficial.

darn bladder.

On my recent trip, I BEGGED my doctor for something to help the PAIN of this cystitis. He told me about THE PILL. Another pill, a great mystery. It's some dye, related to AZO. Do not take for more than two days.

so a dye helps my bladder out more than: the official bladder cure of Iceland.

belize44

I swore this herb was helping my bladder. Then, oh some time passed, so I ordered another bottle and notice nothing beneficial.

darn bladder.

On my recent trip, I BEGGED my doctor for something to help the PAIN of this cystitis. He told me about THE PILL. Another pill, a great mystery. It's some dye, related to AZO. Do not take for more than two days.

so a dye helps my bladder out more than: the official bladder cure of Iceland.
I have found pure Aloe Vera Capsules to be very soothing for I have interstitial as well.